1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is heavy recoiling Winchesters the norm?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ec90t, Feb 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I have owned about every model of Winchester trap gun ther is. From M-12's to 101's and so forth. I finally got the oppertunity to shoot my SX-1 last night. Man does that gun kick. I was shooting a standard 3 dram 1 1/8oz shell and the recoil got my attention. While not abtrusive, I definitly knew it was there. My 870 comp is softer recoiling. Is this the norm?

ec90t

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If a gun fits you it should not kick to the point where its abusive ... My wife shoots a Model 12 with an Anton stock on it and it does not kick her and she is not a big woman ... Its not the gun, its the fit thats the problem ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

WPT,

I'm not buying that. Both my 870 and this SX-1 wear straight cast M/C stocks. The drop and LOP are also nearly identicle. I can shoot a 1330 PFS 1 1/8 shell out of my comp and it is softer shooting than 3dr in the SX-1! While the SX-1 doesn't bite my face, it definitly shoves my shoulder.

The only Winchester that I've ever owned that didn't kick hard was a SX-2 sporting.

ec90t

4. ramen39

ramen39 Member

I had A 101 that kicked the snot out of me.

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Some people are overly sensitive to recoil. My 101 has no noticiable recoil.

6. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

The Diamond Grade 101 that beat hell out of me was a bird crusher but she jumped up and bit my cheek too. I really never noticed until the cheek was so sore as to make me flinch. I traded it for a Ljutic and I'm not going back. I just hope the flinch I developed from the Winchester will go away. It was coming up about three times in a round of 100. I've had to take several months off of shooting or anything else because of the overtime we have been working and now it's the weather that is holding us from shooting. I can't wait for a little better weather to practice again. Dan

7. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

1330 fps with a 1 1/8 oz load is not allowed for ATA competition. 1290 fps is the max.

8. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Damn 101's kick even when they are in the box.

AJ100

9. ec90t

ec90t Guest

N.J.BOB,

I'm a game shooter not a ATA shooter. I also enjoy Sporting and Skeet as well. Which makes me a bit of an outcast around here.

Mike,

That's the only difference between the two. My Comp has a bit of negative pitch and the SX doesn't.

ec90t

10. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Is the bolt buffer in the gun ? Jeff

11. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

The bolt buffer doesn't really do anything to soften recoil. Eric, An 1100 remington they are not. I am into SX-1's about as much as anybody but you will never hear me say they are soft on recoil. Now... with that said they don't kick that much. I have shot two sx-1's that for whatever reason seemed to kick and when the investigations were done we determined that the gas ports had been opened way too much. Check your ports. How far were your emptys going? The recoil spring does have some effect on felt recoil and a noticeable effect on how far the empty goes. E-mail me if you want and we can try and get to the bottom of this as I have owned several 870 comps and they didn't have less felt recoil then my SX-1's. Jeff sx1jeff@yaho.com

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

and Winchester 101's do kick while they are under the bed. Sometimes after a long day at work I have to come home and push all the 101's back under the bed......Either that or the wifes boyfriend has been playing with my shotguns again. Jeff

13. elmo

elmo Member

Thanks alot guys. Now Im going to be flinching. I never knew my Sx-1 was kicking the snot out of me. OH my poor shoulder.

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have owned and shot many Winchester's and once they were made to fit me they never hurt and kicked me again ... I'm talking a couple of 101's, several Model 12's, even had a Model 1200 and 1400 that I didn't shoot much but never got beat by them once they were made to fit ... My wife is all of 5'2 and 135#'s and she shoots a Model 12 with an Anton Rollover on it but it fits her like a glove ... I bought her an 1100 so she could choose which one she wanted to shoot and she picked the Model 12, so that should tell you something ... It usually don't take much to make a gun fit or not fit, but a gun that fits will not kick and hurt you ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

The causes of "felt" recoil are several. In order of importance they are:

Fit/shooting form - how well the dimensions of the stock fit the shooter's size and shape (The position of this cause is open to argument. I put it at the top of the list because some shooters are bothered by the recoil of 1100s, which is usually judged to be a soft shooting gun.
    Fit also determines the shooting form, particularly the gun mount, that can be used and the form can also affect perceived or felt recoil, e.g., the position of the head affects the way the cheek makes contact with the comb.

Weight and velocity of the shot load

Type of action - gas semi-auto, mechanical semi-auto, all others

Weight of the gun

Increase the weight of the gun by 10% and get a 10% reduction in "felt" recoil

Decrease either the velocity OR the weight of the shot load and get a 20% reduction in felt recoil.

Like felt recoil, shooters' sensitivity to recoil should also be in the list of causes somewhere but since it is a subjective, I have no idea where to put it.

Rollin

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

Nice list Rollin, but- if a 10% increase in gun weight results in a 10% decrease in recoil, than a 100% increase in weight would eliminate all recoil. I do not want to think about what a 125% increase in gun weight would do.

Another factor affecting felt recoil is the grip force used by the shooter. Our hands and arms an absorb a lot of recoil.

Pat Ireland

17. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Jeff, send the 101's my way if they are troublesome as I will board them for free.. I will also try and train them to behave while in my care :)

18. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Pbigbore your are abouslety right about the pitch. If I have a gun that kicks the heck out of me that is the first thing I look for and change. Works the first time on most guns.

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Super X's always seemed to kick slightly more than the competitors gas pipe. Maybe it's because they always seemed to have stocks that were cast on and actually fit lefties so much better. Another problem was the factory recoil pad that always seemed brick-hard. I'm sure they didn't soften much after 30 years so that's a good place to start by replaceing it!!

20. mad frank

mad frank TS Member

My Winchester 101 has very mildly felt recoil. It's like WPT said it's in the fit.
    Frank

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.