1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is choke too tight?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I have been shooting a CompnChoke full in my trap gun and most of the time when I shoot their is nothing left in the air the target just disappears. I'm a 23 to 25 shooter with it but mostly 23 because I will usually miss a couple wide angle targets. My question is should I back off to an Imp.Mod and loosen it up a bit or just keep the same choke and keep shooting that tight pattern at the hard angles till I start getting more 25 straights?

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Targetmaster, you will get alot of feedback on this question. I suggest you pattern your gun at 35 yards and look at the pattern you have. Then try again with a modified choke and a improved modified choke and then YOU WILL KNOW. Breake-m all. Jeff

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Les Greevy once told me, "Chokes are in inches. Misses are in feet."

4. racer

racer TS Member

If you can't find a tighter choke for your gun, stick with the full! Dan

5. brownk80

brownk80 Member

92 doesn't win too often. Use the full for practise and a IM or Mod for competition. Good luck

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

1. You're doing fine.

2. The misses are not due to the choke being too tight. They're due to mis-pointing the gun.

3. If you want to improve, stop worrying about the choke, and concentrate on the fundamentals (stance, foot position, gun fit, concentration) and consider taking a clinic by one of the reputable trap instructors like Frank Hoppe, Phil Kiner, Harlan Campbell, etc.

Good luck!

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Buy and read a copy of Dr A C Jones new book; it will open your eyes to chokes.

MK

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Learn how to read the trap, that way you won't have to shoot hard angles. HMB

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

If you want a really tight pattern at 35-40 yards, use a .22. Hap

10. Garry

Garry Active Member

What is the title of Dr. Jones new book on chokes?

11. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

12. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

targetmaster, I seriously doubt that the choke is an issue. The only reason that I personally would suggest a lesser degree of choke for you would be only for the fact that it gave more self confidence. I can bet that the extra couple inches in pattern width will not acquire those occasional two targets. Rather have someone watch and make sure that your not pushing into the stock on the swing. Also length could have a play. Ill fitted gun in general is a major factor. Improper POI. Its really tough to say without viewing.

HMB, trap reading is an urban myth! You know that.....

13. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

reading the trap is a myth but sometimes I find it irresistable to play the game. There has been a few times I was so certain of the directon the target would go that I have moved the gun in that direction in anticipation, big mistake. It is hard to recover. Changing chokes is a game I don't play. Put in the full choke and leave it alone.

14. soundaround

soundaround Member

I picked up about 6-7 targets per 100 when I went to a much more open choke. Is that because of more open pattern/choke or is it in confidence/my head. Does that even matter? One thing I have noticed is that I like practicing with both the full and the more open choke. Both are helpful. What I did not expect was the greater amount of feedback I receive from the more open choke when practicing by myself. My eyesight is not good enough to always know where I missed the target, so if instead of missing it completely I knock off a small piece I know where I was off.

15. missed some

missed some TS Member

chokes are like other things in life, never to tight..........

16. team henges

team henges TS Member

on station 1 and 5 rotate your stance a bit and hold about a foot outside of the house and youll cover a hard target better. At least this is what helps me on the hard lefts and rights

17. brewmaster

brewmaster Member

I agree with the guys who tell you to use the full. Why use a more open choke and miss more than the 2 you are missing now? The improved mod would be ok at 16 yards, but I think that the modified is too open. Like the man said, pattern both the full and the modified. I know which one you will use. Keep up the good work and when you figure out your problem, you are going to be one tough cookie to beat.

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I do not own or shoot guns with screw in chokes but the guns I shoot have full chokes ... If I was as good a shooter as the guns I shoot are I would never miss ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Depends if they are still breathing! LOL. I like to shoot full all the time. That way you will not shoot around a target, which really messes with the mind. If you miss a target you have to shoot better, instead of hoping a wider pattern will save you.

20. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Jerry and P-master it's a shame you have not figured out how to read the trap machine. It makes the game a lot easier. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shooting a tight full choke for 16s trapshooter