1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is a Rib Barrel Necessary?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smoking357, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Everyone shoots a rib barrel, and I do, too, but is one necessary to shoot Trap or Skeet?

Does anyone shoot a plain barrel with a simple bead?

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

it is not necessary, but, is convenient. Look at the old pics of trapshooters. Many of the prestige guns had no ribs.

Jim

3. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Friend of mine shot a 98 from the 24yd line to win the Washington state handicap a few years ago with a remington 48 field gun with no rib.Jerry

4. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

In the overall history of the shotgun, the rib is a relatively recent development. In is not really necessary to shotgunning, and many old time trap shooters did not use them. They do provide a convenient means of quickly aligning the shotgun, and probably help most shooters, but I think one could be an excellent shooter without using the rib, if one chose to learn the shotgun that way.

Jim R

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

No, a rib isn't a total necessity at all. The same principals apply with or without a rib. Once mounted, everything moves as a single unit from the waist up. I used my squirrel gun for trap and everything else I shot. Earned my way to the max, won a car, gold piece belt buckles along with many other shooting trophy's. It was stolen and gone for several years, got it back but had moved on to a TM-1 in the meantime.
    hapmectweaks_2008_030370.jpg

It still smokes targets from the max plus yardages! I'll shoot my last registered targets with it when that time comes.

Hap

6. BufferBob

BufferBob TS Member

Two of the best Pot shooters I ever new shot plain barrels

7. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Evidently, then, you're even less convinced in the need for a center bead?

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

A rib isn't necessary if the gun fits the shooter; it isn't helpful if the gun doesn't fit.

MK

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Absolutely necessary-- without ribs your chest would collapse after shooting one or two shots.

Pat Ireland

10. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

You do need something so your brain can tell when the gun gets to the target. I shot a red dot mounted well above the bbl for a while. When the batteries went dead I kept shooting to see what the effect would be. Scores dropped to zero at that station and stayed there. You do need something. Having a bead is better than nothing. Having a rib, I don't know. At the moment I'm shooting a gun that puts you so high over the rib, I might as well not have one. A rib is supposed to cut down on the heat waves as your bbl heats up from shooting. That I've seen in an 870 bbl with no rib and I suppose if you're paying attention to the heat waves, that's bad. You should be keeping your eyes on the target, so does a rib matter? Nah. As long as your brain knows through your peripheral vision to let the shot go at the right time. For that you need something. A bead without a rib works and a rib without a bead might work too. There's alot of context to your question. There's a social component as well. You'll be different. If you're breaking targets, who cares?

Try shooting without a rib and see how you like it.

Joe

11. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Pat is in fine form and all set for the new week! LOL

Hap, what the heck is that between the wood and the pad on the Stock? Looks like something inside the lucite for recoil reduction?

12. cnsane

cnsane Member

I always thought the rib was designed for knocking down heat mirage. Mine gets hot enough to burn ya' right through the fore-arm latch.

13. Hap MecTweaks

Oh my!! smoking357, the mid-bead may be necessary for some as a way of reassuring one that your gun fits at a critical moment. The mid-bead is and was a selling technique to the masses from the manufacturers. If you can make the mystical "figure 8", it fits? Not true at all!! Some may still shoot way too low even so!!

Joe, you are right, one very important part is a bead that can be seen easily with your peripheral vision when making the correct bird/bead relationship when the data processor says it's right and time!

Hitapair, right on my friend!! If a little extra weight helps with felt recoil reduction, more is better if one can handle the extra weight! That stock at one time housed two "Flinch-X" recoil reducers and they worked well! I later changed them for solid lead weights for even more weight and help! Very early after I began registering targets, I learned how important triggers/hammers were to my way of shooting. I installed a Carl Smith dual spring trigger assembly which was lightning fast compared to my old stock trigger.

Pat, the man wanted to know a little information about a ribbed/plain barrel, not a barrel chested shooters ribs??:) I wish you and Neil would have taken me up on my long yardage challenge to benefit our HOF? I would have dragged out my old squirrel gun just to give you two a chance from 50 yards behind the trap with new regulation trap loads of choice. I'm still game, you two for two rounds? :)

cnsane, some barrels/ribs attract and hold heat more so than others depending on metal mass. I've never seen a heat wave with my old squirrel gun regardless of shooting tempo or the temperature. I've shot when the thermometer read 122 in the shade in Needles,CA years ago winning the caps.

Hap

14. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

Hap...now that's quite a grip but are my eyes decieving me, or is that a slanted flat monte carlo on the pic?

If so, it must have originally been designed for Dick Tracey cause he's the only one I know with square flat cheeks (on his face).

All humor aside, that's a beautiful SG.

15. Hap MecTweaks

SS, it's rounded to fit my facial structure for best shooting comfort which doesn't show in the angle of that pic. I fit this stock with a good pocket knife and a lot of sandpaper after many, many tries. The tang extension is also bent upward so I could get the POI I wanted. Comb is parallel to my LOS or where a rib would be if I had one installed but I never saw the need. The shape of the grip does allow a good firm control grasp, same principle that some custom stocks by Dennis DeV. and others offer today. All said, it works for smoking clay targets and it does just that, extremely well. It's certainly not a gun most would shoot but good results was my main objective and it accomplished that.

Hap

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

One of my favorite hunting shotguns is a vintage M37 Ithaca 16 guage with a plain barrel. No need for a rib in that application. I also like to shoot this gun at trap doubles (just for fun) and the mirage effect is pretty serious after about the second post. This just adds to the fun but it sure doesn't help with seeing the target.

I doubt you will find many serious trap shooters that don't have ribs on their shotgun barrels.

17. jptrapshooter

jptrapshooter Member

Of course you need a rib. Where else would you stick the neon green fiber optic inch worm sight. You also need it to put on the sight blinder so only your dominant eye is blinded by the previously mentioned sight.

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

jptrap- If I were to think about it for a while, I am sure I could come up with another place to stick your inch long worm sight.

Pat Ireland

19. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

One of the greatest trapshooters ever, Mark Arie, won over $150,000 in his career shooting a $50 Marlin pump field gun with no rib! I don't think he needed one.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

20. Hap MecTweaks

Our sports history says that Arnold Reigger dominated the trapshooting sport with a lowly Model 37 Winchester without a rib also? It's said he used pieces of shell boxes taped to the comb to raise his POI when needed too! SO, no rib, no mid-bead and dominates everyone shooting their Elsie's,Parkers,Bakers, Remington's and Winchester model 12s? How'd he do that?

Rather than buying success which can't be done, success is mainly located between the ears and not in fancy whiz-gidgets, brands or costs of a shotgun! It's just a piece of pipe or pipes attached to a couple of 2X4s regardless of cost or accessories when sterilized with common sense? Separating wants from needs are what determines shotgun costs mixed with powerful advertising? I like the KISS method a lot and spend my money for shooting, not so much for the tools.

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.