1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

IS it a starter or solenoid?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 686beretta, Oct 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

I have a 1993 Taurus with a 3.8 engine. Today I filled it up with gas got in it to go home and nothing. It would not offer to crank. The battery was replaced back in June. Is it the starter or solenoid or something else? When I turn the key there is no sound.

If it is not one of these what could it be? When this happened the tach when across from 0 all the way to 7,000 but the engine never started.

Let me know, thanks everyone.

2. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

There is a fuel pump cut solenoid that may be the culprit. Check to see if you can reset it. Check your battery connections even though you know the battery is fairly new. You didn't indicate if you tried to jump start it. Jackie B.

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

Check the ground.

Don Verna

4. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Check your battery connections. Could be lots of things, ignition switch, neutral safety switch, best to get a wiring diagram and trace it out. Might even be the battery, they just die sometimes without warning.

5. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Could be a lot of things, but I would replace the battery cables, even if that isn't the problem now, because it will be one day.

I now replace battery cables when they get 10 years old.

Good luck.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I replace the solenoid on my Chevy pickup but the intermittent failure to crank symptom continued. Turned out it was the gear shifter interlock switch (which allows cranking only in park and neutral).

Dunno if the Taurus uses a mechanical switch like that or not.

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Transmission Range Sensor (neutral sw), Battery cables, Ignition Switch, starter (Solenoid and starter are integral unit), low battery. Solenoid may be changed separately. There may also be a relay that controls the solenoid. Not sure on the 93, since it's older than my memory. Do any "lights" on the dash come on? Do they turn off when you try to crank? The inertia fuel switch would just turn off the fuel pump and not prevent the engine from cranking. If the battery is low, you need to check out the charging system and battery.

There are so many things that can cause the issue. A wiring diagram would be a good place to start, provided you know how to read one and what to do with it.

Battery cables/terminal ends have been problematic on these vehicles. Inn any event, a "No Crank" condition would warrant looking at the starting system from one end to the other until the problem is found. Check the battery voltage and go from there.

8. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Could be a lot of different things. Quack offers some good advice here. Start by checking battery voltage and go from there.

My money is on a corroded wire....somewhere.

9. Etiquette

Etiquette Member

Will it crank with shift in neutral??

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

What Don said. Check the integrity of the cables from battery to engine and/or chassis ground first. Likely loose or corroded.

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Wife had a 1990 Taurus LX with a 3.8 engine.

Had the same thing happen.

It was the ignition switch in the steering column (the part the key goes into) that had to be replaced.

12. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Fords had issues with the cables on the starter corroding.That would be my first place to look.

Sandy Holehouse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.