1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is anyone into building wooden pens?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Jerry944t, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I need a new winter activity. I need to keep my hands busy on projects. I used to build custom 1911's during the winter but could never have the heart to sell any and they are expensive to make.

So since I like working with wood and have seen some really pretty examples I though I might enjoy turning wooden pens from exotic woods.

Apparently I need a small bench top lathe, and a small drill press. I want to keep that area of my shop condensed so I'm going for the mini tools.

Does anyone have any input on decent tools that don't break the bank? Or any input what so ever into turning wooden pens?

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Jerry: It seems like a lot of people get into that and get back out pretty quick. I'm not sure why. If you live near a WOODCRAFT store, you might want to go there, talk to them, and look over the equipment, kits and process. Some even offer classes so you can try it with only a small investment. Before buying a new lathe or drill press, monitor Craigslist for a while. Search the TOOLS section for both "PEN LATHE" and "MINI LATHE." Great deals can be found if you are patient. Good luck.

-Gary

3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Grizzly makes some pretty good tools for being Chinese, and Gary is right you might be able to find one on CL, but the one we have here they want as much as the tool cost new

If you Google wooden pen hardware you will get quite a bit of info

4. Harley Lekvold

Harley Lekvold TS Supporters TS Supporters

Try www.pennstateind.com for a lot of the info you are looking for.

5. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

I purchased some pens made by Little Gambler who posts on here he would surely be a source of information.

Jim

6. GJB02

GJB02 Member

I started making wooden pens a couple of years ago when I retired. It keeps me busy when I'm not loading shells. It's good fun and they make great gifts. I had no experience with wood turning and went out and bought a very basic Delta midi-lathe at a Rockler store that was closing. They threw in a pen starter kit which includes almost everything you need with the exception of turning tools. Most of the companies (Rockler, Pen State, Woodcraft) sell 3 piece chisel set at a fairly reasonable price. If you don't have a drill press you can buy the wood pre-drilled. I just tried an "over & under shotgun pen. It came out pretty good. I tried to attach a pic. Not sure if I succeeded.
    PM me if you need anymore information.

GJB

gjb02_2012_21031.jpg

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Nice looking pen there GJB.

8. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Thanks every one.

9. GJB02

GJB02 Member

Thanks Grntitan.

Just like trapshooting I get a little better at it the more I practice. It also keeps me busy and out of trouble.

GJB