1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

IS A LAMINATED STOCK AS STRONG AS REG STOCK?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    I SEE THAT BROWNING CAME OUT WITH A LAMINATED BT99 MONTE CARLO STOCK. IS A LAMINATED STOCK AS STRONG AS A REGULAR TYPE STOCK?
    STEVE BALISTRERI

2. almost unemployed

almost unemployed TS Member

Probably stronger.

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I have a 50+ year old Russian SKS with a Laminated stock...when can I expect it to start falling apart? It spent most of those years in grease and wax paper

4. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Gordy, I have a Remington 600 350 Rem. magnum. The stock was made from beech and walnut laminate. I got this rifle in 1966 new and it kicks like a 5 dram shotgun load. The rifle is now 41 years old, can you give me a ballpark figure on when the laminate will start to fail?

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Gordy, thank you for your biased opinion. If your opinion is not biased, then you do not have a clue about laminated stocks. When made properly, laminated stocks are very strong and very stable. HMB

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

Gordy ... it might be best to stifle yourself since it looks like you have a vested interest is slamming anything other than a all natural wood stock.

If done properly a laminated stock or laminated wood of any type will be stronger than a solid wood counterpart. Just look at the building industry. If Gordy was correct then why do we have so many laminated beams and such now in our homes not only across this country but around the world? Yeah cost has a little to do with it but the main reason is they are stronger and they are far more stable than there wood counterparts.

7. magic

magic Member

I have a laminate K80 stock that is just a few years old (3 to be exact). I have had it repaired twice due to cracking. Im sure if you get a good piece of laminate it is very strong but I have purchased my last. Once a crack starts they tend to run wild in the laminated sections!

JASON

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have a laminated stock on a Model 12 thats well over 50 years old, I wish it would fall apart so I could put the new stock on it that I bought for it about 10 years ago ... It still looks like brand new so the laminated stocks must just start to go to hell one day and the next day fall apart completely ... So far in my opinion the laminated stocks are much stronger and thats as of this morning when I looked ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. nicky

nicky Member

Ok Gordy now you got me thinking, I just built a large garage with a 4 x 16 laminated ridge beam to clear span the upstairs. Finishing the vaulted ceiling with cherry panels and beams , When finished there will be 900 sq ft. a gun room/den, bar , bath , pool/rec. room up stairs and 1400 sq ft downstairs. If it holds up you are all invited to the garage grand opening party. Kevin

10. lumper

lumper TS Member

It will hold up just fine ... ya might as well give us all the address and announce the date now so we can all make plans. Is there anyplace to shoot close by?

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I have a 50+ year old Russian SKS with a Laminated stock...when can I expect it to start falling apart? It spent most of those years in grease and wax paper

12. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Gordy, I have a Remington 600 350 Rem. magnum. The stock was made from beech and walnut laminate. I got this rifle in 1966 new and it kicks like a 5 dram shotgun load. The rifle is now 41 years old, can you give me a ballpark figure on when the laminate will start to fail?

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Gordy, thank you for your biased opinion. If your opinion is not biased, then you do not have a clue about laminated stocks. When made properly, laminated stocks are very strong and very stable. HMB

14. lumper

lumper TS Member

Gordy ... it might be best to stifle yourself since it looks like you have a vested interest is slamming anything other than a all natural wood stock.

If done properly a laminated stock or laminated wood of any type will be stronger than a solid wood counterpart. Just look at the building industry. If Gordy was correct then why do we have so many laminated beams and such now in our homes not only across this country but around the world? Yeah cost has a little to do with it but the main reason is they are stronger and they are far more stable than there wood counterparts.

15. magic

magic Member

I have a laminate K80 stock that is just a few years old (3 to be exact). I have had it repaired twice due to cracking. Im sure if you get a good piece of laminate it is very strong but I have purchased my last. Once a crack starts they tend to run wild in the laminated sections!

JASON

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have a laminated stock on a Model 12 thats well over 50 years old, I wish it would fall apart so I could put the new stock on it that I bought for it about 10 years ago ... It still looks like brand new so the laminated stocks must just start to go to hell one day and the next day fall apart completely ... So far in my opinion the laminated stocks are much stronger and thats as of this morning when I looked ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. nicky

nicky Member

Ok Gordy now you got me thinking, I just built a large garage with a 4 x 16 laminated ridge beam to clear span the upstairs. Finishing the vaulted ceiling with cherry panels and beams , When finished there will be 900 sq ft. a gun room/den, bar , bath , pool/rec. room up stairs and 1400 sq ft downstairs. If it holds up you are all invited to the garage grand opening party. Kevin

18. lumper

lumper TS Member

It will hold up just fine ... ya might as well give us all the address and announce the date now so we can all make plans. Is there anyplace to shoot close by?

19. nicky

nicky Member

Lumper we are lucky to have around eight clubs within 10/20 minutes away. Two that hold ATA shoots. Then another 6 clubs within 30/45 minutes away. With a total of six clubs within a hours drive to a ATA registered shoot.

20. lumper

lumper TS Member

Oh my gracious ... your in heaven.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

are laminated stocks strong and stable