1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Is #9 shot legal for ATA ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Is #8½ and #9 shot legal in ATA competition ?

2. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I checked the record and you now have become the all time new horseshit leader of starting new threads that mean nothing since your inception! Good job! Tom Rhoads

3. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Somebody had to win!

4. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

9's are great for handicap too! Just remember 3/4 oz. of 4's plus 3/4 oz. of 5's = 1-1/2 oz of 9's. Shake well and use Blue Dot powder. Really reaches out and smacks those tough 'cap targets! ....Rick

5. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Right on Tom.

Don

6. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Looks like the troops are on you like stink on shit Hammer.

7. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Goose2,

When I look back at the number of helpful and positive responses I get to the majority of my postings, I don't worry about the attention I get from folks who have nothing positive to offer.

Trap shooters are overwhelmingly a very helpful, courteous group. And as a relative newcomer to Trap, I have learned a whole lot from them. Just today, had a senior Trap shooter spend time with me helping to understand some things.

Sometimes you wonder how successful the negative folks are in running off new potential Trap shooters ? Of course, they would deny they have any effect on potential new shooters.

Will you be at the Pocatello ATA shoot on Saturday (tomorrow) ?

Would really enjoy seeing your latest acquisition.

Hammer

8. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I cant promise I will be there. I am a fair weather shooter and I do not like shooting in rain and snow. If we have a little luck with the weather I will be there so lets hope and pray we wake up to sunshine and no wind. As of late that has been near imposable.

9. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Goose2,

The attached weather forecast for Saturday doesn't look too bad.

http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/83201

No winds over 10 mph. Mostly sunny. High thirties to maybe forty degrees.

Went outside about 4 AM and there was no wind.

Heck, even made it home last night without four-wheel drive.

Hammer

10. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"I don't worry about the attention I get from folks who have nothing positive to offer."

Maybe you are getting those less than positive comments from some of the honest threads you have been starting lately.

"Two trap shooters overheard"

"B class shooter breaking a perfect 100 Straight ?"

Those two seem to be on the top of the list. They insinuate sandbagging in a snide sort of way. Personally I feel that if one has something to say then say it don't insinuate it.

Bob Lawless

11. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

ivanhoe,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Appreciate it.

Neither post you refer to was intended to imply sandbagging at all.

Actually, just the opposite.

Had been hearing and reading about the subject of sandbagging and thought some simple math might shed some light on the topic.

If a data distribution is symmetric, half the data should be below the average and half the data should be above the average -- just simple math.

The fact that experienced folks shoot above their average should be totally expected -- half the time.

Likewise, the fact that experienced folks shoot below their average should be totally expected -- the other half of the time.

Dr. W. Edwards Deming pointed this out about golfers many, many years ago.

The probability calculation was done to show that at any large Trap shooting tournament a certain number of B class shooters should be expected to shoot 100 Straight.

Has nothing to do with sandbagging at all.

The fact of a large number of shooters at the tournament and plain old high school level probability practically guarantees that some B class shooters will shoot very high scores on any given day.

Likewise, some AA shooters will shoot low scores.

The two posts were offered as evidence that what too many folks call sandbagging is just normal statistical behavior.

It was offered as a way of saying that before we accuse someone of unethical behavior, we might just consider the results we saw in light of just random chance seen on that day.

That does not mean that the act of sandbagging has never happened, though I think its real frequency of occurrence is way overstated.

And I do not know of any incident personally that I think was sandbagging.

Maybe I saw too many episodes of Andy Griffith's "Matlock" series and heard him say to the jury "Reasonable doubt".

12. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Well Hammer nothing will shed light on the subject. As there are none so blind as those that will not see.

The funny part is in class B 100 thread some of those that think one high score should put you out of the class you are shooting in for good. Yet the same people that say that admit to shooting high scores, 100 in low classes
    Go figure.

"The fact that experienced folks shoot above their average should be totally expected -- half the time.

Likewise, the fact that experienced folks shoot below their average should be totally expected -- the other half of the time."

Well those two statements I quoted above are not strictly true. It doesn't matter what your experience level is in order to have an average. There are two ways to have an average. One shoot the same score every time you shoot. Two shoot some lower or higher than the others your average will fall in between the low and the high.

My advice to you would be a little more direct or explain what you want when you post. Many here feel you are just stirring the pot. That includes me.

BTW if you had stated in either one of those threads what you stated in the last two thirds of your last thread. There would be a lot less people distrusting you now. As now when you start a thread everyone is asking themselves what the He** is he starting now. Just the way I feel about it.

Bob Lawless

13. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

ivanhoe,

You're right.

If you shoot the exact same score every single time then none will be above and none will be below that average score.

Have never experienced that perfect level of consistency in anything yet.

Maybe today.

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Hammer--Just a FYI since you asked about legal shot size.

You may also mix the different shot sizes all in one shell and its still completely ATA legal as long as you mix with sizes allowed. Those sizes are basically nothing larger than 7 1/2 shot. I have tried it and basically couldn't tell a difference thru my shooting. The ones i was on broke and the ones i wasn't were lost. A pattern board may shed more light on advantages or not.

15. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Hammerhead..............

16. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Given that most of the rest of the trap shooters at the local range have been shooting consistently for 30+ years...

My little over two years makes me a new-comer in my mind.

17. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

If I typed a smartalec response evey time I read a stupid thread on TS, my fingers would be bloody!

18. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

There is some hostility here?

19. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Hey Joe.......(thats a song if I'm not mistaken).......I've got plenty of bandades if ya need 'em...................

D.P.Reynolds

20. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

Be sure to use soft shot. It hits and holds on. Great for handicap. Pellet density is the key.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.