1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is a gun purchase from Canada an import under ATF?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OldRemFan, May 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

For those of you that have bought a gun or parts that require an FFL that is coming from Canada. What problems if any have you had with this being am import, or with duty fees, etc.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

Bob

2. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

3. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Avoid it at all costs. It is a paper work disaster and takes a couple months to get the gun. And yes it is to answer your original question.

4. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Banned User Banned

Bought a trap gun from Canada a while back. Paid a little extra, $20 to the FFL licensed to import. I did the same thing, as if it was purchased inside the States. Filled out form 4473 the same as a normal transfer. The FFL charged for the extra paper work he had, and to recoup some of his cost of the import portion of his FFL. Handguns may be a different ballgame though.

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Not a problem at all. I have shipped to and purchased from Canada several times.

I go through LeRoy's Big Valley Gun Works in Montana as they are a Class III dealer speacializing in this. You have them to the deal and they charge around $75 to do the paperwork and even the shipping from them to me.

WW

6. lwr_

lwr_ Member

Yes, it is considered an import. Much paper work, cost, and waiting.

7. lovethesport

lovethesport Member

this a very easy process..yes, it takes appx 6 weeks but there is no headaches..leroys gun works handles everything.....

8. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Sounds like the item, in this case a complete receiver, has to go to a FFL that has an import license and cannot be shipped directly to my FFL. Am I missunderstanding what you are saying?

The seller presented to me as only needing a Form 6, which he had and would fill out and send the form to me, then I would send it to Canadian authorities for approval, then he would get the form after aproval, attach it to the package and ship the item.

Is that not correct, or is a complete receiver treated differently than a complete firearm?

9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

To purchase a firearm from overseas, including Canada, you must make arrangements with a dealer to handle the importation.

A request to import a firearm must be made on ATF's Form 6. It takes 4-6 weeks for ATF to process this form and return it to the dealer.

ATF Web Site - FAQ:

(L1) May a licensed dealer who does not have an importer's license make an occasional importation?

Yes. A licensed dealer may make an occasional importation of a firearm for a non-licensee or for the licensee's personal use (not for resale). The licensee must first submit an ATF Form 6, Part I to ATF for approval. The licensee may then present the approved Form 6 and completed ATF Form 6A to U.S. Customs and Border Protection. Contact the Bureau of ATF, Firearms and Explosives Imports Branch for forms.

ATF Form 6 - Paragraph 3. A Federal firearms licensee, other than an importer, may make an occasional importation of sporting firearms or ammunition (excluding surplus military) for himself or an unlicensed person in the licensee's State, provided that the firearms and ammunition are intended for personal use of the person for whom imported and not for resale. ATFF 6 - Part I (5330.3A) is used to obtain approval for such importation.

•Leroy's Big Valley Gun Works (Export Business spun off to Borderview International - Firearm Export Service

http://www.borderview.com/

10. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Thanks Joe, sounds like a lengthy process at best. I will talk to my local FFL. He may just say no, and it appears he is the one who has to handle the deal, one way or the other, before I get the merchandise.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.