1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is a slightly unstable stance good on the line?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Jul 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Many sports cars have rear wheel drive because the instability helps with the turns.

Does it make any sense to have a slightly unstable-leaning forward-on the balls of the feet stance at the trap line just before calling pull??

2. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I remember in High School my coaches always taught an "Athletic ready" position. Feet shoulder width, knees flexed a bit (not locked back), weight on the inside of the feet ever so slightly forward. Works for trap shooting too...

I do however lean a bit forward with 60% of my (considerable) weight on the front foot. I find this allows me a better pivot from the hips. Harlan Campbell teaches moving your body with the target from the feet up. Listen well Grasshopper, he knows what he is talking about.

Unstable is not good. Balanced and ready is. Good luck.

Bob Schultz

3. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have a very bad back and I find that a slightly wider than shoulder width helps me be a little more stable.

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Bushmaster, listen to Bob here Harlen and Todd Bender both teach the same thing. The best in Trap and the best in Skeet would be the ones to listen to. Can you drive a golf ball?, throw a bowling ball?, or do battle in Karate? when you are out of balance. Remember Karate Kid, balance no good Karate no good, lesson good for all of life. Stay Balanced, Eye on target and Break-em all. Jeff

5. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

NO

GS

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Can't think of a time when you would want an unbalanced stance.

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I shot on a squad with a guy who used an unbalanced "balls-of-his-feet" stance and depended on the recoil to keep him upright. On a straightaway his gun failed to go off and he lost his balance, toppled forward onto his knees taking out the voice call and jamming his muzzle into the grass in the process.

MK

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

An unstable stance is not good, but an unstable mind on the line seems to be typical.

Pat Ireland

9. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Pat,

You are letting out our secrets again...

Bob

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If a slightly unstable stance is good, then a very unstable stance should be better. HMB

11. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Now there's an idea for adding yardage to handicap without adding yardage to traps fields...

Once a shooter earns yardage beyond the 27, move them up back up to the 25... but make them shoot standing on only 1 foot.

MK

12. chipking

chipking TS Member

Pat beat me to it. There are many who will tell you that in everything I do I am slightly unstable but that doesn't apply to my stance. There is a martial arts stance that has many names across many disciplines. Most make reference to heavy feet or earth strength but it is basically having the feet planted firmly on the ground normally shoulder width or slightly less and your body BALANCED so it can move in any direction. The same applies to Trap.

--- Chip King ---

13. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I wouldn't call it unstable but if I put my feet closer together than what seems correct I shoot better especially on the hard rights and lefts. Seems my nature is to stand with my feet apart in a strong stance but it is harder to swing to the extremes. Also I've noticed people who have changed to a straight up stance seem to have more recoil movement than those who lean into the gun slightly.

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I know great shooters that lock their knees out.

15. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

When I stand in a door, toes angled out heels together my shoulders and toes touch the frame.

So my question is

What part of my feet need to be shoulders width a part?

also

With feet like mine whats in unstable stance?

Al

16. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Pat's close, unstable minds are REQUIRED!.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

17. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I stand basically straight up when I shoot singles Trap. I find that stance is not good for doubles. I find myself a little off balance going to the second shot. Dave T.

18. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member

Leo suggests a balanced stance, with your head as upright as possible, always use the hips to pivot to angles...works for him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.