1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Art worth it?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Setterman, Oct 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Watched 60 minutes Sunday night, and they had a sequence about Vincent Van Gogh. Did you know he was fluent in 4 languages, heard voices, saw ghosts, and admitted himself to an asylum? At one point he even cut off his own ear because he was upset when his room mate (another painter) got tired of his crap and left him.

He was mocked by the patons of his own town, and considered nutso.

His art sucked big time. Nearly as good as Tron's. Rumor is he shot himself, or someone else got tired of him and helped him out.

So, why is his art treasured so much, and what in the hell do people see in art anyway? What do you learn or earn from Art? What good is it when our economy stinks and people are barely getting buy?

For that matter, what good are any of the performing arts?

I'm so confused.

Your Redneck buddy, Rosey

2. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Rosey, Not that I disagree with you, I do agree that some art is not for me. I have 13 (I think) fine wildlife art paintings in my collection. All by top, top artists. Some are rare and very valuable. Had some on display this year at the MO Fall Hdcp. What do I see in each of those paintings? An un-cut soybean field where I saw my first bird dog go on point as a pup. My grandpa arriving to help me track my first deer after he heard me shoot. A snow scene with whitetails late in winter that brings the smell of raw-crisp late winter air. In all the years I've collected art, I never once purchased a painting that didn't bring something once loved or cherished back to me like I was there again in that special moment. Writers like Gene Hill do the same thing. Bring life's great moments seemingly gone forever---back once again.

Hope this helps,

milt

3. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Milt, Enjoyed reading your post! You hit the nail on the head. :)

4. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Redneck Rosey:

Fine art is a joy forever. Google "Elvis on black velvet" or "Dogs playing poker" and see for yourself.

sissy : )

5. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

In a world where reality can be painful, Art creates a realm of things that are yet to be, where the past is made whole, where the future is worth the wait. Read Rudyard Kipling's poem entitled, "If".

6. Setterman

Geeze Mette56, I wasn't talking about wildlife art! I've got enough DU and PF prints to wall paper my gun room. And yes, I have a painting of a Ryman setter in my den. I'm talking about that abstract stuff and pictures of people and images that aren't familiar. Ya know Weird stuff.

Van Gogh couldn't even keep the brush between the lines on a Walmart coloring book.

7. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The other Artist that roomed with him was Paul Gaugin. Bulge.

8. Setterman

Sure WS-1....keep thinking that. Didn't know you were so, so, phosisticated!

10/4 Bulge, that's the dude. I guess he was special too.

9. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

As I awoke one morning

When all things new are born

A Robin perched upon my sill

To signal the coming morn.

The bird was bright and cheery

And softly it did sing

And thoughts of joy and happiness

Into my heart did bring.

I smiled softly on the cheery bird

And in the moment's lull,

I quickly closed the window

And crushed its f_cking skull.

10. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

I collect Paublo's artwork and also have a set of the original Poker Dogs on the wall of my Reloading room.

11. Coyote 270

Coyote 270 Member

Poker dogs, guns, loaders, beer, what else is there..........oh ya, and art work.....

12. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Art is like shotguns, some are priceless to the beholder and others are just outright junk.

13. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

I was in Paris and went to a small art musem that had famous artists and some not so famous. You could stand in the middle of the room and the painting that seemed to jump out to you, were done by artists like Van Gogh. I think once most people see the difference, they understand. John Moore

14. oz

oz Active Member

rosey just think of making "shine" as an art form. oz

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Art is in the eye of the beholder. To coin a phrase. Obviously your eyes aren't worth a dam.

16. Setterman

Opinions are like a-holes. You know what they say!

17. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Van Gogh's Starry Night.

I think a 2nd grader could do just as well.

18. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Same with the "Mona Lisa" nice painting but doesn't knock my socks off. Is art the ability of the artist to make a painting with all the detail of a photograph or his interpretation of a scene? For me if I have to wonder what the artist was thinking and putting on canvas then it's too much like work.

Eric

19. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

John Moore , I have been to the Louvre and maybe the museum you mention. You are right, Van Gogh had a unique way of mixing the paint that made the painting stand out. They have to be seen to be appreciated. That can not be seen in a print. I read the recent theory on his death. They never found the gun. I could have reached out and touched a Van Gogh but couldn't get within 25ft of the Mona Lisa, it is roped off.

20. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Oh well I still like the work of Bob Ross !!! (an Air Force vet)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.