1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Internet Provider Help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by esoxhunter, Sep 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I need some of you computer "Gurus" to give me some advice. The wife and I are contemplating leasing a lot in a campground in Wisconsin. (We live in Arkansas except for June-July-August) The problem I have is the campsite has no phone or cable service. I can hook up my Directv up there by just adding a 2nd sattelite dish, (for TV purposes) and have my account transferred up there for 3 months. However, what about internet service? From what I hear satellite internet service is extremely expensive and even then, they would probably want a year contract; whereas I would only need it for 3 months. Any ideas? Thanks. Ed

2. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Both Verizon and Sprint have wireless "DSL" service. I think they all use the same network, and speed/coverage is dependent on their towers. I put DSL in quotes as my experience, best speeds have been just over 1 down and about 256 up. Not bad when flying down the road and wife is surfing in the passenger seat for something in the town up ahead etc. But once you have true high speed at home, you become pretty spoiled and the wireless speed is modest at best. Still, in trade off for dialup speeds, it is great. I think the cards are cheap now, maybe 50 bucks, and service is between 50-80 bucks a month depending on your carrier.

The only cards I have seen are PCMCIA type, but they might have desktop or USB powered units. I would check the coverage out where are you going to be before jumping into anything.

Also, possibly someone in that area would have a 802.11g, b, or n access point running and you could cut a deal if possible. The original 802.11a was a problem with distances and probably would not work for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.