1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

is a camper the way to go?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by al3526, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. al3526

al3526 TS Member

my brother and i have been trapshooting for just under a year. we would like to travel to near by states to participate in larger shoots. is a travel trailer the way to go and if so what type of rig should we buy??? also where will i find the best deal? thanks al

2. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Depends where you will be heading..if you are in mild climates, almost any quality will do. If not, like four season stuff, get a high quality trailer like a Canadian built Bigfoot...if you can find one.

New Airstreams look great, but are not the same build and quality as the old ones and cost a fortune. This as explained to me by a very knowledgeable RV service place.

Given choices, I'd have a high quality toyhauler for the versatility. Imagine, the toyhauling part could be a reloading room! Given the compromises we must make as a retired couple, we picked a new old stock 25 foot Bigfoot tt. Four season, high quality, love it.

One other alternative: That aformentioned RV dealer recommended Lazy Daze as one of the best class C RV's you can buy. They are out of So-California, the Lazy Daze, and sold directly. They are high quality and quite serviceable...a bit more money that others, but you get what you pay for in an rv...froms tick and tin junk to something that will last a lifetime with reasonable care.

Good luck in your quest. And, in my opinion, "too much tow vehicle is just about right."

3. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

the market is right for you now. lots of units been repo, check with bank's & credit union? also check craigs list or google? lot's of site's to check & you should be able to get the best deals now. RV or Trailer, you have enough people on here to give you good advise either way. I perfer a trailer, you can set up & drive to other place if you want, insurace is less, over all cost is far less than a RV! 80% percent of my friend's have RV an the up keep is out of this world, there alway's having problem's!!! I'm sure you will get some RV ers opinion's. sort thur and enjoy which ever way you go. the Market's is perfect for you now to buy.---slid==

4. shootman

shootman TS Member

In 2006 we bought a 28 foot jayco jay flight trailer and we love it. It will sleep five adults comfortably. I use for shoots and my wife and i do a lot of camping in northern mich,to southern ohio.[ She is not into shooting]. you can park it and you have your vehicle free to do traveling. In our area [northern ohio]there are a lot of them for sale very reasonably priced. Right now is a buyers market BOB

5. al3526

al3526 TS Member

thanks. i think we would use it atleast a doz. times a shooting season plus may get further use during hunting season. thanks for the help. thinking a hard sided unit may be the ticket vs pop up. al

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I'm in favor of a triple slide diesel pusher.

Of course my financial adviser says no.

HM

7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

How about a KY special with a Beverly Hillbilly upgrade package??

(many apologies to my KY friends -:))

<a href="http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i296/3miles/?action=view&current=motorhome.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Look in ebay...lots of people selling cheap because of being victims of the exconomy

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Invest the money you would spend (and/or finance) and let the interest pay for decent lodging.

No worry about having to sell the liability when you tire of the trailer parks.

Curt

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

It all depends on how you shoot. I would like nothing better than to run the winter chain with an RV. You can bring your bowser, reloading stuff, and have a place to relax between events. Dish TV is a must, of course.

For local area shooting where you might want to do something additional on a Sunday, not a good idea.

HM

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I had a motorhome, never again ... Some of the travel trailers are nice but unless you are going to use the hell out of it you can get some good deals on lodging also ... That way you don't have the up keep, washing, Insurance, repairs, storage, repairs, maintainence, repairs, tires, repairs, and it seesm like everytime you use it something needs to be repaired ... There are some super deals out there right now though, if you must ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I have had two motor homes. Never again. Every time you want to move, run an errand, etc. you have to pack up. Ron

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Al, also not mentioned on here, is what do you intend to pull it with. What do you have that can pull a trailer??? If your truck or SUV says it can pull 6,000 pounds, try to keep your trailer in the 3,500 to 4,000 pound limit. You need that difference in limit for multi trailering uses. If you don't you will be buying a tranny in the near future. The towing package is a must as well for towing 12 or more times a year. How will you store and keep it when not in use. Its alot to think about. If you stay in one type of Hotel/motel or use one type of Credit card you can get cash back and or discounts that can save you some money on your trips, and No headaches with break/downs on the highway, things in need of repair and misc. Yes, taking a RV is very convenient, but it does require some pretty deep pockets and is not cheaper than a Hotel/Motel. At best a Trailer would be a break-even type of deal with alot more work. More service Repairs for the towing truck/SUV as well. Think about it. Good Luck and Break-em all. JEff

14. RAScott

RAScott Member

I bought a used 21' hybred camper, tent ends with a 14' slide out plenty of room pulls like a dream and easy to maintain. sleeps 4 adults easy or 2 men with guns and stuff, buy used to see if its for you, the relaxing between shoots is good and the hassel of lodging, guns in ,guns out, restaunts, adult beverages all things considered camping is fun, and relaxing. you wont meet better people also.

Bob S

15. illiniphil

illiniphil Member

Lots of good advice in this thread on your topic. Bottom line to remember when you buy a camper (pop-up on up)- you really have to enjoy having one, ie packing, hauling, set-up, repairs, etc. But with that being said, we bought a pop-up 10 years ago, traded it in for a 30 ft. Jayco Travel Trailer 4 years ago and my wife and I love it. For shoots, it is great to have a home away from home, tv, ability to cook, drink, relax, etc. But you have to like the whole experience. For some that buy campers, its just like boats, the two best days owning one are the day you bought it and the day you sold it. For the rest of us, the work is very small price to pay for the return in enjoyment. Do your homework on what you will haul it with. Some RV dealers are notorious for telling you whatever you drive onto the lot has sufficient twoing power. There is alot of info on the web regarding the towing power of various trucks and SUV's. Best of luck to you in your search. Phil

16. racer

racer TS Member

I've used a slide in truck camper for 5yrs now, I will get a small (24-26')pull behind next. I have kept track of usage to determine if its better than a hotel(57 nights so far). A couple years ago at the Grand, the AC was a life saver! Dan

17. Duck Head

Duck Head TS Member

I lived on the road for 4 yrs and I'm here to tell you you really have to get an expensive room to stay away from the partyers. Just think, the BIG ONE is tomorrow and you're on an early squad and the room next to you or above you sounds like Animal House! Don't call Haji or Habibe at the front desk they won't help. Camping with fellow shooters is quieter and more secure.Get the 24-26' pull behind and you'll be set.

18. KooJo

KooJo Member

We have a motor home, what they say about repairs is true you are always working on it. I think the trailer or 5 wheel is the way to go. Remember with a motor home you will need a extra vehicle, because when you set up camp you always need something from the store it never fails. Our motor home takes about 2 hours to change the air filter. The emergency generator only one hour to change oil and air filter. Try adding oil to the motor home engine is not fun. Go with a trailer
    an you will have vehicle to do your running around like gun shops and etc.
    Joe From Alaska

19. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

There are several reasons, some stated above, why I prefer camping versus a hotel room.

One, I know that my bedding doesn't have bedbugs, lice, or fleas. If you read recent health reports, you will find that there is a surge in these problems, and reports of infestations are increasing at even the finer hotels.

Two, Martin and I really hate fast food. We really don't eat pizza and burgers, so we love having our grill and kitchen at the shoots. Plus, we get to invite people over and spend more time with them at breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Three, the camper has duplicates of everything that I have at home, so I don't arrive at shoots without things that I need (because I don't forget them).

Four, I know our bed is going to be comfortable for us.

Five, we have a climate-controlled place to hang out in between events. If either of us are frazzled and need some quiet time to re-focus on our game, we can hide out in the camper.

Six, we have a place to sleep while on the road if the trip is a longer one. We just pull over into a Flying J or something similar, get into the camper, and go to sleep.

The set up and take down and maintenance aren't that involved, really. It's usually a social thing for us, since we have friends that usually help, and we help our friends as well.

We have a small camper, which we really love. It's a tow-behind. The one suggestion that I have is that if you live in a windy area, you may want to get a fifth wheel instead. We bought the anti-sway stablizer system and paid a lot for it, but it still wasn't enough to keep us safe in the Kansas winds for the MO Fall HC. We had to turn back home and head to Linn Creek without it.

20. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I've had my old motorhome for about three years now. It's true what they say that they are "a hole in the road that you pour money into."

I'm glad, though, that I bought a used one even though it was 18 years old. I've had to do and replace a lot of things to keep it working as intended. At first I complained that it wasn't worth all the grief but It looked like I wasn't the only one who had the same problems. All around me were rv's, both old and new
    that were being worked on by their owners or a mobile repairman. So if you're not willing to learn how to work on an rv then you'd be better off in a hotel or motel.

All that being said, I still like having the convenience of a place to crash between events and waking up at the gun club, ready to go. So if you see my motorhome at a shoot, come have a cool drink and bring your tools and we can fix something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.