1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it a lost target ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Oct 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Sep 26, 2010

Our trap range has about a dozen trap houses.

Shooting from station one on a hard right target (a straight away from station one), I shoot and the clay breaks.

At the same moment from an adjoining trap house, a target is thrown hard left.

As I shoot and break my target, I see the target from the other trap house in the immediate background of my target perfectly aligned with my barrel. As I shoot, the other target breaks.

Could not reproduce this in a million years.

First, the shooter at the other trap house could have fired simultaneously and broke his own target. This is the likely case.

If he did shoot, it is possible that he missed, but not likely at our trap range because missing is reserved for me.

If the other shooter had not already fired and I had actually broken the distant target (his target), would the other shooter have a missed (lost) target, a broken target with a reshoot, or would everyone be satisfied with giving the other shooter a recorded break ?

Or what if the other shooter fired after his target was broken by my shot ?

If I had shot a 25 Straight on this relay, would breaking the other target count as breaking 26 out of 25 and thereby ruin all known trap shooting probability calculations based on binomial distributions.

Would the appropriate ruling change after a prime rib dinner and drinks ?

Would the 23½ degree tilt of the Earth be affected and global warming be stopped ?

This was just an informal Sunday afternoon shoot. Not a registered ATA competition.

A little different thing to worry about.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2009
    IL(The gun friendly Southern Part)
    Sounds as if your trap field layouts are too close to each other. As to the scoring of this freak thing, beats me.---Matt
  3. 87AA

87AA TS Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Classic example of tie goes to the runner. Dead bird.
  4. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Your target is dead.

Shooter on adjacent field should be assessed no bird and gets to repeat shot (assuming he didn't fire). If he did fire then target is scored dead and he owes you a beer.
  5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Hmmm sarge. Better than if you missed your bird and shot the dove I bet. :)
  6. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

Jun 30, 2006
    The dove was involved in a terrible accident. There was no intent to harm it, as demonstrated by the broken target. IMHO Ron
  7. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

Jan 29, 1998
    This use to happen a lot at Marshall Gun Club when the trap fields were close together and and three hole targets were the norm. Hard to get the scorer to give you two for one. D Winter
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap shooting hard left clay target