1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is blind auction appropriate on this site

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by Bushmaster1313, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Is it appropriate to solicit bids on this site and take the highest bid over a certain price after a short specified time?

For example, could I post something like:

"Gun XYZ, best offer over $XXX received in next 24 hours"

Thanks

Lou

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

0   0   0

There have been a few auctions on TS.Com but for the most part are absolute and usually have no reserve ... I have bought some nice things on the auctions on here and never had a problem with the goods or the people selling them ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. Bushmaster1313

0   0   0

My concern is selling something for which I cannot estimate a reasonable price.

For example, I am thinking of offering a very early model of a popular gun. The stock is really nice but the metal looks bad. Hard to estimate fair value when the stock is probably worth a lot more to the right person who wants to install it on a vintage gun with a busted stock than the whole gun is worth to most buyers. I could set a minimum, but if the stock really has value I would not want to take a big loss.

4. Bushmaster1313

0   0   0

5. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

0   0   0

The problem will be who has last bid . The do it on other sites but there is a 3rd party to call last bid. This format is not good for that. My .02

6. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

0   0   0

Bushmaster1313 :

Myself I think it would be ok to say what the bottom dollar is and set a time when the bidding is over and if no one bids then you sell it for your asking price but if people are interested in it then it will bring probably a lot more.

That way it would be like selling it straight out but also getting more than you was willing to ask to begin with becasue im sure you was thinking of putting it on the other auction sites but myself I would like to see stuff offered here first if it is something that trap or skeet shooters would want.

But that's just my opinoin.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/foghorn220/animation/?action=view&current=Auctioneer_ani.gif" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

As ricks1 was talking about the last bid I hate the ebay and other sites on the last bidding anyway because when ever im bidding on something I want to know who is in the lead all the time but on the other sites they have an automatic bidder and I always loose out that is why I would just rather to buy something straight out instead of fooling with the hidden bid's

Foggy

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0

Fog. Once you learn how to work the last bid system it becomes your ally.

8. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

I think your issue is not one of the auction, but of the description of the item. As you state, you wish to sell a gun more for the stock than for the action/barrel, so just say that.

Most people here are honest - they are not looking to rip you off, but if I were buying a gun thinking I was getting a nice gun that might need the stock refinished, as opposed to a 'well used' gun with a good stock I might be PO'd, but I think you know that from the very fact you ask this question.

I do not see where you could go wrong if you explain the situation, include photos and go from there. Your logic makes sense relative to value being unknown, so an auction format is good logic.

Good luck,

David D

9. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0

I don't know about doing it all the time...I suppose if you're not sure what its worth its OK.

That said, I was on here the last three weeks selling stock blanks that were graciously donated to the ALaska state shoot by Scattergun Stocks to raise money for our youth program. It worked great for that, and I think it got some decent publicity for our donor.

10. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Yes. Dave T.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.