1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is American trap to easy?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Aug 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Looking at some scores at the recent Cardinal Center. Can you believe 65 and 70 year olds breaking 200 straights in 16 yard events. Most of the other classes also broke 200 straights. Interesting

2. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

It's popcorn time!

3. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

There are alot of great shooters there. Birdtracker

4. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

We think too much alike.

I've thought the same thing, but when I think back to when I first started shooting, these are many of the people that shot back then, and if I remember were good shooters.

Good Sub-Juniors coming along too, if they will stay with it.

Regards....Gerald

5. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Are ya saying that 65 to 70 year oles shouldn't be breaking that kind of scores? Hell man, thats discrimination.

GneJ

6. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Well, it does give us fat, over the hill baby boomers something to aspire to now doesn't it?

Is it too easy?, Yes. Can I do it (200 straight) - hell no. Will I keep trying?, hell yes!

7. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

If you look at the big shoots, yes, it seems too easy. However, it's just
    about right for the small trapshoots of which there are hundreds throughout
    the country. Shoots with 20 to 50 shooters will have a pretty nice distribution of scores - possibly only one 100 straight in singles, and a nice array of scores from 99 down into the high 80's. It makes the sport competitive at all levels, and everyone can aspire to have that perfect score.

Contrast that with sporting clays where the average good shooter, who will shoot in the 70's or low 80's, knows on the best day of his life he won't come close to the top shooters who will post scores in the 90's.

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Earl,

Shootin' from the fence and already got your Grand Slam I take it?

ss

9. SpeedyWho

SpeedyWho Active Member

Singles is a miss and out at most any big shoot, that even goes for the lower classes. When I was D class I shot a 96 and thought for sure I won my class for the day ended up losing to a 98. Its all part of the game yes the targets are easy but the challenge for me is to stay focused and consistant for 100-200 targets.

Whaty about Yardage, how many shooters ever make to the 27?

10. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Eating my popcorn . Lol

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

For the best shooters, YES, it's obviuosly too easy.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH LIMITING THE PAYLOAD 3/4" oz.?

BENEFITS:

1) Trap would be a more interesting spectator sport.

2) Less cost for shooters at any given lead price.

3) Likely to reduce per-lb cost of shot because demand would go down.

4) Better for attracting new shooters because of lower cost.

5) Better for attracting new shooters because of lower recoil.

6) Fewer ACTUAL environmental issues for Clubs.

7) Fewer FICTITIOUS environmental issues for anti-gunners to use against us.

SACRIFICES:

1) A demarcation line would need to be drawn in the record books (big deal, shells and equipment have changed over the years anyway).

2) Egos would be temporarily bruised.

3) Your favorite reloading recipe would need revised (Gasp!).

4) Club Geezers would be embarrassed because their diminished shooting skills would be even more apparent (oops, that one belongs in the BENEFITS section).

So, can anyone make an equally strong and specific argument AGAINST limiting payload to 3/4 oz.?

If not, then can we make this obviously beneficial change over the next few years? Or will we, like Washington politicians, be ruled by ego and self-interest rather than logic and what's best for the future?

-Gary

12. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Years ago they had the machines throwing a 3hole target. Far angle shots to the left and right. They were not that easy to hit. Now its a 2 hole target. They are not trying to keep the game harder but are now making it easier to get more shooters.

To me thats like a football player say a running back who is really good at carrying the ball and then say he is so good that he now has to drag a cahined tire arounf his waist to slow him down.

HEY if you can't run with the big dogs then stay on the poarch. Why should the rules be adjusted because your not good enough to play the game.

13. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Auctioneer:

You may have a point about fluffers being used to attract young shooters but if you look at my list of benefits/sacrifices for 3/4 oz. payload I think you'll agree that ignoring this is a misguided choice. Besides, if you point the gun properly and get on the target quickly, 3/4 oz. breaks targets amazingly well. Try it. Besides, at the end of the day, isn't pointing properly and quickly pulling the trigger really the essence of trapshooting?

-Gary

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I do think if the ATA was to make changes to make the game harder or go back to the old Trap settings, they will need to walk a fine line. You don't want to make it too hard too fast and lose intrest from our young shooters which is the sports future in my opinion. In the same token, it can't become so easy that its boring. It sure don't look easy based on my scores.

15. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Perhaps a compromise of easier trap setting for kids while still enforcing a 3/4 oz. payload maximum?

Nah, too many complications and too much work for that! LOL.

-Gary

16. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

Thank you for asking the inconvenient and unpopular question.

The answer is absolutely. American shooters are falling far behind on the world Trap stage, as other countries shoot more challenging Trap targets. While full bunker is expensive to install, ATA trap should be gradually retired and replaced with Automatic Ball Trap, sometimes inelegantly and inaccurately referred to as "Wobble." ABT machines could directly replace ATA machines in every house. While a shooter's platform is preferred, it is not required.

We need faster targets with variation in both elevation and direction. We need more matches settled in 100 rounds, and we need less perfect scores.

Would anyone watch Tennis if every volley required 200 returns, per side, before the point was concluded?

GW's limited payload ought be immediately implemented.

Lower scores would lure new shooters by removing the implicit requirement to shoot perfect rounds to be competitive.

17. rbmtrap

rbmtrap Member

Could not agree more with IndyShotgun.

Trap was made easier several years ago when they reduced the bird spread angles - the records today are already 'tainted'. There is now chatter about making handicap further back because there are too many people at the 27 - just need to revert back to wider spread and the problem will resolve itself without the need for aquiring more land or poring any concrete.

A shoot of any size always goes into shootoffs- taking additional time and money - why would anyone think that is appealing to new shooters? The better shooters will always rise to the top and the distribution would be more evenly spread - yes the lesser shooters would have to stop trying to kid themselves (or others) that they routinely aren't as good as Leo, Harlan, Ray, etc. - no real surprise there. It serves no positive purpose to have so many perfect scores only to always move to a shootoff - let's settle as many events as possible without the additional time and money of shootoffs.

If baseball moved the fences in and the number of homeruns went up drastically, they'd at least move them back out again -the ATA needs to do the same with the bird spread by going back to 3 hole IMO. (And consider speeding up the bird.)

As an aside - shot wobble trap yesterday for the first time - wow, a LOT of fun...

18. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Let's use 26" guns with no choke, black powder, #12 shot, 4 hole settins, asprin sized targets moving at 100 mph, gun down and a 5 sec delay. That ought to just about do it!

19. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Lets just change the whole game and not even call it Trap anymore. Sheeesh some subtle changes yes but some of you are carried away. I'm curious as to how many that want complete overhauls of Trap are All American caliber??? If not it must not be too easy.

20. Cooter

Cooter Member

If going out there and breaking 85 or 90 makes you feel all warm and fuzzy, then yes it is too easy.But to shoot it perfectly is very,very hard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.