1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is a Federal primer hotter than a Winchester 209??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rick979, Apr 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Want to load Green Dot in a Federal Gold Medal hull and a Windjammer wad with 1 1/8 oz of shot. Can't seem to find data unless I use a Federal primer. I have a 5,000 Winchester 209 primers and would like to use them. Advise if you have any recipes. Thanks, Rick

2. rick979

rick979 Active Member

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Rick, try this, click the link. Hap

This didn't show the loads. Follow the link and start from the beginning and it will give you the loads listing Win. primers.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Number one, WHAT Federal Hull? Number two, WHAT 209 primer. Number three, HOW fast do you want to go?

The Federal 209A primer is generally hotter than most other primers, BUT that does NOT mean it will always develop more pressure or more velocity than some other primers will, in a given load. You can get unexpected results in many cases.

If you are talking about loading the Top Gun Hulls using a Winchester W209 primer in place of the Federal 209A liated in the loading data, you would not know what effect such a substitution would have on the pressure or velocity, or even the consistency of the load. I use a load of 19.5 - 20.1 grains of Green Dot with the Federal 12S3 wad and 1 1/8 oz of shot. I use the Federal 209A primer for this load. It goes from 1170 to about 1210 fps for the half grain or so change. Pressures are reasonable. Under normal circumstances, the pressures would probably be low enough that substituting the Winchester primer would have no real dangerous effect on the load, provided the pressure is about 9000 psi or less as listed by the data. That way, if the pressure goes up or down 1000 PSI in either direction, you'd probably be OK.

I do not like to use a wad intended for a tapered hull in the straight tube hulls such as the Federals. I have experienced powder migration and some inconsitencies with several loads that I tried. I will stick to the proper wad for the hull. The Windjammer is more for a tapered hull, rather than a straight tube. Many will claim it will work just fine, and in some cases it might. It was dismal when I tried it, especially in my cold temperature testing.

When in doubt, call the powder company or send them an email and ask your question. They would likely have some suggestion for you.

5. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Brisance: Federal Shotgun Primer is always HOTTER in comparable loads...check manuals!

6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

YES but I prefer RIO primers, reliability and cost effective, but once you use them you need to stay with them as they are LARGER.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

8. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

Google Tom Armbrust great article on primer subs. See table 1 list of primers Federal is hottest

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

There is no such thing as hot or hotter--

Each primer has properties that affect the burning rate of powder in a certain hull/wad/shot combination

Federals generally produce more pressure for the same velocity as compared to Winchester

Remington primers usualy produce less pressure for the same velocity

Generally

But what Quackshot said is a good discussion

There has been some discussion also and Neil might have published some results on different primers performing differently in very cold weather

regards from Iowa

Gene

10. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

What about the movers? I know there are numerous people around who are less than knowledgeable about handguns, but how many adult males would pick up a semi-auto pistol or revolver and look down the end of the bbl to see if it were loaded? By-the-way, I am from the Mid West. Steve

11. rick979

rick979 Active Member

12. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

Yes hotter, but you would be safe substituting W209 for F209A in your load. R

13. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If you peruse loading manuals, occasionally you will find loads where the W W-209 produces more velocity and pressure than the FED 209A.

In some loads, the RIO primer out performs them all. In others,,,,

Bottom line? Check for published loads. :^)

14. IM390

IM390 Member

Yes, you can substitute one primer for the other in this particular wad, powder and hull. You can also do the same in a Federal Top Gun, which has the rolled paper base. My favorite is 18.5 grains of Green Dot which will achieve around 1160 fps in a 1 1/8 ounce loud. You can do a lot hotter than this if you want but you will also notice substantial increase in felt recoil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
209 vs 209a primers
fed 209a vs win 209

federal 209 vs 209a

federal 209a primers

federal 209a vs winchester 209

is federal 209 primer different than winchester
is there any difference between 209a primer recipes
use a federal 209a primer in place of win 209