1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

internet service

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ricks1, Nov 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

thought this would be a good place to ask questions what is the best internet service i know many are local but ATT AOL and some others are national i have MSN and they are getting bad here in WV get cut off pic are messed up changed the dial up number to a long distant before i caught it is anyone else had that with MSN? rick in WV

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Take a look at NetZero if your looking at dialup service.

$9.95 per month. $6.95 per the first year.

AOL is not recommended. Overpriced and many have problems receiving mail because of AOL SPAM policies.

3. Augie Daddi

Augie Daddi TS Member

If cable is available, it's the fastest and reliable. DSL is 2bd choice. If neither available try Wild Blue, a stand-alone Satelitte service. Not as fast as cable or DSL but 10 times faster than dial-up. It's always on. We had dial-up at at our range but went with Wild Blue several months ago. We also WiFi to other PC's at the range. A bit pricey but much better than dial-up if cable or DSL not avaiable. We're satisfied with it.

They've got a special going on at the link above. Their home page is below.

http://www.wildblue.com/

Augie

4. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

yes i have dial up or satelite only the wild blue sounds good but is not avalible here right now there is a Hughes but is 60 a mo for 24 mo then go back to ? i am afraid of the ? rick

5. bkms

bkms Member

ricks, PLEASE dont get WILDBLUE, i have it, it SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I promise you, you will cuss them if you get it. I wish i had my dialup back. I am paying $50 (monthly) for worthless service. Not only are you affected by the weather in your area but i am also affected by the weather in minnesota (somewhere up there) i believe it is. Belive me, you dont want WILDBLUE. Another thing, if you need to talk to them, its nothing to stay on hold for two hours. I have a coworker that has it also and he cusses it daily. I cant wait for my contract to run out so i can go back to dialup. Yes, its that bad!!!!!!!!!! bob..........

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Time-Warner is still on the anti-gun list and, unless there's new info, Time-Warner is still linked to AOL. That's plenty enough good reason to dump them in my book; that's if you can convince them to let you go. The reason for that last point is that I've heard real horror stories how to get AOL to stop charging your charge card for their service. Personally, I like a local service where I can go in and deal directly with some humans...breakemall....Bob Dodd

7. 8708

8708 Member

Speaking of internet service. What do you with RV's use for a service provider while traveling to shoots? I'm new to the RV game and would like a reliable service so I can conduct business while attending some of the major shoots.

Thanks in advance.

8. Augie Daddi

Augie Daddi TS Member

Since I brought up Wild Blue and we seem to be satisfied with it, is there another satellie provider? We can't get cable or DSL and dial-up was horrible. Downloading a good size file was near impossible.

Any other satellite providers out there?

ABD

9. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

I have what was an Adelphia, now Time Warner cable modem, and it seems like it or my computer also may be getting slower and slower. Is it possible that the faster DSl's, like one advertised at 6 Mbps could be faster????? I have no idea. Price is $29.99 a month, a little less than the $44 I'm paying for the cable modem. I know it can have something to do with how many people in your neighborhood are also using a cable modem, but in general, can a good DSL be faster at all?????

10. jimx200

jimx200 Member

A few ideas: I got a call from Comcast a few days ago touting their high speed cable for $19.95 a month for 12 months, no contract. That is a very good deal for cable as I know they are fast.
    I use a Sprint wireless data device for my laptop and get very good speed...about the same as DSL. Cost is $59. a month for unlimited downloads. If interested, Sprint has a 14 day trial period and 30 day trial period in California.

11. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Would still like to know if a fast DSL could be as fast as a cale modem. I have always heard NO.

12. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I have a Verizon FIOS (fober) broadband connection to AOL and would like to find a replacement. Too much money and NO tech support. Does anyone use Verizon?

13. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

I had Verizon (and canceled it because it was slow), which had tech support but it was east Indian, as I recall. Techs seemed poorly trained and had difficulty conversing in English. As with AT&T in the past, there is more to tech support than availability.

Rollin

14. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I use PeoplePC.com and have no problems. Give them my Earthlink and it was terrible. Went to EV1.net and was good but they got out of the internet business a couple years back and recommended PeoplePC and they would switch you over on a certain date. I went ahead and switched early to avoid any mass confusion and all has been good. I have not had to call them since I switched over. They also have an accelerator and you can pick the speed you want from a few speeds. Email for my name if you use them. I think they also give you a deal at first for a month or more. Ray

15. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

thanks for all the replys as i said i am in west virginia we are sooooo far behind the rest of the country i live 15mi from the 2nd largest city in the state no cable and no dsl hell lucky to have a phone ATTis dail up but still not high speed verizon is the phone company but no internet service guess iam stuck rick

16. JohnBT

JohnBT TS Member

Sounds like it. I used to have AOL dialup, then Verizon tore up the streets.

I've had Verizon Fios since the middle of last year and it's wonderful. If I could stay home long enough to meet the installer I'd have Verizon Fios television too. That's my New Year's resolution - a flat screen tv and fiber optic hdtv.

John

17. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I live out in the country,and in the higher elevations of Arizona. When we first moved here all we had was dial-up, it would drop the connection all the time. Finally I had enough and had Hughes satellite system installed. It works great absolutly no problems. A little pricely at $69.99 per month, but the trouble free part is well worth it for me.

I also have a Chevrolet Duramax crew cab pickup with the On-Star system, part of this system is the handsfree phone. I can usually make a call out almost anywhere I happen to be with this phone.

Tom Strunk

18. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

going with the hughes at least they are americans that speak correctly free trial too rick

19. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

pull they told me that up front like that they are honest thanks rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.