1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Iowa Pheasant Hunt???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by richrob, Dec 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrob

richrob TS Member

The brother in law and I are looking to take a few day trip to Iowa for a pheasant hunt either the week before or after Christmas if we don't end up going to the Rose Bowl.

We are looking for a lodge where we can stay, eat, and what not. We would prefer wild birds.

Any suggestions? Thanks, Rich

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

go to south dakota

regards from Iowa

Gene

3. Sam (ATA Noobie)

Sam (ATA Noobie) Member

I though pheasant hunting was good in NW Iowa until I went to SD. If you're going to spend money, that's where I'd go.

4. concordefamily

concordefamily Member

"go to south dakota...regards from Iowa"

Nice. It sound like the residents of SD would be much nicer anyhow.

5. g7777777

concorde you are obviously someone else- multiple IDs?

I meant it isnt worth coming to Iowa to hunt phesants- go to SD - thats where they are although Kansas has some good combination hunts possible for quail and phesant

regards from Iowa

Gene

6. richrob

richrob TS Member

Thanks, this summer a guy was telling me how good Iowa was, thought I would check it out, guess not. -Rich

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

We (my son, the 4 pointers and I) were planning to do the same thing if the weather forecast isn't too bad. Have not been able to find anything w/ wild birds that looks promising in Iowa. Al, if you have some info, would appreciate it.

8. g7777777

If Al has some information -- and can "set you up"- take him up on it

The report in the DSM register - quoting hunters and DNR officials stated "Worst Phesant Population in 50 years" I think.

I am not trying to keep you away from Iowa to be sure- the state and local economy could use your money--

But I do think you should have an idea that maybe there are much better places.

Just hunting in eastern Iowa with a group of bird dog people that had been in NW Iowa the week before--= they harvested 1 bird between the 3 of them in NW Iowa -- and they had good dogs

Gene

9. duke76

duke76 Member

up top is the link to hole in the wall

10. g7777777

Thanks Al-- I might do that- what kind of dogs do you hunt? just curious

cute name for a lodge---

regards from Iowa

Gene

11. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

**Take a look at Kansas .... more birds allowed per day and you can start earlier in the morning.**

Ditto for ND...fewer hunters too.

12. duke76

duke76 Member

Al, I have Brittanys,not shorthairs and I still have 2 male pups for sale if anyone is interested.

13. Setterman

The "hole in the wall" place should be called "Hole in the Pocket". Yikers, $2,500 for a 3 day hunt? There goes my beer money.

14. duke76

duke76 Member

I just talked to Joe, he runs the place, he said to email him and he says he can work something out for less money depending on what you want, here is how to get a hold of him or call 17125393344 but he says he doesnt have his phone on very much, so email would be better.

mailto:info@holenthewalllodge.com?subject=Information Request

15. duke76

duke76 Member

My bad, Joes cell phone is 1-712-540-3344.

16. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

It's true, there are lots of birds in SD, but the limit is 3/day. Kansas and ND limit is 4. Don't recall Iowa right now. If you hunt the right places, put in the miles, and shoot well, you can shoot a limit in any of those states. More birds than enough to allow you a reasonable chance at a limit means nothing.

Yes there is lots of commercialization in SD, but there's also miles and miles of public land and walk-in land. Similarly, there's lots of free access land in ND under the PLOTS pogram.

Some places in SD (and other states too) shoot released birds. No reason to travel for that, you can shoot released birds right there in OH.

If it were me, I'd go to north central SD or south central ND. Plenty of birds, lots of places to hunt, lighter hunting pressure. Could it be cold? Sure, so what?

17. Setterman

Flincher, I'm in Ohio too. We use to have decent bird numbers in the NW part of the state. But that ended in the early 70's. I went to Iowa 6 years in a row ( around the Amana colonys, Montezuma, Grinell, etc) and had some great hunts, but our farmers either sold out or leased their land, and their bird numbers declined there as well. It's difficult for me to take a full week off to hunt, but want to get the dogs on wild birds. SD requires 3-4 days travel time there and back, so I'm searching for Iowa contacts. Don't mind paying a reasonable rate, just want to do the real deal with the dogs.

18. OldMnGopher

OldMnGopher TS Member

North Dakota limit is 3 a day..

19. luckyshot

luckyshot TS Member

google century farms. ask for nate. tell him one of the poppen group referred you . tim

20. richrob

richrob TS Member

thanks for all the info, but it looks like Ill have to postpone the trip.

Rose Bowl here I come - Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

iowa pheasant hunt wild birds