1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it hard to take an inch off a recoil pad?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I have 2 870TC's. One I shoot great holding a 97 avg with it but it is getting older. I have another one that has almost no shells thru it but I don't shoot it very well. The one I shoot good has a 13 3/4" pull the other has a 14 1/4" pull and I think that is the problem, Could a guy take a half inch off the inside of the recoil pad? it is 1" thick

2. Bobby 47

Bobby 47 TS Member

targetmaster it may not be the length of stock thats the probelm.Before you do any cutting,put the shorter stock on the newer 870 and take out for a test drive. cheers! bobby

3. Shawn

Shawn Member

Bobby gives you good advice.
    If you don't want to change stocks I would buy a 1/2 thick pad and try that.

Shawn

4. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Change the stocks.

5. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I guessed it must be length of pull because the guns were made 6 months apart and everything else is made the same step rib 30"bbls and so on but the stock looks are very different in appearance so it would look funny changing stocks

6. 100straight

100straight Member

Yep... It's all about how the gun looks.

Sorry. I couldn't help myself :)

7. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Did you buy them NIB?? Most TCs I've seen were 14 1\4 LOP, sounds like maybe somebody cut the stock on the short one. As suggested try just changing the stock first, then if that makes both guns equal have gunsmith match the one you like. Or if it's just a color difference between the two guns change the fore-ends too. Best bet would be to have them both the same so you could have a back-up or at least a choice of which one felt the best that particular day. Ross Puls

8. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I did'nt buy them new in the box and yes I think someone shortened the 13 3/4 one. Do you think that half inch would make much difference in how you shoot or is it more in my head?

9. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

half inch is HUGE in gunfit!

10. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

EuroJoe: Nailed it. Ross

11. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The answer is "no." You can't take a half inch off a pad. Pad's are constructed
    with a hollow center section. You have to get a different pad that is thinner.
    1/2 inch is about as thin as you can get.

12. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

If you have a pad that is a thick one like some of the Kick-EZ you could put it in the band saw take 1/2" inch off, then use a belt sander to put a radius on the pad.

It's not impossibe.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

13. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Gary

I think you would have to cut from the back of the pad, as the front has the hard plastic piece to hold it to the stock.

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

There is a pad made by Pachmeyer called "Triple Magnum" that is the thickest pad I know of. Nice on the shoulder.

15. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

Hey Targetmaster,

Yes the LOP is very important for fit and comfort. But also check the Point of impact, bore diameter and choke on each barrel. A simpler thing also to do is just switch the barrel on the gun you do not shoot as well to the gun you do shoot well and see if your scores are the same. You may be suprised. Some Remington barrels shoot better than others.

Hit 'em hard,

John

16. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Targetmaster, yes, "is it more in my head" is the answer. ...just switch the &%@#*&g stocks!

17. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Sounds like the lop could very well be the problem to me. If I was you I would either trade stocks and see how the new gun shot with the old stock, not too hard to do, or stick a thinner pad on the new stock. Somebody around the GC probably has an old pad you could try wouldn't have to fit perfect just to try.

Don't go to cutting on the pad you have, BTDT and it can go ugly quick, even if it works you'll be buying a new pad anyways.

18. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

If the gun that you shoot well is still shooting, why are you trying to shoot the other gun? Is it because you are a trapshooter, and this is what we do. Jon

19. gridlock

gridlock Member

Remind me not to have Dr. Longsquat do any stock work.

20. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Cutting a thick pad for trial purpose only, get a grip gridlock.

I answered his question did you?

You could also try w/o a pad.

I have some extra thin pads if he needs one, he can PM me.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.