1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is a Sabot O.K. thru a smoothbore??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by need to shoot more, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

My Nephew Just bought a Benelli Nova it will take up to a 3.5" shell is it safe to shoot a sabot thru a smooth bore? maybe just a couple of rounds?
    Thank You in Advance p.s. any camoed slug barells around just in case?

2. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Yes but you will not get a better group then you would with a plain old foster type slug.

3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

A sabot allows you to shoot a .50 caliber slug through a .69 caliber 12 gauge barrel. A sabot projectile is more streamlined and has a higher ballistic coefficient than a .69 caliber “pumpkin ball”. The sabot projectile will shoot a little flatter.

My experience is that I get reasonable groups with the traditional Foster type slug, especially the Wolf slugs. The sabots are also a lot more expensive. The Wolf slugs I have used were made in Germany. They had a plastic insert that fit into the base of the slug and, IMO, helped to stabilize it in flight.

I get 2” 3 shot groups at 50 yards out of an older Remington 870 smooth bore deer barrel with rifle sights. 12 gauge slugs, shot from a bench, kick like a mule. You really need to use some type of padding.

If your typical shot is 50 yards or less, a Foster type slug, IMO, is adequate. It is possible that a sabot may work well for you.

Sabots really shine in rifled barrels.

Ed Ward

4. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Most factory sabot slugs will not stabilize out of a smooth bore barrel as they were never designed to be fired in one. The projectile is not weight forward loike a conventional slug there which due to its design, flies like a badminton birdie. If your barrel is not rifled, you are throwing your money away shooting those slugs.

Jeff

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I have had limited success using a rifled tube in a smooth bore barrel. It picks up the grouping a little bit, but it is hardly worth the expence. Just use conventional slugs and keep the yardage short.

ec90t

6. RSVP410

RSVP410 Member

I have a 12 ga. rifled barrel with cantilever scope mount to fit a Nova. I may be interested in selling it. Post your e-mail address if interested.

7. SR1

SR1 TS Member

Rifled tubes are a joke if it really worked all rifles would just have the last 2in of the barrel done.

8. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

I tried sabots in a smooth bore 20Ga. They went thru the target sideways at 50 yards.
    SR1, FWIW, several years ago one of the gun rags ran a test of fully rifled barrels and rifled choke tube barrels. They could find little or no difference in group size.
    I now use a cantalever 20Ga fully rifled barrel. The groups are much better than the smooth bore.............Roger

9. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

What is a Cantalever barell ? Thank You!

10. ec90t

ec90t Guest

A cantalever barrel is one the has the scope mount attached to the barrel. It usually hangs out over the reciever.

ec90t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.