1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

IOWA STATE SHOOT 2012 PROGRAM

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BeerKing, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

BEFORE RUMORS GET STARTED AGAIN, KIND OF LIKE THE YEAR OF THE FLOOD, LETS GET SOMETHING CLEAR. WE WILL BE SHOOTING 400 WEDNESDAY-400 THURSDAY-300-FRIDAY 300-SATURDAY AND 100 SUNDAY ALONG WITH THE THE PREQUALIFIED 100 TARGETS SUNDAY. THE HOA AND HAA WILL BE BASED OFF THE SAME TARGETS SHOT IN YEARS PAST 400 & 1100. WE WILL BE SHOOTING ONE LESS DAY BUT WILL HAVE 100 MORE TARGETS AVAILABLE. WE WILL NOT BE SHOOTING TUESDAY DUE TO LACK OF ATTENDANCE IN THE PAST. HOWEVER WE WILL BE SHOOTING A 2ND 100 DOUBLES ON WEDNESDAY(NOT INCLUDED IN HOA AND HAA) AND THE PRIZE WILL BE FREE TARGETS FOR THAT EVENT ON THURSDAY TO THE CLASS WINNERS. WE WILL BE SHOOTING A 2ND 100 SINGLES ON THURSDAY AND THE PRIZES WILL BE SHELLS TO THE WINNERS (ONCE AGAIN THESE TARGETS NOT INCLUDED IN HAA AND HOA. THERE WILL BE A 2ND 100 DOUBLES ON FRIDAY (SAME DEAL, NOT INCLUDED, SHELLS FOR PRIZES. WE WILL BE SHOOTING A 100 HANDICAP ON SATURDAY, SAME DEAL. STAY TUNED TO THE ISTA WEBSITE AND OR HERE FOR UPDATES AND MORE INFO ON THE ADDED MONEY HANDICAP TO BE SHOT ON SUNDAY.

2. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info BK....

I think I will mosey over Sunday for the derby.

3. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

Now if we could get less splits in the options, more of us would show up or shoot more days. My squad of 5 have reduced our attendance by over 300 targets each, each year the last 3 years. For near 20 years the crew always shot our own state shoot Wed. though Sunday. Now we may show up for the championship targets only. 1500 to 2000 less targets paid for each year, because of recieving less on a played option than the entry fee. End result is less players and less attendance.

Those boardmembers that design the program need to understand that not everyone should recieve a trophy or part of their money back. Its a gamble by gamblers/ option players. We expect a return for winning the bet. Same for NE and MN where we don't travel to any longer. Take a lesson from MO, where we do attend.

Maltz

4. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

Steve, I think you need to voice your opinion to your zone director and to the president so it at least gets heard. I think that the members of the ISTA have the right to know when there are directors meetings so we can get the issues to them to be discussed and I also believe that there should be a time period during that meeting where you can voice your opinion and know that it got brought up and discussed. This BOD shows that they are concerned with changing the program to help with the economy issues and if proven to them that we need to try something different, in your case with payouts, maybe they will give it a try.

5. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

LIkes to shoot, glad to have you, I imagine with the deer season that numbers might be down but we had 42 shooters last time and a kitty of over $3200

6. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I for one am not in favor of the changes.

On some days they want us to shoot 200 16s and 100 handicap.

Well, I'm not exactly a spring chicken anymore.

When I was younger, I could and I did shoot 300 birds in a day.

I don't do that anymore, so instead of the desired affect of getting people to shoot more targets, my squad will be shooting less targets.

I'm sure there will be others doing the same.

Also, on Thursday, they have 100 16s followed by the Hawkeye 100 (16s).
    Is this to be separate 16 yard programs in one day? Or are they saying the 2nd hundred will be the Hawkeye 100 but it will be a 200 bird program?

Hauxfan!

7. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

Beerking.....I have written e-mails every year to our zone director, now ATA director, past ISTA president and visited with the SE zone director every year for 3 years. There have been some changes in options offered, but not in splits percentages. Have named those concerned, as if they didn't know, and state attendance records prove our point on lost target sales. This goes back to when Conrad Smith was the SW zone director, also an officer in the same club I was President for 12 years. We did not agree on the trophy issue or money splits. The philosophy still exists today and attendance has gone backwards since. Of which, not all related to how options are managed, but effected by local economics.

Thereto, we see better participation and point proven when attending other major midwest events. Even the Grand offers less option splits than NE and they have lost 2 squads of IA shooters for over 8 years based on the same issue. No state shoot is growing at this point, but when there is opportunity to effect those that would attend by changing something as simple as how options are managed, it seems industral strength stupid not to have a more serious discussion. My guess, those that make the decisions have little interest and have a different set of values than option players.

It seems to matter less to those of us that choose which shoot to attend each weekend, compared to those who's responsibility it is to design a shoot program that attracts more shooters and or participation. This is not a big deal or deal breaker, but opinion from avid shooters, even in todays economics. We will continue to travel to the program and places we like best. No different than your crew.

Maltz

8. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

Almost forget....I like the ISTA changes because I'm not a woosie like Hauxfan:)>)) Sorry bro....I couldn't pass that one up. Your just too easy.

Maltz

9. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

10. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

And last year the state shoot was too damned hot. I heard some old man went down in the heat. I hope you change the temperature.

11. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

That's okay, Maltzie. When I was young and foolish like some people,( I won't use your name) I'd shoot 500 birds in a day and it didn't bother me.

I'm older and wiser now.........LOL LOL

Lit, it wasn't even hot for our shoot. You must really be out of shape for you to fold up your tent and go home because of that little warm spell. :)

Hauxfan!

12. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

Once again the HOA and HAA will be determined by the same amount of targets shot in the same amount on the same days as past. No one is asking for you to shoot any more targets, they are giving you the chance to shoot the targets you used to shoot on Tuesday on Wednesday - Sunday. How many you shoot is your choice and not, one more time no more targets are required per any day more then the past for the HAA and the HOA.

13. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

14. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

15. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

heck maltzie i was under the impression the sw iowa clowns only shot for high averages attaboys & trinkets with the attaboys & trinkets being 1 & 2.. especially the old possum cop & his mossberg 500 dwain

16. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

17. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

Cookie.....the best trinket is offered by the flat and the best ataboy is when they hand you the cash.

Maltz

18. CO - 369

CO - 369 TS Member

You're not too far off Cookie. I had one of those Mossberg Hi-ribs once. Kinda wish I had kept it. Along with about a dozen other guns!

19. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

20. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.