1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

International with a Release, Oulawed

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by k3uro, May 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey,

Tried shooting internation Skeet with my Release. I see why they are not alowed. When I would attempt to mount my gun it would bo off. I had a hard time keeping enough pressure on the trigger. Might be able to get the hang of it but would probably try to shoot a pull instead :eek:).

Jim

2. k3uro

k3uro Member

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Or you could just wait to set it until you have the gun mounted.

Ed

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Simple solution-set the trigger with the gun open-close it -then call for the target!!

5. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I shoot a release/pull for low gun sporting and for international bunker. I do not find it to be any problem at all. Pre-mount the gun. Lower it. Set the trigger and call for the bird.
    What is the issue?
    Jake

6. webley

webley TS Member

Ed,
    Have you shot ISSF (International) Skeet?

The targets are considerably faster than the NSSA version (almost like the difference between ATA & Olympic Trap ones) – plus there’s a variable delay on the release of the targets. In addition international skeet has a mandatory ‘ready’ position where the heel of the stock is about where your lowest rib is. The gun can only be mounted once the target is released. Taking all this into account there’s just not time to mount – set the trigger – then release the trigger. What with one thing & another it’s not really practical to ‘mount – set trigger – fire’. The speed that the trigger would have to be pulled to set & then released to fire would mean that any supposed advantage of the release trigger would be negated.

I think Jim’s problem is not that the gun fires when he sets the trigger (whilst at the ready position) but that the action of mounting the gun sometimes causes his finger to move enough to release the trigger prematurely.

Jim,
    With perseverance you may be able to use your release trigger without any problems but International skeet is difficult enough to learn as it is without adding complications (plus you’ll need to comply with the rules at some point anyway).

Regards
    Russell

7. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

When I say pre-mount then lower set and call for the bird, I mean just that. The pre-mount is just for muscle memory. The games are shot with a low gun start. I shoot I. skeet and low gun sporting with a release/pull. To tell the truth, I am not sure a release is legal in I.skeet. It is not legal in bunker for sanctioned I.trap (which is shot with a shouldered gun). I shoot it for fun and local tournaments. I don't shoot on the international circuit. But shooting with a low gun and a release is no problem. Jim, you will learn if you want to. Jake

8. AveragEd

Russell, I bow to your experience as I have none. I shot American skeet once and sporting clays three times in my life, so I was applying trapshooting logic to Jim's problem.

Actually, I don't use a release for anything but trapshooting. I can mount and fire a shotgun or rifle with a pull trigger without as much as thinking about setting the trigger while hunting or shooting anything but trap. Perhaps Jim could get by with a pull trigger for International skeet?

Ed

9. Baber

Baber TS Member

Lets stop this sillyness .... Release Triggers are illegal in Olympic shooting. The ISSF banned them in 2005. Using a relase for skeet is CRAZY....

TB

10. webley

webley TS Member

Ed,
    If you get the chance please have a go at International Skeet – no matter what the score you’ll enjoy the experience.

I’m aware of how & why people use release triggers but I’ve no personal experience of using them. Bearing in mind your own comments – would it generally be true that someone who needs one for trap doesn’t need one for the sporting clays or skeet (the increased spontaneity removing the tendency to flinch?).

Jake,
    As I read Jim’s question – he was having trouble keeping the pressure on the (already set) trigger as he mounted the gun to actually fire – if so – then pre-mounting to set the trigger & then lowering to the ready position won’t solve his problem.

Regards
    Russell

11. Clay McCracken

Clay McCracken TS Member

jakearoo: I don't think you can "pre-mount" the gun, then lower and call pull in I. Skeet. (except for post 1, one time).

That's how I read the rules.

BTW, I shoot American Skeet with a release (391) and it works very well for me. I shot skeet with an AMU skeet shooter 2 years ago and he tried my release...funniest thing I ever saw.

Mike T.

12. AveragEd

Russell, that's highly probable.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.