1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

== Is Deer Hunting Still a Sport? ==

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GW22, Oct 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I grew up hunting from age 7. I loved it. Hunting is necessary. I'm pro-hunting. Got that?

OK, but in my day we just grabbed our gun, went out in the woods and either had the skill, patience, luck and marksmanship to get some game or we didn't. The only "technology" we used was a compass so we could find our way back to the truck.

But I talk to deer hunters now and they go on about...

Food Plots...

Baiting...

Salt Licks...

Tree Stands...

Scent Block...

ATVs...

Infra Red Cameras...

Camouflage Clothing...

Deer Calls...

Antler Rattling...

Telescopic Sights...

So I just respectfully ask, is this really a sport?

I mean, it's a challenge just getting to work each morning without a couple deer bouncing off my hood ornament. So at what point does it become basically equivalent to "hunting" at the zoo?

Just askin'.

-Gary

2. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

You forgot walkie-talkies, 4-wheel giant trucks, and electronic dog tracking devices. It ain't huntin'...it's herding.

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Right. So what's the point?

-Gary

4. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

Hunting season means spending time with the family at hunting camp, getting out in the woods, maybe getting a deer, but most of all, its just the guys having a good time. Our camp is near Erie PA, my dad inherited 70 acres and a house from his aunt and uncle and we turned the 2 car garage into our camp over the years. Now the whole family enjoys this place of solitude year round.
    Yeah we plant food plots, but we still walk to our stands, using regular camo, no walkie talkies etc, we do it the old fashioned way.

There is more to hunting season than just going out to kill something. My nephews, ranging in age from 10 to 31 thinks its a great time to take my money in the evening card game, in front of the woodstove, while telling stories of years gone by.

THATS why I hunt

Oscar

5. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

Hunting season means spending time with the family at hunting camp, getting out in the woods, maybe getting a deer, but most of all, its just the guys having a good time. Our camp is near Erie PA, my dad inherited 70 acres and a house from his aunt and uncle and we turned the 2 car garage into our camp over the years. Now the whole family enjoys this place of solitude year round.
    Yeah we plant food plots, but we still walk to our stands, using regular camo, no walkie talkies etc, we do it the old fashioned way.

There is more to hunting season than just going out to kill something. My nephews, ranging in age from 10 to 31 thinks its a great time to take my money in the evening card game, in front of the woodstove, while telling stories of years gone by.

THATS why I hunt

Oscar

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Not everybody hunts with all those gadgets. I like bow hunting. With a bow, no matter how advanced the bow is you still have to pull off a remarkable feat to take an animal. Just drawing on an animal alone is an accomplishment in my eyes. To me it is still a sport.

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Gary,

I understand your point. We hunted the big woods in far northern Wisconsin. Deer hunting to me was roughing it compared to now days. We stayed in a one room cabin with bunk beds and a fireplace. Had a propane cooking stove and heater, that would always blow the pilot light out on ignition. First one out of bed started the fire place. No running water. The bathroom was outside. You know an actual outhouse. Nothing like doing your morning business outside when it is 15 below zero, and the trees are actually snapping and popping from the cold freezing and expaning the little water left inside. Only heat was your Coleman lantern you used for light. Walked to our open stands, non-heated, some times almost a mile back in the woods. The real PITA was the drag out. You learned the deer travel routes by looking for sign and figuring out there food source and watering areas. You had to hunt for the animals. But you know what, those where the best of times when deer hunting season came around. Always looked forward to getting together with the same friends every year. The practical jokes and different games we came up with besides the normal cards and dice, with things laying around the cabin. Very rarely left the cabin for 10 days straight. To me sitting in a heated box, over a bait pile, or food plot that you drove your ATV to is not any more challenging than shooting cattle from the barn. Bowhunting is obviously a different game. The problem I have with this, is when kids are brought into this type of hunting they never have the opportunities to actually learn for themselves what it is like to actually have to work for that animal, through there own knowledge gathering and understanding of how these animals survive. Also they gain respect for the animal from the challenge, and it's not just a target. Just my opinion. Jon

8. earlybird

earlybird TS Member

It really doesn't matter HOW you go about it, so long as you are going about it. This reminds me of traditional archers blowing off those who use compound bows, and is equally a load of crap. How about leaving your gun home and using a rock?

Granted, things get a little over the top. Name one sport that a bunch of guys get involved with that doesn't get pretty excessive. Golf? Trapshooting? Poker? Fishing? You may be able to think of one- I can't. I think it's our nature, and not necessarily a bad thing. As an aside, it seems to me that the degree of overkill often is in direct proportion to the geographical distance you have to travel to participate, or inverse proportion to the time you have to participate. The guy who can drive to the edge of town every day during the season to hunt pheasants on his uncle's farm will be grossly underequipped compared to the guy who gets to do one 3-day hunt 300 miles away. -just sayin'

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I remember a snotty, condescending gun magazine writer who all but said anyone not using a single shot rifle was a slob hunter. I remember his quote well, "If I cannot take the animal with one shot I neither want it nor deserve it." So, if he doesn't kill it with one shot does he walk off and leave it because he no longer wants it nor does he deserve it?

BTW, my favorite rifles are the Winchester (and Browning) 1885 Single Shots. But you'll never hear me uttering nonsense like that jerk.

10. copper

copper Member

TV has changed hunting , fishing marketing every thing a lot of my friends who hunt both deer and small game talk of the deer craze is reason for the posted signs and attitude change of hunting from I love seeing people out hunting to stay off my land . Of course deer numbers have changed also some places are lousy with white tails danger driving down the road in the day time in yards un herd of when I was young. Welcome to new world of hunting. The good old days are gone. Personally some things in my mind don,t look great on TV Hunting is one of them. When I was a kid you go into woods after fresh snow you would see one set of deer tracks in miles of walking. My parents now can,t keep a flower they are in there yard in middle of day.

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Yes, I have a lot of respect for the bow hunters and I have no problem with the gun hunters because the deer need to be thinned out. I'm just wondering if there's any real sense of accomplishment when you shoot a deer with all the gadgetry and shortcuts being used today.

When I was about 10 I hunted squirrels with a .410 bore Wingmaster. By the time I was 12 I realized it wasn't sporting and switched to a rifle. That was always sporting, to a degree, but by high school I preferrred hunting squirrels with my Single Six revolver. I'd only get a squirrel once out of every three or four mornings in the woods but at least taking one with a revolver felt like an accomplishment. Especially because you had to make sure you had a safe background. That seems more like "hunting" to me.

Just my opinion.

-Gary

12. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Yeah hunting with all those gadgets isn't fair! Not like trapshooting where we use the old traditonal guns with no devices to enhance our advantage. Come on people! We are clever, thinking individuals. There's always going to be a better mousetrap.

13. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

"I'm just wondering if there's any real sense of accomplishment when you shoot a deer with all the gedgetry and shortcuts being used today. "

Ever see what our military brings out to shoot an Afghan with an AK hiding behind a rock?

I wonder if today's hunter could take a deer if they had only a single shot, coat, boots and hat.

14. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Follow the money, it's all about buisness.

Marketing Marketing Marketing.

The promotion, presentation and exicussion of a new idea sells product, plain and simple.

15. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

391 shooter is correct, it is marketing. Watch the TV shows and videos, and all these TV hunters and fishermen are paid to use all these products so the manufacturer can sell them. All it takes is for one TV guy to kill a giant buck or catch a big bass with some new fangled gadget to get everybody wanting one. I've heard it said that most fishing lures are designed to catch fishermen , not fish. I'm sure it is the same way with hunting gadgets. Just because the technology is there does not mean you have to use it. Be glad the technology is here and that people are buying this stuff. There are thousands of jobs and businesses that depend on all us sportsmen and women that spend millions of dollars every year with hopes of taking a huge buck or trophy fish with their products.

16. 3357

3357 Member

I live in Michigan, and here at least, I have come to think of it as deer "shooting", rather than hunting. They do however still taste great.

17. Willus

Willus TS Member

Looks like G.W.22 is fishing, and caught a few. I think that shooting trap, with high rib guns special fitted stocks, thick recoil pads, colored glasses, what happened to the old way, not any fun now days. What is the point.

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

It is what you make of it. If you need TV to tell you how to do it or what you should get out of it then this probably isn't going do much for you. The various degrees of technology and tactics are simply variations on a theme.

Wanna go retro? Build yourself a flintlock from scratch and sneak around in your hand stitched buckskins. Wanna hunt like grandpa did? Try a iron sighted cartridge rifle. My personal favorite is hunting with a quality bolt action that has quality optics and working spot and stalk approaches. I don't pack any real high tech garbage because I have enough trouble with the extra weight of the useful stuff in my day pack (food, water, blades, fire starters, first aid, game bags, spotting scope ...) Some guys still like recurve bows - different strokes for different folks.

If you have any doubts about deer hunting still being a sport then you need to get out a bit more and/or get away from the metro areas.

19. GW22

GW22 Active Member

"Our military shooting an Afghan with an AK hiding behind a rock" is war, not sport, and was never intended to be sporting. Clay shooting is competition and it is sporting because you compete against other humans with similar access to information and technology. So those are poor analogies.

Similarly, "Building a flintlock from scratch and sneaking around in your hand stitched buckskins" goes in the opposite direction to a preposterous extent.

All I'm saying is that no real "sportsman" can possibly get the same sense of accomplishment from modern day Zoo Hunting that they would get from an old-fashioned sporting hunt. I mean, if you put a nice mounted buck head on the wall of your den and somebody asks about it, what are you going to tell them?.. "Yeah, I baited that crafty sucker for three weeks then I drove my ATV out to the tree stand and shot him with my scoped rifle when he showed up to eat!" Does anybody not see how pathetic and ridiculously unsporting that is? Can you be proud of a kill taken that way?

-Gary

20. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Is Deer Hunting Still a Sport??? NO Its Not!!! Its A Businees!!! Look at the shows on TV and all the Hunting stores around. You forgot cloths,scents,GPS,and so much more there is not room enough on this page for all of them. Then add on to take your wife,son,daughter,dog and buy camo and all that stuff for them as well. Don't forget the sofa,beds, sheets,decals,lamps,glasses,dishes,mounts pix's and all the bric/a brac for the home. Yes I am pro hunting and pro fishing as well. Most every lure I've ever seen on the shelves at the bait store always caught more fisherman than fish. Real food always caught more fish. Alive is better than dead, period!!! shoot em all Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.