1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Inflation Really Only 3%

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by jamesf, May 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamesf

jamesf TS Member

I keep hearing that inflation is low. Click on Today's Cash Prices Chart and you check for yourself what prices were a year ago compared to today.

Either I can't read or I need to take econ 101 again.

Jim

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Those prices are controlled mainly by supply and demand. Many of the items listed show a large increase in price. HMB

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Yes, inflation is only 3%.

... provided that you remove gasoline and other energy costs, food, medicine and medical care, and everything else that's gone up a shitload recently. In other words, keep changing the caluclation formula however necessary to get the result the federal government you to believe.

(kind of like the "unemployment" rate).

-Gary

4. shotgun 1

shotgun 1 Member

I can believe inflation is only up 3%. Them fellers would never pull our leg about something so serious. I just wish groceries, gas, and shot were only up that much, to.
    Dave

5. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

The BS key is "seasonally adjusted"

6. hebbard

hebbard TS Member

No, it's worse than "seasonal" adjustments. The BS factor is that the CPI has been gutted. If we used the same measurement that we had in 1978, the increase would be 10%, not 3%. See the link below.

http://www.newsweek.com/2011/05/01/sticker-shock.html

Mike H

7. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Gary is right,,,,they (FEDS) pull out energy, food and housing to come up with the CPI,,,,this allows them to give a lesser increase to SS,,,,while this is bad, imagine the shape SS would be in if they had put inflationary increased into the payments during the carter years....

8. over/under

over/under Member

GW hits the nail on the head. Figures the 2 things you use everyday are not included in inflation. With gas up over 100% since Hussein took office why wouldn't inflation be 100%. Hows that change workin for ya?

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Funny how they NEVER include taxes and "fees" in their inflation figures.

10. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Yes, inflation is only up 3%. That small increase applies only to the pencil-neck geeks who are in charge of deciding what goods and services go into the price index.

Apparently these people live in D.C. for free in their parent's basement, use public transportation or bicycle to their government jobs, and eat only the vegetables given out from Michelle Obama's White House garden.

11. jamesf

jamesf TS Member

Well, I heat my house, heat my hot water, cook and drive my car and lawn mower with energy. My family expects to eat 3 squares a day and I load lead into my cartridges. None of these are in the inflation figures? Why not?

Jim

12. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

The old adage used to be that,"figures lie, and liar's figure".

We have to put the 'progressive' spin on things with this ministration. It is now, "Liar's figure, and damn liar's figure more".

The Inflation rate is being manipulated like the unemployment rates. Real inflation is more >7%, just like the real unemployment rate is >16%.

Hell yes, the inflation rate is higher! We've become a nation of Dung Beatles.

Kip

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Yes, inflation is only 3% and unemployment is only 9%. Forget what you see and feel, trust the figures .......

14. jamesf

jamesf TS Member

Maybe the following story is true also?

Jim

Most people don't know that back in 1912, Hellmann's mayonnaise was manufactured in England . In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico , which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its
    stop in New York.

This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico . But as we know, the great ship did not make it to New York . The ship hit an iceberg and sank, and the cargo was forever lost.

The people of Mexico , who were crazy about mayonnaise, and were eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was so great, that they declared a National Day of Mourning, which they still observed to this day.

The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5th and is known, of course, as Sinko de Mayo.

WHAT?? You expected something educational from me?

15. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Anytime a person starts talking percentages, ask to see the raw numbers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.