1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is a KX5 that much better than a 90T ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jbmi, May 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I guess I need a little push to get me off center in my decision making.
    I've been shooting a low rib 90T for about three years. I'm an A (95) shooter and am looking for that magic gun that may give me another bird or two. I know I could have some custom stockwork done on the 90T, but feel I'd rather spend it on a nicer (?) gun.
    Anyway, forget about the "indian and arrow crap", just give me some reasons why I need a Krieghoff. ;>)

2. 90T3200

90T3200 TS Member

Stick with the 90T.

3. Clay McCracken

Clay McCracken TS Member

I think the KX5 is a better gun. I've owned a 90T and my son had a KX5 and I thought the Krieghoff was better pointing and certainly better shooting for me.

And if you get a decent deal on a KX, it will always be worth what you paid for it.

Mike T.

4. jr7100

jr7100 TS Member

I always figured a gun was a gun until I shot a KS5 Special. I could not believe how much better is handled recoil than my 870 TB Trap. I don't know that it shoots any better, but now if I need to shoot 300 targets in a day, I can. I got better because I could shoot more. I would say shoot one, and if you can't tell the difference, don't get it. However 3 out of 4 guys who try my gun, have bought one. In fact, I give a disclaimer before I let people try it, and if they have young kids and a wife at home, I make them try someone else's. Good Luck, Jim

5. Mike G

Mike G Member

My experience is just the opposite of Skip's, my previous gun had a RAD, was ported, forcing cones lengthened all in the name of reducing recoil. Bought a new KX-5 1 1/2 year ago it is completely unaltered and the softest shooting gun I have ever owned. Just my experience, as someone else said shoot one if possible and see for yourself. Mike.

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have a 90T, and a friend got a KX-5. I was surpised at how light it was.

You need to shoot the damn thing more than a box or two before you decide.

I would have them both and be confused as a normal state.

HM

7. steevo

steevo TS Member

I myself do not own either. I have shot both however, and I personally liked the 90T better. A little heavier, but it felt better. The weight doesnt bother me, since I shoot my double a lot. The gun felt balanced even though it was heavy. I shot a 24 with it, thats good enough for me to want one. Steve

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

KX-5's better for some and the 90T is better for others. Which one are you is the question which we are really unable to answer. Me? KS-5 Spl. and not interested in swapping by a long shot....breakemall...Bob Dodd

9. spritc

spritc Active Member

The KX-5 is certainly a newer trap gun and may possess the qualities of a longer life than the 90T even though the 90T was made by Kolar and still is a shooting machine. A friend of mine has decided to sell his KX-5 for $4,000 and includes both pull and release parts. Let me know if you have an interest.

Steve

10. lumper

lumper TS Member

I wonder how many are out there with a off the shelf 870 shooting better scores than you are shooting right now? Probably more than you think or really want to know about ... it aint the gun that will get you a better score, only you and you alone can get you a better score.

Save your money ... there are no miracles you can purchase that will help your score.

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

KX-5: I shot a brand new KX-5 with a soft touch the other day. Very light, pointed quick. However, I shoot a Ljutic with a PFS, and there was no comparison with the recoil. The KX-5 had much more recoil than my Ljutic using the same shells, much more!

12. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Steve (Kolardude)
    I would be interested if we could do a face to face transaction.
    Any chance you're going to be at the Great Lakes Grand next week?

lumpy: life would be damn dull if we all settled for an 870

13. geterdone

geterdone Member

Go to Weing's in MO and invest a day in getting a custom fit stock for the 90T.
    Fit more impotant that the debate between to fine guns. IF you decide to sell the 90T though, let me know and sent pictures!

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

90T's tended to shoot flat. KX-5 has an adjustable impact feature which can only help your shooting. Go KX!!

15. Inkspot Kelly's Great-Nephew

Inkspot Kelly's Great-Nephew TS Member

Forget both and go with the Kolar T/S. You will not be sorry. Do a search on this gun and read all about the reasons why.

Dave Shaeffer, Sr.

16. spritc

spritc Active Member

jbmi, my friend lives in central Indiana and will not be attending Great Lakes Grand. Feel free to contact me by email for further discussions. At least that way lumphead can't be involved.

Steve

17. lumper

lumper TS Member

By all means spend all the money you have now and that you can get from a 2nd & 3rd mortgage on a new gun ... but a new gun aint your problem.

18. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

A 90T will always be a 90T. But a KX-5 is a Krieghoff! KX-5 is a world class trap shotgun.

19. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

and a 90T is three times the cost of an 870, a Kolar TS is about a third more than a KX-5 and a Silver Seitz is about double the Kolar. So what does this have to do with the price of tea in China ???

20. BP348

BP348 Active Member

I've never shot either a 90T or a KX-5 but I do know that there's a KX-5 for sale at my club, it's been there a while, and everyone says it kicks more than anyother gun they've shot. From what I understand the guy is selling the gun because it kicks too much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.