1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Invector-Plus Fouling

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gdbabin, Jul 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

My wife Boom-Boom shoots a XT Combo complete with Browning Invector-Plus tubes. She does well with keeping her gun clean most times, but after a big shoot her tubes become fouled with plastic and other leftovers that cannot be removed easily by "normal" field cleaning means.

I can shoot my fixed choke 3200's all day long without any build-up, just a few shot-shell sprinkles that a squirt of Rem Oil and a bore snake takes care of in a jiffy.

The choke build-up always occurs near the muzzle end of the choke; not on the end where the barrel and choke interface where I'd expect a slight ridge and better understand. It makes no matter what shell she shoots, or Inv-P choke installed.

Is this the nature of the beast with Inv-P chokes? What about screw-ins in general?

When my son was shooting I'd call his 1100 Dirty Girl. Between Boom-Boom's filthy chokes AND the !@#$%^&* ported barrels, I think I'll call her gun Trashy Slut.

Night we get better results with an aftermarket screw in?

Guy Babin

2. Caribou woodland

Caribou woodland Member

I Guy,just put the tub in a bath of WD 40 for 24 hours or more and make sure to whipe it good.Salutations Pierre

3. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

Coat the inside of your choke tubes with Slip 2000. This has eliminated any build up in my chokes tubes. I shoot Briley and Wrights choke tubes.

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Never had that problem Guy..but then I always screw in aftermarket tubes in my gun..never got satisfactory patterns out of any of the factory Browning chokes..I have 90% Brileys but the Carlsons/Trulocks/Rhinos all worked great..although the Rhinos porting did collect plastic but not in the contriction bore area...I think Boom-Boom will like the way the Brileys puff them harder

5. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I shoot Browning Invector plus factory chokes in all my Brownings Invector Plus choked guns. While I have some Briley's in invector plus, I rarely use them for one reason or the other. I never noticed a wad build up problem, but then again I do run a paper towel of CLP down the barrels after each shoot. I have found CLP will clean down to the bare metal. An interesting side note here. Back in the days I was in the Army they issued CLP for gun cleaning. I could never get an M 16 fully clean as residue kept comming out of the barrel. I mentioned it to my gunsmith. His answer, "That damned stuff never stops cleaning until it gets to bare metal or finish. It takes days for it to eat through metal jacket residue. A patch will come out dirty for days." I took his advice and used boiling hot water and Balistol to clean my M-16 after that. And I never turned in a "dirty" weapon again. Or at least one that a dry patch came out dirty with. So when I picked a cleaner for my own firearms it was CLP as I have the time to swab and and days later swab again. Barrels and chokes are always clean, I think!

6. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

You might change chokes or have the porting checked for excessively sharp holes on the barrell interior. I have and had many Browning IV+'s and never had a problem as you describe. I used to take along a fully charged cordless drill if I was going out of town and scrubbed the barrel(s)at days end with good ole Hoppee's #9.

7. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

My point Dave.... I've NEVER had to do that with my fixed chokes.

8. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

I shoot a TM1 with both Perazzi and Wright's and I also shoot a Browning XT with both Invector Plus and Wright's. All of them will accumulate plastic residue and just oiling or swabbing won't remove it for me so I use a cleaning brush covered with a patch and squirt Remington Bore Cleaner on the patch. About 3 or 4 patches later the chokes and everything else in the barrels are clean. I then swab with a little Break Free CLP if I'm not going to shoot for a while.

Mark

9. CalvinMD

Mix you up some Eds Red Guy....works great when I've needed it

10. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

put your cleaning rod in a drill, squirt in a little WD40 and run it through the barrel. Plastic fouling will be a bad memory. I have inv+

11. ctreay

ctreay Member

My Citori and my wifes BT100 both have the invector+ chokes, neither have been bothered with build-up. All I do is give em a shot of WD-40 and a boresnake when we are done shooting. Maybe once a month they get some Hoppes #9 and a brass brush and a few patches.

ctreay

12. 5 Stand Dan

5 Stand Dan Active Member

I always find it humorous when people debate Browning chokes vs. Briley chokes, Briley makes the Browning chokes!

What ammo are you using? Are you shooting factory, or reloads. Claybuster vs. Downrange. It's not just one answer.

Who knows the cause, but if you have plastic in your choke; a tornado brush, solvent of your choice and a electric drill can do wonders.

5 Stand Dan

P.S. My plastic build up in my Browning is at transition of barrel to choke, not the end of choke. I check it ever 2,000 rounds or so. If I miss, it's not the plastic.

13. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I know HOW to clean the damned things. I just believe I shouldn't have to if they were designed properly.

Why is it that that screw-ins foul and a fixed choke barrel typically does not at the muzzle?

The only explanation must be the differences in the contour profile of the constriction region, and/or the finish inside the chokes.

Guy B.

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The wad you use will have a lot to do with it.

However, pre treating with Slip 200 or similar will make the problem less. I suppose if you were completely anal you could polish the choke to a mirror finish.

Wally world sells a carb cleaner in a spray can for $1.75 that works pretty good too.

HM

15. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

I clean my chokes with SLIP 2000 to remove plastic build-up. I'd have a Gunsmith check the barrel to choke "lip" to make sure you are not exposing the wad to an "edge". If there is an edge a gunsmith can hone it and remove it.

You might try an aftermarket screw-in. I like my Briley chokes!

16. mikkeeh

mikkeeh Active Member

Guy: My wife has Inv+ chokes. Same problem. We shoot the exact same loads..many times the same events, and after 300-400 there is alot of plastic fouling in the Inv+ at the muzzle end, and almost none on my fixed choke Beretta. BTW her Browning IS ported from the factory.

Dont know why???????? But you're not alone!

17. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

"I know HOW to clean the damned things. I just believe I shouldn't have to if they were designed properly."

You are asking tooooooo much. There is no such thing. Some clean their chokes once a year with a pocket knife.

18. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Now why would I want to mess up a perfectly fine pocket knife????

19. CalvinMD

It depends on the age of the Browning choke...Briley started producing for Browning later on..the original Browning manufactured chokes while not bad were also not the best

20. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

my buddy polished his screw in chokes and the problem disappeared. My invector plus chokes do retain a little plastic while my fixed chokes do not. I see no difference in performance from dirty tubes to cleaned ones though

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.