1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

International tractor info

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by steele, Sep 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steele

steele TS Member

I'm looking into purchasing an International 574 diesel tractor. Who knows the good/bad about these? Butch from Pgh.

2. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

My dad had one years ago, both in a gas and a diesel. He traded the diesel for 674 for a little more power to pull a 3-16 bottom plow a little better. Both the gas and diesel versions had a lot of power for their size. The gas had to have two clutches put in it, but we had a loader on it and used it pretty hard. I can't say the clutch wasn't beefy enough. We just over used it. We always like the gears being on the left aside of the seat rather than in the center. It made getting on an off of the tractor much easier.

Good luck, John E.

3. maka

maka Member

I have a gas model. My son has a friend who owns a dealer ship. They put mine on a test dynomo and found it had 65hp. Good tractor only problem, had to replace the starter. Parts very readily availabe. Good luck.

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have a IH 544 diesel. The shifter is on the right hand side of the tractor. Pain in the ass. It will jam up at times if not handled right.

It is considered a ghost tractor. In other words its to old to have factory partsmade any more. Not old enought to have after market parts made. A pain if you need some parts. I have to travel over the mountain to get parts. Thats a 45 min drive one way.

If you are going to use a tractor buy something that you can get parts for and close by. When I get the money for another tractor its going to be a John Deere.

Good luck with what you find.

5. DB3006

DB3006 Member

Make sure it runs good before you buy it. Parts for the fuel injection pump are no longer available. Otherwise they were nice little tactors.

DB3006

6. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

As Auctioneer said, go with a John Deere they are the best in parts, they are pricey but they aren't made out of unobtainium

7. SeldomShoots

Auctioneer may have had problems with his right side shifter on a 544, but the 574, 674 and 784 with gear range and speeds on the left were well built powerhouses in a fairly compact form.

If the tractor you are looking at is in good shape, and priced fair, I don't think you will go wrong. However, if you are going to run it a lot, you might consider something newer. You might look at comparison pricing on a place like:

Tractorhouse.com

John E.

8. steele

steele TS Member

I just bought a small 43 farm & I am interested in putting in deer food plots, mowing & hobby farming. I have an 800 Ford, but it is starting to break alot.
    I don't need a new one, but I want something with more ass than the Ford I have.

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Find a nice 706 diesel. They weigh a little more and hold the tires better. Parts are readily available and the driveline is a little beefier than the 574. Stay away from the 60 series tractors completely.

Green paint does hide in the fence row easier;)

ss

10. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

One more thing. Find a good machanic to go through the tractor. He will be well worth the cost. He will help you stay out of trouble and find what you will not.

Also if you can buy a tractor with 4wd. The next tractor will have 4wd. It will pay for its self in time.

11. SeldomShoots

I would definately agree with Auctioneer on the 4wd thing on a tractor, especially if you are using a loader.

12. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

I'm with Shucker. If you can find an old IH 706 diesel BUY IT. It was a power house and had the weight to hold traction. It was easy on fuel for it's class. The 706 was naturally asperated and didn't have a turbo charger, but they do make after market ones for it. At night pulling hard with the T/A forward in high range she'll blow about 8 in. blue flame and walk a 15 foot disk like gang busters!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.