1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Iowa's Bobby Hudek...gone

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by The Literalist, Jan 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

Iowa

While many know, I don't see where there has been a posting regarding Bob's passing. As I understand it, he died just after midnight Saturday.

Bobby went through hell fighting cancer and, while we're saddened at his passing and send our condolences to the family, we're glad his struggle has ceased.

Bob and I shot together regularly as teens (about a hundred years ago) and in recent years, we squadded together whenever we could. A charter member of the Southwest Iowa Clowns*, Bob was a good shot (won the Iowa singles a few years back) and was an all-around sportsman.

I shall miss him. Rest in peace, Bobby.

Denny Spurling

2. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Sad news for sure. Mr Hudek was a peach of a guy.

Thanks for posting Lit.

Obituary link above.

3. Ithaca$$$Grade

Ithaca$$$Grade Active Member

The first time I had the pleasure to meet Bobby was at the MN State shoot years ago. I was classifying and up strolls a country bumpkin with a clip on pony tail. He stammered and he hawed around doing his best to make me think it was his first shoot. As I got to know him and the SW Iowa Clowns better, they went to shoot a good score but more important they went to have fun. When I saw him at the Grand last year, as bad as he was probably feeling, he was still joking around, and having fun. Good memories.

My condolences to his wife and family.

My sympathy to the Lit, Maltzie, Dan, Herman and all his friends. You guy's are going to really miss him.

Rest in peace Bobby. Its all 100 straights now.

Jim W

4. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Yes I saw Bob's obituary in the Des Moines register today. Not totally unexpected but still taken back a bit. He was a competitive guy and fought this disease with the same attitude he had for everything,at least on the surface.
    He will be missed by many trapshooting friends as well as his family.
    tripod

5. seitz10

seitz10 Member

Very saddend by bobs passing. Rest in peace my friend. roger lorenzen

6. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear this.

Bob was a heck of a nice guy even if he did hang around with Maltzie and The Lit. lol

Seriously though, my condolences to his family and to his close friends.

He will be missed.

Hauxfan!

7. CO - 369

CO - 369 TS Member

Thanks for posting it Denny. I've been trying to for a couple of days.

So many memories. When the Clown Mobile would pick up Bob for a shoot, he would have cinnamon rolls he baked for everyone. A cold November morning in the duck boat and Bobby cooking a delicious artery choking breakfast with that cigar he never lit stuck in his mouth.

At a team league shoot,where if your team won it all, you might each get $7. I'd missed a 16yrd target and as Bob passed me changing posts said"Jeesus, Cain, pick it up little." Bob went to win at every shoot and he made each of us shoot better.

Rest in peace, Bob. We sure miss you.

Dan Cain

8. MX10RS

MX10RS Member

It is sad to hear of the loss of such a great competitor. Bob will be missed by all. My condolences to his family. God have mercy on his soul, and let perpetual light shine upon him.

Hal Myers

9. APrice

APrice Active Member

Denny, sorry for the loss of your friend. Sounds like he was a terrific guy.

10. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

Bobio was my trapshooting traveling partner for over 10 years, distantly related having the same hometown. Bob liked to be called "Hugedick", just one of our stansard jokes. Both Vietnam vets, remembering the fun parts best. Our guess is agent orange as a contributor to his last 3 1/2 years of struggle. Bob was one of the toughest men I have ever met. He fought cancer to the end without a lot of complaining. We would go to a shoot and he couldn't sleep because of the pain, but next day be on the line doing his best. Joking and visiting with everyone. I only hope to be that strong when its my turn.

I did get to thank him for teaching me to be frugal just before my retirement. Something that I may need in the future and certainly while running to shoots with his other students of cheep. I was the last remaining hold out in the SW Iowa Clowns. And, if he is readiing this, FYI....I saved 9 cents a gallon last weekend on gas, bro.

Thanks for being a friend.

Maltz

11. brewmaster

brewmaster Member

Iowa has lost another great shooter and a great man. I will never forget all the "team hudek" shirts worn by his family as they supported him during his honor day shoot in Ottumwa. He will certainly be missed by all. My condolences to his family and friends.

Mike Lampe

12. trapper71

trapper71 Member

On behalf of the Owatonna Gun Club Board of Directors we would like to give

our condolences to Bob's wife and family. It was my privilege to shoot with

Bob and Maltize a couple of years ago, and when I heard about his struggles

after that he was and inspiration every time I saw him at a shoot.

Rest in peace Bob you will be missed

Jay N

13. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

Always fun to be around Bob, he will be missed.
    Beer King

14. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Sounds like he was a helluva a guy and a lucky guy to have so many good shooting buddies.

RIP Hugedick.

Handlepuller

15. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

I didn't know Bob well, but he always said hello when we see each other at a shoot.

RIP Bob.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

boby hudek