1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

inundated with fruit flies

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by quartering, May 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quartering

quartering Active Member

i've had the occasional fruit fly in the house before but this is ridiculous. what do you do to get rid of them? and don't say 9's: i can't even hit a carpenter bee! thanks

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Find whatever the eggs were laid on and get rid of it. Then hang some sticky strips as needed.

3. dhip

dhip Active Member

I just read somewhere that a fly similiar to fruit fly actually thrives in the drain of sinks.I believe the cure was 1 cup of bleach down drain whenever flies are present.

4. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Is there a chance that they are not fruit flies but drain flies? The two look very similar but the drain flies will lay eggs in the drains of sinks and such and then after hatching and maturing,m the adults will fly around looking like fruit flies but usually not circling only on fruit bowls and such.

If they are drain flies then one thing you can do is pour some chlorine bleach down the drain and then cover the drain with a wet rag and put something on the rag to help it seal against the drain. Leave the rag on overnight. Do not use a good cloth for the seal since the chlorine fumes will cause the colors to be bleached out.

Here is some directions from the asktrapperjohn.com web site It is listed under "Trapper Topics".

DRAIN FLIES

These are the sewer flies that sometimes breed and multiply in your drains. To eliminate these pests, do the following:

Before going to bed, take a bucket and put an old rag in it for every drain in the house. Put enough water in the bucket to soak the rags thoroughly. Now put a cup of chlorine bleach down every drain and cover the drain with one of the rags. (Floor drains require two cups of bleach.) Fold the rag into pad, but DO NOT squeeze the water out, it must be sopping wet. Place the rags over the drains to seal them and go to bed. In the morning pick up the rags and if they are bleached on the side facing the drain, you did the job correctly and the flies, larvae and eggs are dead. If the rag is not bleached, something is wrong. You will need to locate the problem and do that drain again. Some vanities and all bathtubs have an overflow hole that you must plug. This system only works if the drain is sealed so the fumes from the bleach are trapper in the drain. The fumes are what kills everything in the drain.

5. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana.

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

If you just got some new plants it could be these sweeties. They act like a fruit fly on meth, really jumpy. They are attracted to computer screens when the other lights in the house are off. They're really tough to swat, but if you can find the plant they're hanging out in, spray it with some Raid Flying Insect Killer (which will kill fruit flies too). If you want to attract them into a "killing zone", set some vinegar out and set up your Triple-A around it. If all else fails I guess there's always chopsticks. ;-) Good luck.

7. crusha

crusha TS Member

If you're talking about the little gnatty-looking things, it could be plants in the house. I hybridize daylilies & when growing seedlings under lights in the winter, these things will appear. The sticky fly strips hung next to the plants will get a ton of them (obviously not an option, though, if it's in a "presentable" portion of the house). There is supposedly some type of treatment you can mix and put in the soil to nix them, but it's not common because I only heard of it on a daylily email round robin and have never seen it elsewhere.

The "drain flies" thing is legitimate, too. I can recall having them many years ago, and a nice application of Drano seemed to break the cycle. It took some time to figure out where they were coming from. They seem to congregate around drains that aren't used often, and at that time, it was my laundry room sink that was the culprit. I was not running it anywhere close to every day, and that seemed to make the difference (commonly-used drains like the bathroom sink didn't get them).

If yours are the drain variety and the chemical/atomic bombs do the trick, you may be able to prevent recurrence just by making sure you run the water in that drain at least a couple times a day. Worth a shot.

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Hey guys, thanks for the "Drain Fly" info. That's what these little black bastards are in my spare bathroom. I having been battling those things for a year now but didn't know where they were coming from. Heck I didn't even know what I was dealing with.

You can bet your pay there will bleach in my drains tonight. Thanks again.

9. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Saran wrap the toilet,just dont forget!! LOL Jeff

10. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I think the critters on Buzz's daylilies are probably fungus gnats. They lay eggs in the soil and the larvae feed on the roots of the plants. It's an endless cycle and I don't know how to kill them without killing the plant.

11. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Lorsban will kill them

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Thank God no fly problems here...now stinkbugs are another story

13. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

We had a drain fly infestation in our home late last fall. We took a two steps to get rid of them. First was to clean the drains and treat with chlorine bleach as desribed previously. Second, we set drain fly traps near each of the sinks. The drain fly traps were simply a glass of cheap wine with a drop of dish soap in it. I assume that vinegar would work well also. The drop of soap was used to remove or lower the surface tension of the wine so the litter buggers couldn't walk on the surface of the wine. Good luck!

14. GRR

GRR TS Member

THIS METHOD REALLY WORKS....

FILL A SHOT GLASS FULL OF VINAGAR AND ADD 2-3 DROPS OF DAWN DISH SOAP, STIR.

PLACE NEAR FLIES AND STAND BACK

KEEP FULL UNTIL FLIES ARE GONE, 3-5 DAYS

15. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Catpower, Isn't Lorsban banned from residential use?

16. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

Drain or sewer flies (that's all I've heard them called in the south) can be a problem when your traps are going dry. The flies come in from sewer/septic system. If you've got plumbing traps that aren't getting some occasional water, they will dry out and no longer be sealed. If you are going to be gone from home for a while, or have a sink or floor drain that doesn't get used for long periods, you can add some vegetable oil after making sure the trap is full; a couple of tablespoons should do it. Keeps the water from evaporating. If you have flies and rotten egg smell, it is definitely dry traps.

17. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Johnny yeah it used to be sold as Dursban, and that was labeled for residential use but the EPA decided it worked too good so they restricted it

But if you have an applicators license you can still but it, and I know always follow label directions, buy I use it's for my personal use, so I really don't care

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.