1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

is bondo the best product for working with wood

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lovethesport, May 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovethesport

lovethesport Member

Looking to convert a sporting stick to
    a pistol / glove grip like Intl skeet shooters

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

How about RatGrips? Watch the video.

-Gary

3. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

Rat grips are slick plastic I've tried it. The nice thing about rat grips is you can remove it from the stock completely if you ever want to sell the stock in factory form. I prefer the feel of bondo over the rat grip

4. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I have seen bondo crack from shooting. I have seen bondo used to make pattern stocks from which in-the-wood stock is duplicated. But I'm not so sure that I would trust bondo to hold up to the shock of repeated shooting.

5. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Start with the stuff that has short fibers in it for the strong, structural build. I haven't had it crack. You can finish coat with the more typical, chalky stuff.

6. lovethesport

lovethesport Member

I have tried rat grips and in real hot weather they become gooey...

Bondo cracks

Need something that is plastic based but will contact to wood...

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Bondo must be applied in thin layers. It was never intended to be put in a big gob as is necessary for this application.

8. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

I've also watched guys do fittings with bondo and they ad saw dust for fiber to hold it together better

9. tom90T

tom90T Member

You can buy a product on line called PC-Woody from Home Depot.com. This stuff is strong and stainable plus you can buy a powder pigment to use with it so you can color it to help match the wood. You can sand it and add more with ease. It will stay playable until you mold it the way you want it on the stock for a comb or grip or what ever you want to do with it.
    tom90T

10. lovethesport

lovethesport Member

Will look into pc-woody

11. Gixxerpilot750

Gixxerpilot750 TS Member

I'm looking to make a glove grip as well and wound up getting a product made by the same people that make JB Weld. It's a two part epoxy wood putty that comes in two plastic trays inside a box. I found it by the glues at my local Menards for about $25. It's called JB Weld Wood Restore Premium Epoxy Putty.
    Supposedly, a person can take the entire container, mix the parts together, then create one solid blob of moldable material rather than going in thin layers.

(Link included below)

http://www.jbweld.com/product/j-b-wood-restore-premium-epoxy-putty-3/

12. dsb

dsb Member

I used Devcon on my rifle build years ago. I used it to form the grip and forearm and inside to bed the action. It has never moved or cracked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.