1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is blinking a flintch?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RAScott, Jul 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RAScott

RAScott Member

Sometimes when I shoot at the target I blink just as I pull the trigger. not all the time. My question is, is this a form of a flintch? and has anyone had a similar problem. It is hard to notice it . but I believe thast i do it quite a bit. Any solutions? relese trigger?
    Bob S

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Yes you are flinching. It's only a problem if you miss the target and I'm guessing that is why you brought it up. If you cannot keep your eye on the target through the shot process then a release trigger might be the thing for you.

3. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

You're not alone Bob.

4. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I shoot a release and have found I blink sometimes as I release the trigger so thats not a definite solution . I try to keep my eyes as wide open as I can but forget as I`m also trying to focus on the target.

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Likely it is a "crossfire" reaction and the "flinch" is your mind doubting if you are on target at the time of pulling the trigger. Look into correcting that prior to going to release as most often when yo go to a release you create other situatiosn that will take a lot of targets to adjust to (saying nothing about the money involved).

6. Bob Hawkes

MIA, Your comment is very similar to a discussion I had with a very good shooter and occasional instructor of obvious talents and many years experience.
    Thanks, Bob. and remember to shoot often while we can.

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Bob. There was a time that all little "bumps" we encountered wre all fixed by going to release triggers. Knowing what I know now, my bumps wiere nothing more than crossfires and the late Frank Little insisted a release was my cure. It turned out to be wrong and my scores went down simpley because I still was crossfiring but now wiht the release trigger. Recoil has never been an issue.

Kiner's video and subsequent assesment that I was a constant cross-fire-er (every shot) was absolutly correct. If I had the video it would amaze everyone.

I am not saying Bob Scott has my problem, only that he sould investigate th eissue proir to spending so much on release equipment.

8. RAScott

RAScott Member

I appreciate the comments, my scores are all over the place, I thought that I was cross firing,I added a sight blinder.

Recoil is not a problem, my gun shoots very soft. I have noticed that when I shoot at times I blink. I try and blink before the shot and try and keep my eyes open however when you try and concintrate on the target you let other things go and then the blink may start.
    Bob S

9. Bob Hawkes

Bob,You can't be any more erratic than I've become recently and I think part of what you descrbe applies to me at times. You don't suppose it's the water at the club do you?? LOL. What really gets me is that I also am thrilled with my gun and I know the problem is with the jerk pulling the trigger.See you soon, Bob

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Loud sounds will also cause one to blink when shooting if hearing protection is inadequate, for your hearing! Check that possibility out too! Hap

11. RAScott

RAScott Member

The scores indicate that the water may be linked to it. I use foam ear plugs I have tried the custom rubber although the last pair the right side pops out when I mount the gun. I have had replacements made and the same thing. happens. Foam stay put and work well.

I will try the older plugs, that is a concideration. I notice that i will be going along good and all a sudden loss, I think that the gun was there the bird didnt break but did i just blink. and THEN the thinking starts.
    Bob S

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Blinking is a reflex that usually goes away quickly by habituation. If you move your finger rapidly toward your eye, you blink. But if you keep moving your finger toward your eye, you stop blinking quickly.

Pat Ireland

13. Bob Hawkes

Pyscho, Sometimes it pays to be lucky rather than good. Just got 99.50 for the horrible shooting. LOL. Shoot often while we can, Bob

14. RAScott

RAScott Member

Bob Hawkes I got 156.50 for my poor display 24 22 25 17 yikes. See you at the next shoot. The lobster was good though.

Bob S

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to stop blinking when shooting trap