1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Irish Whiskey

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by gyrine, Feb 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

There may be one or two of you out there that enjoy a sip of Irish Whiskey of an evening. I know I do. I have come across a discovery that may or may not be available in your area. John Powers Irish Whiskey, Gold Label. It is priced comparable with regular Jamisons and Bushmills. I think it compares very well with Blackbush. It is made in Dublin and by my taste is better than some that cost twice as much. Just passing that on to the few of you that like to reload. To those of you who have been drinking it since you were in highschool, forgive me, I salute you. gyrine

2. ultramag338

ultramag338 Member

Thanks I will look in the morning. Corey

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I indeed enjoy a sip of the Irish when available. I believe the Irish spell it Whisky, however; make corrections here!.....Bob Dodd

4. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

John Powers is all I drink......the best.....Don

5. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Could someone give me advice here. I am in Kentucky which is bourbon country! If I mix it with sprite, I drink cheap stuff. Straight, I like Knob Creek, Basil Hayden, Woodford Reserve, etc. I have also drank Tennessee whiskey (example. Jack, George Dickel), I have also drank blended (Crown Royal, Kessler, Canadian Club). I like all of those in one way or another (mixed or straight). I have never liked the taste of Scotch. I have tried all Scotch, and can't stand it. What does an Irish Whisky compare to and taste like?

Matt

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

7. JLSIMON

JLSIMON Member

From what I understand Irish Whisky and Scotch are virtually made from the same process. Where the difference comes in is in the way the grains that are used are dried. In Irish Whisky the grain is dried with dry heat. In Scotch the grain is dried over a wood fire. Thus the smokey flavorings are brought out in the aging process of Scotch. Now excuse me while I have a bit of Capones favorite, Templeton Rye. Cheers!

8. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

JL is right on. The unmalted scotch is some what like Irish. But its what is added that changes the taste.

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

If it is not at least 15 years old it is not good in my opinion, My favorite is Glenrothe but any 15 -25 year old is ok

10. wpairishshot

wpairishshot Member

The Irish invented whiskey or the art of distillation of it. They called it Ishka Beatha, which translated means "water of life". Ever tried Middleton's very rare irish whiskey? Comes in a wooden box packed with hay/straw.
    Personally speaking I can't stand any of it, I tend to "give it back" if I drink any of it at all.
    Now if you want to talk about some great beer, Harp is great, Smithwicks too, of course the old standby Guinness. I prefer the Harp and Guinness half and half. (thats not black and tan--B and T is bass ale and guinness)
    Dont forget St Patricks Day is March 17th!
    Kevin McIlwain

11. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Matt:

I also live in Kentucky and I love the taste of a good Kentucky Bourbon. I like mine "on the rocks" with a little water on the side. IMO, if you are going to mix it with a soft drink like Sprite, 7-Up or Coke, you might as well stick with the less expensive blends like Kessler or Seagram’s 7 Crown.

Scotch whiskey gets its distinctive taste from smoke from burning peat moss that is used as a heat source to warm raw barley so that it will sprout and become "malted". Blended or straight, all scotch has a distinctive taste from the smoked barley. When I drink scotch, I like the less expensive Johnny Walker Red as this is the scotch that I learned to like while playing poker in the Army. The expensive single malts are fine but are out of my price range.

It sounds like you like a mild, sweet drink. You may want to experiment with an Irish but I bet that you would really like a Canadian like Crown Royal, Schenley OFC or Canadian Club.

Again, IMO, if you are going to mix a whiskey with soft drink I would stick with the less expensive blends.

This is another subject but if you ever get into the Manhattan cocktail, Old Weller Bourbon is the way to go.

Damn, all this talk has made me a little thirsty even though it is a little before breakfast. I think that I will have a “pull” off of the bottle of Rebel Yell I keep on my workbench in the garage. It’s about 40 degrees outside which is a good temperature for drinking bourbon whiskey “no ice no glass.”

Ed Ward

12. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

school_teacher,

Yes I like a sweet taste. I do not like a real harsh taste. When I mix it with Sprite, I drink Kessler, KY Tavern, cheap stuff. I have tried numerous brands of scotch, and have never liked the taste. I have never tied Irish Whisky, so I am curious.

What are you guys favorite bourbon?

Matt

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Favorite Bourbon Makers Mark,Wild turkey, Knob Creek. THe best cheap bourbon is Ezra Brooks. I used to like Jack Daniels but the went to 80 proof, too weak

14. KS-OKIE

KS-OKIE TS Supporters TS Supporters

I really like Wild Turkey Rare Breed Small Batch 108 proof & h2o on the rocks...KS-OKIE.

15. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I travel to the UK often for work.

One evening I was asked if I would like a single malt - I replied "I do not care for them - never liked the taste."

Needless to say I started a bit of a conversation on that one.

I was then led to a bar and presented with three small glasses of single malts to 'taste.' I was asked to say if I like or disliked each one - and why. This went on for what seamed like days.

I found several that I adored.

There are two primary tastes that carry through the lines - 'peat' and 'smoke.' The 'peat' flavor is an earthy taste where the 'smoke' is just that - I care for neither. Once this was discovered a world was opened to me. As long as the peat and smoke are light - I love them.

There will most certainly be a single malt you like - you just need to keep looking - keep the ideas of 'peat' and 'smoke' in your mind and you'll be fine.

David D

As a general FYI there are 365 distilleries in the British Isles - one for every day of the year - each making several different versions of their 'products.'

16. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Matt, pop for a bottle of Jameson or Tulamore Dew. It won't break the bank and enjoy it with some ice and a splash or more of water. Just a shot and if you like it at all you will upgrade soon to two shots with the same amount of ice and water. I aquired the taste so to speak for Scot's whisky back oh lets say 1965. Of course my brother in law thought that Cutty Sark was jsut great. Oh well. Fast forward to maybe seven or eight years ago and I was introduced to single malt. Let me tell you what a huge jump in taste and quallity once I tasted The Glenlivet. A side benefit is that if you get greedy and have too much there is little to no hangover the next day. There is a good program about whisky on either History or Discovery channel that does a great job tellling the story. A side note is, Jameson's uses old bourbon barrels to age its product! I am with the others in saying I use the lower cost brands of whisky if I am going to mix with juices or sodas. Bill

17. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

Well, I just got to jump in here and offer a little advice--if you tend to usually go a little overboard and want to be able to walk away in the morning there's only one choice---early times bourbon and coke--choice of hardcore drinkers everywhere--particularly stay away from tenn. whiskey like Jack--there's a reason they're called SIPPIN' whiskeys--long haul imbibers know what i'm talking about.

18. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Jim Beam for me.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

19. johnboy

johnboy Member

15 year old Pappy Van Winkle is a very tasty bourbon and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys good bourbon. Also never cared much for scotch until a friend gave me a bottle of Glenlivet. I prefer bourbon "neat" and a little ice with the scotch.

20. bigk

bigk TS Member

The best whisky in the world is Black Bush.Next a toss up between John Powers and Famous Grouse.Then Jamesons.I know because I have spent most of my life sampling them.
    Slainte......... K