1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is a PFS perfect... or What?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by LLSCjrshooter, Dec 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LLSCjrshooter

LLSCjrshooter TS Member

I have been reseaching PFS's for a while now and am stongly looking into getting a unit for my MX-8. I have read many threads on here but no one has anything bad to say about them. I want to hear some stories of why you hated your PFS... Are they that great, if so i am looking forward to purchasing one.
    Thanks
    Matt G-span

2. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

I've never seen another product that can provide a similar amount of recoil reduction or adjustability. Hands down they're the best. The only thing negative about them that I can come up with is the fact that with enough use they will wear, and require some maintenance. Buy one, you wont be sorry. cls

3. LLSCjrshooter

LLSCjrshooter TS Member

what does the maintance require?

4. Charles L. Schmidt

Charles L. Schmidt TS Member

The replacement of a couple bushings is all. Not sure what they're made from, a polymer of some sort I would guess. It’s not a do-it-yourself job. cls

5. LLSCjrshooter

LLSCjrshooter TS Member

Thank you for the information. I better straighten up for santa.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I'm waiting for the shoe to drop and the PFS stock get classified as an "assault stock" due to its pistol grip design.

Don't laugh. Some Olympic match grade handguns have been classified as "assault pistols", and the expensive Walther PPK was classified as a "cheap Saturday Night Special".

7. LLSCjrshooter

LLSCjrshooter TS Member

my biggest problem is Fitting not recoil as much. Reduced recoil is defenitally a plus but not as big of a consern. From what i have heard they are the best NON CUSTOM stocks to help get a near perfect fit. No one at my club shoots one but i know a few people around my area, so i will give it a shot.
    G-span

8. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Active Member

Bought mine used from someone on here who didn’t like it. Just wasn’t for him. There are a few that have posted on here over the years that didn’t like it for one reason or another but when I was researching them couldn’t get a pin point on exactly why anyone didn’t like it except that it just wasn’t for them.

I took the chance and couldn’t be happier, except it replaced some pretty nice EELL wood. The odds are definitely with you. The VDT comb also helped in the comfort of fit, great product. I was after recoil reduction but the custom fit is just an added bonus. I’d take it over a custom fit stock after using it. Weight gain/loss, winter shooting, etc with wood it is a little harder to adjust. Once you have it setup don’t mess with it! I see some people if they drop a couple of birds they break out the wrenches which is a recipe for disaster IMO.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

I, like others, would never consider getting a trap gun for me that did not have a PFS. I have used one for the last 5 years and really like them.

On the negative side, the PFS has so many adjustments it is difficult for me to not turn a couple of screws when things are not going well instead of keeping my head down on the stock. This is really not a problem with the stock, but rather a problem with me.

I did have some concern about shooting doubles with the PFS before I got my first one. I quickly discovered that the PFS made shooting doubles much easier.

Pat Ireland

10. jd6520

jd6520 TS Member

I am currently waiting on a wooden grip ,cheek piece and matching foreend which is being made at the moment have shot with a PFS for about 5 years now and all i can say is there is nothing to match them no recoil, perfection in fitting and second target acquisition is much faster because of no muzzle flip
    The guy who makes and designed these is a true gentleman and will help in any way he can to set yours up to perfection
    if yo uwant more info on the guy who is making the wooden grips etc email me

11. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Matt, I second the idea of trying someone's before you decide. If you do buy one, buy it directly from Vern. He will give you a 30 trial period, with a no questions asked return privilege.

The VDT cheek piece is thicker that the standard, and uses up some of the available offset. I went with the Ultimate Fit Comb option, to get additional offset. It wasn't enough, so I returned the stock.

I only shot the stock for 3 weeks, so take this with a grain of salt. The rearward movement under recoil was no problem. I instantly adjusted to it. It was disconcerting when shooting doubles. I'm sure I would have gotten used to it, but the physical sensation of the gun moving forward as I moved to the second bird was distracting. My shoulder felt the same as it always does after 300 shots, but the felt recoil of each individual shot was minimized. In fact, the most noticeable difference between 1oz loads and Nitros was how far the stock compressed.

Aside from the doubles thing, the only thing I disliked about the stock was the small amount of play in the top rod. I allows the gun to wobble a little when you mount it. It just doesn't feel solid.

12. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

perfect no, no pitch adjustment or grip to trigger adjustment. I still want one!!!!!!!!!!

13. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Active Member

MIA that is the exact reason I got the VDT comb. The standard comb is very thin on the top edge facing away, most people don’t even notice it. But if you’re used to putting the gun between your chest and arm it bites the heck out of the inside of your arm. The VDT comb is thicker and the edge has a radius to it so you can go back to your normal routine.

14. jd6520

jd6520 TS Member

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

They are not perfect. It takes awhile to get them adjusted for each person. The cheek piece is to thin at the top (for me), so I made my own. It's ugly plastic (paint?). It has limited comb offset (make your own comb), no pitch adjustment, And you get what you get with the grip. Lots of tape on mine. Some use Bondo. Other than these minor issues, it works great. Does what it is suppose to do. So, I can live with the other issues, or fix them myself.

16. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I have both. The Stock Lock requires some maint. Yearly, the system should be dismantled and regreased, and any ball bearings worn need replaced. It is a wood stock, fitted to the original buyer. Cut comb and adjustible butt plate would be the only adjustments for the new owner.
    The PFS has everything prebuilt for adjustment including cast. Pitch is the only problem on the PFS, which requires a taped butt pad if desired.

17. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

My teenage son is growing lke a weed so to accomodate his growth we put a PFS on my his Perazzi and put away an incredible custom stock. My son LOVES the PFS and his coach (who also uses a PFS) helped him dial in the perfect fit and now his shooting is focused on one thing only - technique. Gun fit and fatigue from long practice sessions are not a factor. Recoil - gone! Muzzle jump - gone!

Is the PFS perfect? Well it's close, if they had grip/trigger length adjustment then yes, it would be perfect. BTW - pitch change can be accomodated by using the tapered spacers provided with the stock.

I highly recommend the PFS to parents of kids involved in the shooting sports, it really is the answer to the never ending challenge of chasing satisfactory gun fit as your child grows.

18. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Do any All Americans shoot one?

19. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

I know of at least one All American that uses one.

20. jd6520

jd6520 TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.