1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it legal to own an AR15 in Calif. or not?

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by warren, Jun 12, 2013.

1. warren

warren Member

I own an AR15 Bushmaster and have been told that it is illegal in Calif and for me to take it into that state and I don't believe it. Am I right or wrong????

warren

2. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

Why don`t you call the California AG and ask them ?

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

To start, It has to have a "bullet button" permanently installed and maximum (10) Round magazine. Basically no you cannot just take your conventional AR15 to CA.

4. warren

warren Member

What is a "bullet button"?

warren

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Go to above link, scroll down, to 'bullet button.'

There is also a reference for 'Assault Weapons" in CA there as well, but it is the 1989 version NOT the most recent - be careful of changes...

6. edbon9

edbon9 Member

bushmasters were banned by 'name' look up at the flowchart above.
    so if you didn't register the rifle before 1999, yes, it is illegal
    even if you put a bullet button on the rifle. ar-15 style rifles are
    legal to own in california provided they are not on that list and
    they don't have any of the 'banned' features.

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

You would be foolish to bring an AR into California and declare it. The bullet button is being legislated out of existence as I write, even though it was a contrivance of the left in the first place, and even the cops in California don't know what the laws are they are so arcane and change so quickly. If you get caught with it you will absolutely lose it at best and very possibly spend some time behind bars. Possibly a lot of time. The laws are "known" according to whatever cop catches you and what their personal take on those kinds of firearms is. It can run anywhere from "nice gun, I have one just like it" to you're under arrest, turn around and put your hands behind your back" with a handgun pointed in the middle of your brisket. California is a very dangerous place these days.

8. Avatar

One of the laws up before the California legislature would ban any semi with detachable magazine, even the .22 Coast-to-Coast I had as a kid. Definitely not what the founders had in mind. By analogy, the King's Men would have kept their muskets while the Minutemen would have been limited to beanshooters. Legislators who really believe in such a disparity between government and citizen firepower should at least be honest about it and forthrightly push for a repeal of the 2nd Am.

9. Leftysmokum

Leftysmokum Member

Ok---I own several ar-15 style rifles all bought in Calif. and yes they must have a bullet button which is a magazine release and you must use only ten round mags.---take rifle to a FFL dealer and they will register it in calif. for appox. fifty dollars then you are calif. legal---their are hundreds being bought here daily---what the future will bring I do not know.---Tomorrow is the local Friends of the NRA dinner where thousands of dollars will be raised to fight gun control---not just in CALIF. BUT ALL ACROSS the USA---WE ARE AS GUN OWNERS IN THIS FIGHT TOGETHER---CALIF.GUN OWNER,TARGET SHOOTER,HUNTER AND NO LONGER A MEMBER OF THE SILENT MAJORITY---

10. warren

warren Member

Ah the golden state???? I have no intention of taking it into Calif. in fact I have no intention of going there myself. I was born and raised in the central valley and it was a great place to live at one time, no more. Thanks for the info guys.

warren

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Details like bullet buttons, fixed mags, etc., have no bearing on an AR15 made by Bushmaster. The Bushmaster name is specifically cited in the ban, and if it is not grandfathering in via registration, you cannot possess it in California.

The confusion is with what's called "off list lowers". These are AR15 lowers made by companies OTHER than what is cited in the law.

So if you are visiting or moving to California, DO NOT take your Bushmaster there. You are risking a felony charge and loss of gun ownership for life. If you are moving, sell it and get something cobbled up that meets California laws. A California dealer specializing in this can help you.

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I remember a San Diego cop shooting a guy that waved a concrete flat brick pointer at him on the freeway after s traffic stop. And there were a number of cops facing the purported bad guy. You don't need a AR-15.

13. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Why would anyone move to Kalifornia?

14. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

I just love the level of knowledge about gun laws in this state!

I just bought a Bushmaster Carbon 15 2 days ago from a Turners Outdoorsman a retail outfit in Oxnard CA!

If it was illegal to own I could not have bought it from a retail outfit, and they would get in more trouble for selling it to me than I would get in for buying it.

It has a bullet button and a 10 rnd mag and those are the only stipulations.

No other laws have been passed and even if they are, they will get challenged and shot down.

Randy

15. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I was born and raised in California. I moved in 1970 to Texas, because there was nothing for me to do there.(Another long story). Anyway, my Dad still lives there, and my brother, and two step brothers and a step sister. I've been gone for 43 years, and it was the best move I ever made. I still go back to visit, but I'm glad I'm gone.

Nobody speaks English, you get flipped off on the road everyday, and so forth. It was and is a great state, but I just couldn't live there anymore.

My family came there in 1849 and 1850. Anyway, it is what it is. Charlie

16. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

I have no intention of taking ANY gun to Calif. Since it was taken over by all the whack job, liberal MORONS, I doubt if I ever go there again!!!! I just feel sorry for the good people who have to live there!!!

17. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

You mean like the good people of Colorado who have gotten screwed by Liberal politicians fubnded by GEo Soros in the last election.

I keep telling you guys the fight is in CA! You can either beileve me or fight it in your own state when it arrives.

Anywhere there is a close divide between R and D representatives you will see strategies in place to steal those states.

Soros funds the campaigns of democrats in those states and provide funding to run negative press on the opposition.

You guys need to wise up. Saying you'll have nothing to do with CA is foolish, you will be affected by what our idiot politicians do eventually whether you like it or not!

What we need is national support for our conservative politicans in CA so that we can regain control of this state. This is a big job, and that's why we need your support.

Only then will YOU be safe.

Randy

18. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I think spelling AR-15 is against the law in the Peoples' Republic of California. Old saying, "So goes California, so goes the rest of the Country", hope that's not true; if so, we up sh$t creek without a paddle. BT100dc

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    W.R.Buchanan, quote: <i>"I just love the level of knowledge about gun laws in this state!

I just bought a Bushmaster Carbon 15 2 days ago from a Turners Outdoorsman a retail outfit in Oxnard CA!

If it was illegal to own I could not have bought it from a retail outfit, and they would get in more trouble for selling it to me than I would get in for buying it.

It has a bullet button and a 10 rnd mag and those are the only stipulations.

No other laws have been passed and even if they are, they will get challenged and shot down.

Randy"</i>

So it has a threaded barrel, removable flash hider, telestock and bayonet lug too?

How about a photo?

20. pca7ggr

pca7ggr Member

I recently traded a Beretta o/u shotgun for an AR-15. It is legally registered.

The seller added the required "bullet button" that makes it a bit of a pain to detach and swap a spent magazine (you need to used something like the tip of a bullet to poke a captured button to release the magazine). In addition, no mags with a capacity over 10-rounds are allowed (I have twenty round ones limited to ten that are easier to install/remove).

If the AR-15 has these two limitation and the receiver is made by a manufacture on the allowed list (mine is Sharps), then you can own an A%R-15 in the Republic of CA.