1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

International Clays

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Matt Stockwell, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Stockwell

Matt Stockwell Member

Has anyone had any experience with Hodgdon International Clays powder. I've recently been loading Winchester Super Handicap and Hodgdon Clays. The Super HCP is very dirty and hard to get a good crimp with one ounce loads (very dense). The Clays is very clean, but can't load beyond 1200 with 1 1/8 of shot. I simply prefer a load around 1250. The International Clays seems like a good all around powder, just looking for some feedback before ordering 8 lbs.

Thanks,
    Matt Stockwell

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

My loads are fairly std @ 1145 fps 1 1/8oz. Recoil is at least as mild as anything else, I think its a little less. I'm just getting back into shooting 12ga, and I think i'll be going w/ international.

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I've yet to find a load that International Clays does better than Titegroup. International is a good powder, but very bulky and inefficient compared to Titegroup.

The only advantage that International has over Titegroup is the fact that you can use Downrange versalite wads!

All Good,

ec90t

4. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

International, 20.0 grains, AA Hull, Spolar 1 1/8 oz wad or Blue Duster, 7.5 shot size, AA primer = 1,230 est. ft/sec. Very effective as a handicap load. International has the same burn rate as Green Dot and performs the same, but cleaner. Fred

5. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

You might want to look at my current thread "Clays vs. Clay Dot". Depending upon your components, for any loads approaching 1200 fps and over, you might consider switching from Clays to a slower powder such as International or Green Dot...both have very strong followings. It would be great to have a single ideal powder that would cover loads from 1150 to 1225 or so for those of us shooting the shorter to mid handicap yardages. Some have suggested the slower powders as being suitable for everything, but I suspect that a load at less than optimal pressures is going to be somewhat inconsistent.
    WNCRob

6. Tom Ruble

Tom Ruble TS Member

Matt, I suggest you use the Super Handicap powder for your 1 1/8 oz. handicap loads @ 1250 fps. That is the exact purpose that powder was designed for. It was not developed as a one oz. load at slower velocities. On the other hand, Clays powder is an excellent choice for one oz. loads carrying a velocity from 1150 to 1200 fps. I've used both powders, for the exact purpose I suggested above, with excellent results. Break 'e all! Tom Ruble

7. chipking

chipking TS Member

I have used Alliant powders for a lot of years in 12ga Red Dot, Green Dot, Promo, American Select, e3 and Clay Dot. I tried Clays and International Clays recently and I have been astounded by just how clean they are. Fired cases look like brand new, barrels are spotless and my hands are clean after a loading session. I load a Nitro 27 hull, CCI 209 primer, DRRF8, 1 1/8oz hard 7 1/2 and 20.6 grains of International Clays. This is a ballistic match for the Nitro 27 factory load and shoots great. In all fairness Clay Dot and American Select are pretty clean as well.

--- Chip King ---

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

International Clays is a good choice for the HC load you are looking to assemble. It use to be my favorite but I am having even better results with Tite Group and the Remington TGT12 wad for 1 1/8 Oz HC loads. Anyway, you won't regret ordering a jug of International.

9. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Use International exclusively for 1 and 1 1/8 oz loads. Clean & reliable & meters very consistently.

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Matt, I used to use boatloads of Int Clays. At one time it was my favorite powder. Using it for 1 1/8oz @ 1235-1250 puts the pressure right up there at the top end. It's safe, but higher than I want to go. If that doesn't bother you, you will love the powder.

11. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

You've done your research well. International is a great powder though more expensive then some. I don't believe you will have any regrets if you go forward with it.

Robert

12. Matt Stockwell

Matt Stockwell Member

Thanks for the input everyone. International is one of only a few powders that will load both 1290 one ounce loads and 1250 1 1/8 loads. I think I am going to give it a try. I'm sure it will be much cleaner than the Super HCP, and should make better looking loads with the one ounce loads since it is bulkier. Titegroup is tempting also, but there seems to be a lot less loading data for it. Since I like playing with different wad and primer combos(usually because of availability) the International looks like the best option. Now if we can only get shot under $20 per bag, I'll have nothing left to worry about.

Thanks,
    Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best all around powder for handicap trap
clays international loads
hodgdon international clays
hodgdon international for handicap trap

international clays

international clays forums

international clays powder