1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is a vent rib needed?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Scouterforlife, Aug 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scouterforlife

Scouterforlife TS Member

Hellooo, I'm new to the forum. I've been looking at getting a Remington 1100 12 gauge, but the one I've been looking at doesn't have a vent rib bbl. Are they necessary for skeet/trap shooting? Also, how may extra shells do you think this holds?(see image)

Thanks,
    Jacob C.

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

No, you do not NEED a vent rib.

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

There is no rule saying you must have a rib of any kind on your gun ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. YODA100

YODA100 TS Member

Now that is what I call real bait. Even Tron can learn from this one.

5. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

As for the magazine capacity, I would say that it only holds 5 rounds total. That is not an extended magazine, but rather a barrel weight. I think I have seen the Incredible Hulk shooting this particular gun.

GneJ

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

For the sake of uniformity the weight should extend to the end of the barrel or even a little past that so you can rest your gun on it in between shots ...
    WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

WPT, would whacking just a bit off the barrel work?

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

TH,
    Thats included in Plan "B" along with a stick on sight ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Jacob, After the ninnie's get done with all their nonsense ! :) Do yourself a big favor. If you are going to shoot trap buy a used 1100 trap gun. If you are going to shoot squirrels buy the one without the rib. Bill

10. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

No, as was stated earlier, you don't NEED a ventilated rib.

I recall a medical seminar once where a student asked if a scalpel was an absolute neccesity to perform an appendectomy. The instructor (a general surgeon) replied "yes". The student kept pushing him on the question, to which the surgeon finally replied "well, OK, I guess if you had to, you could perform an appendectomy with a shovel, but why would you?"

bluedsteel

11. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

The hippie guy is incorrect. It is an extended magazine, not a weight. Yes, you need a vent rib for ATA trap. Heat waves will affect your view of the target if you shoot without a vent rib.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.