1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

International reloading help please!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by OlympicTrapShooter, Nov 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OlympicTrapShooter

OlympicTrapShooter TS Member

I would like to start reloading international rounds to shoot bunker trap with. But i just need to know what type of powder, shot, and wads i should use if i am going to reload Winchester double A's (AA). All help is appreciated! Thank you!

2. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Some of the very best advice can be had from your fellow bunker shooters ... have you asked them since they are the most familur with the best 24gram loads that you will need to shoot competively.

FYI ... you will want a load that by ATA standards is fast but you will want a zipply load pushing 1300+ fps. Best thing is to look at Winchesters site and see the specs on there International load and then look at the manufactures site of whatever powder your going to use and see what they recommend.

3. OlympicTrapShooter

Very nice site i like it. Thank you.
    Still taking any and all suggestions to what supplies i should use for intl'l loads. Thank you.

4. OlympicTrapShooter

Mr Newbius©
    I have asked some people i shoot with but i guess i really haven't gone out of my way to ask more. But i do like your idea about going to the Winchester site to check on their specs. And i am going to do so now. Thank you for your help.

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I really like Hodgdon's "Titewad" for 7/8 oz/24 grams loads. It really does a nice job and used with a TGT12 wad gives great performance.

ec90t

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If you want to be persnickety, 24 grams is less than 7/8 oz. .846575 oz to be exact, 7/8 is .875 oz.

someone convert this to grains so it can be scaled with a reloading scale.

I don't know if this would be an issue with you or not.

HM

7. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

I'm using 20.6 gr of Hodogon International, Downrange XXL Pink, Fio 616. Hodogon claims 1300 fps, I think it's running a hair faster due to the Mec 7/8 chilled bar (23.5). Does pretty good.

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

For a AA hull, I use the Cheddite primer, 20 gr Promo, or Red Dot, the Downrange pink XXL, and 7/8 oz shot. The Pink Claybuster can be used, but does not seem to get the job done at long range.

22 gr Intl' Clays will do the deed as well.

The difference between 24 grams and 7/8 oz is around six pellets.

9. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

International Clays has some nice loads. I always read the printed recipe for my self and suggest the same, just so someone doesn't accidentally make a typo (I don't load anything that is not printed in a book by a manufacture). I use green duster wads as well. Just my way as you will find hundreds more on here.

7\8 oz converts to 24.806 grams depending on shot size anywhere from 4 to 9 pellets.

10. setter

setter Member

7000 grains to the lb. 437.5 grains to the oz. .846575 oz. equal 370.4 grains. .875 oz. equal 382.8 grains.

11. lytnin1

lytnin1 Member

I use 21.5 gn Int'l, cheddite primer, AA or G/D wad with 24 gm #8 shot for 1325 fps in compression formed AA shell
    Mind that ISSF rules stipulate 24 gm +/- 1/2 gn

12. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Here's my reload.........

AA hull

Fio primer

20.5 gr Clay Dot

Win 12SL wad (pink)

24 gr of 7 1/2's........

Get great results with this load and we shoot thousands of them. I'm about to try swapping out the wad to the Downrange XXL pink and see how it performs. My cost on this load is about $3.25 per box. Sure beats paying for factory rounds at over double the price.

13. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

Personally, I'm partial to the B&G T2 wad (BP's 078 Lightning). But you can't use it with new-style AA's. I load it in Remington hulls.

Tony

14. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

OlympicTrapShooter:

For the AA hull, check this link out:

http://www.shootingbunker.com/OpenItUp.html#round_2

Has pattern runs at 30 and 35 yards with various chokes and 24 gram AA reloads.

- - Bill

15. OlympicTrapShooter

Wow off for less than 12 hours and look at all the replies!
    I would like to thank all the friendly people helping me out. Every post really makes a difference.

16. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

How do you get 24 grams of shot from a MEC 7/8's oz. charge bar?

Another option is to coat the inside of the bushing with nail polish. sally hansens hard as nails is what i use on my flies and if it's good enough for a fish it's good enough for a mec.

Have you reloaded before?

Make sure you are comfortable making adjustments to your reloader so you can get the crimp finish you want.

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I use a dial bar so it's not an issue, but before that a snippent of electrical tape did wonders for both powder and shot bushings needing adjustment.

Note:

Make the piece of tape so that it reaches from top to bottom of the bushing or hole. Adjust the width to suit.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.