1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

International Skeet Targets For Trap Competit

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bigbore613, Apr 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Standard Trap and Skeet targets are 108mm, the International targets are 110mm,the Int. targets are also thicker. If in doubt check the White Flyer Targets website. Jeff

2. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

ATA rule says that targets may not be larger than 4-5/16 inches. 110 is larger the that. Jeff

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I doubt the use of International Skeet Targets.

Yes they are larger. Many machines can't use them wihout changing out the rack.

They fly different and more important, they cost more...

4. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

They are harder to break. Jeff

5. lumper

lumper TS Member

They still break if you hit them ... that is all you need to remember ... they break if you hit them.

Does this club regularly shoot international skeet? Which club is it? I would find it very interesting to actually think that they would waste a more expensive bird on registered trap ... I think possibly the bait is in the water and they have caught some fish. ;-)

6. Baber

Baber TS Member

I find this interesting but not surprising. With White Flyer thinking they are the only player in the target business and increasing pricing a number of imports have become attractive. I have been told that we can import targets from europe cheaper that we can procure WF's. Of course european targets will be to the international standard. They will go through the machine with little if any adjustment. One area that I would investigate regarding the low score is that outside the US the DE facto standard ALL orange target. Black rim or NY type targets are seldom seen. We know from test we have done that scores on Black rim targets are hight by as much as 5% on average. Wonder if this could be the cause of the score drop.

TB

7. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

I wonder how a skeetie would sit down when one of those targets was placed where it belongs.

jim brown

8. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Why would you do this, interantiaonal targets are just harder in compisition and your machine would have problems throwing this bird without adjustments.

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Many clubs buy the wrong targets by accident and, I suppose, intentionally at times if the "wrong" ones are less expensive. Locally, a couple of clubs have been sold sporting clays biodegradable targets for trapshooting with lower scores and upset shooters as a result.

As Mr. Murray from White Flyer told us a couple of years ago, SC bios have thicker domes than trap and skeet targets to withstand the higher spring tension of some SC traps. That really affects their breakability (if that is a word) in trapshooting because we shoot at our targets edge-on. For that reason, White Flyer strongly recommends not using them for trap. The first trap club in this area to use them actually bought them through one of their own shooters who works for a sporting goods distributor that was temporarily out of the standard trap targets. He just didn't know there was a difference and since trapshooting is not a major activity at this club, no one at the club knew any better, either.

But the shooters knew something was up because they had the last of their old batch of targets in the first house and the new targets in the second house. Several of us went from smoking them on the first trap to chipping them and breaking them in half on the second field, so I walked out to that house and checked out the boxes. If you see an image of a pheasant on the box or target, they are intended for sporting clays.

Could that club have bought those international targets by accident, too?

Ed

10. LOWGUN

LOWGUN TS Member

International targets(skeet & trap ) are a bout 1/10 of an inch flatter and slightly larger in diameter. If you cross-sectioned one you would see that it is much thicker. In my experience with shooting international while in the service, many targets were dusted and not broken so it's entirely posible to see lower scores.Yes, they are more expensive. Mike

11. LOWGUN

LOWGUN TS Member

International targets(skeet & trap ) are a bout 1/10 of an inch flatter and slightly larger in diameter. If you cross-sectioned one you would see that it is much thicker. In my experience with shooting international while in the service, many targets were dusted and not broken so it's entirely posible to see lower scores.Yes, they are more expensive. Mike

12. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Maybe if we had the name of the club so someone could respond....

13. Oldman1949

Oldman1949 Banned User Banned

I fully understand that rules are rules,but as long as EVERYONE shot the SAME TARGETS wheres the problem ? Whoever broke the most targets won the event correct ?

14. TOOT

TOOT TS Member

As far as that shoot is concerned "oldman" is correct. But it is not that simple as it can affect averages, HC punches and the like.

15. Oldman1949

I have re read the opening post 3 or 4 times and see no reference to the targets being set poorly .
    If it all comes down to averages, then what do people do when the weather is less than perfect ? Stay home because they might drop a couple . Just allways figured those tough to break targets are what seperated the truly great shooters from the wannabes.

16. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Sounds like a Skeet club trying to eliminate trap shooting.

17. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Not only is it against ATA rules, it is plain not fair, PERIOD. International targets are damn hard to break and if people were having a laugh then shame on them. Jeff

18. Oldman1949

Devil's Advocate :
    In a perfect world the rules would never be broken , but we don't live in a perfect world . If , and thats a big if , this club did in fact throw "illegle" targets perhaps that had a reason for doing so . Just one possible reason : They were shipped international targets by mistake and did not have enough regulation targets for the shoot . What were they supposed to do ? Let a few squads shoot legal targets and the rest shoot the harder ones , cancle the shoot all togather , Limit the number of entries to the number of legal targets they had ?
    I go to a shoot to shoot . And as long as everyone has to shoot the same targets I really don't have a complaint . Do I prefer by the book targets ? You bet I do . But I have been at it long enough to know that it isn't going to be that way all the time . And no matter what , the best shooter that day will post the high score .
    I find it a little hard to believe that no one at this shoot actualy checked the targets to see if they were ,in fact, international . There had to be some empty target boxes or unbroken targets on the grounds somewhere.

19. Target13

Target13 Active Member

Got to respond to this ...... c'mon tell us the specific name of the gun club that "allegedly" threw International Targets at an American Trapshoot !!! Surely if you wanted to "stir the pot" you'd list the name of that club, so other shooters might make their own decision whether they wanted to shoot that club or not ?? If this is the case, what were the factors behind using International Targets for American Trap ?? Sounds silly when the cost per case is over $1.00 more than the Standard 108's. THere are two sides to every story and as I see it, one of you continues to "stir it up" without the facts being told to all of us.

If this is a true incident and that facility thought this would be a funny joke at the expense of the shooters, I'd either boycott that facility or get with the governing body delegate and turn them into their State Association for possible discipline. Again, until everyone hears both sides and is offered the facts, rather than heresay, all this sounds like a lot of nonsense.

I would like to respond to "TBaber" or whomever you are for "smartass" comment about White Flyer. First and foremost, why the insinuation that these were White Flyer Targets ?? I see no where in the post that the targets are anything other than 110mm International Targets - no specific mention of brand. Are you inferring that White Flyer was involved in this "alleged" incident ??

Secondly, your saying I quote, " ....with White Flyer thinking they are the only player in the target business", what sort of "crack" is that ?? What does this have to do with the original issue ?? You are entitled to your opinion and I respect that, but quit trying to stir up things by making irresponsible statements like these. You know nothing about White Flyer or their dedicated staff of folks that day in and out are working behind the scenes to promote the shooting sports you enjoy. That is the wonderful thing about our country - choices exist. If you'd prefer other brands of targets and prefer their quality or costs, your voice is heard thru your purchase of their targets and not ours. WE hope that you purchase White Flyer out of choice and quality and with that, I end this conversation.

Phil Murray

20. crew

crew TS Member

After reading these threads I was able to figure out I was at this shoot. Ive been at most of their Registered shoots. Their going to have a really nice facility and I agree with Ted. I don't know about the targets they used but I wouldn't be supprised if they were skeet as they have a really nice skeet Range. They did give out nice prizes and besides that everyone on the last day got a nice gift just for being there. I did see some problems with at least one trap that just kept working its way up and was reset and up again a few squads later,they do have some problems with setting targets and the doubles I shot at were bad. I shot factory high quality shells from long yardage and got good breaks but shot quick I did shoot one 24 and the one I missed was me. Targets were high and some low and not easy to hit so that's why I thought scores were low. It seems like clubs that throw targets over ravines always have the wind doing something. I plan on going to their shoots again and I think they want to put on a good shoot for everyone. They may need a few tips as I know some or most of them were not trap shooters. Wayne Ottem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.