1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

International Clays vs. Green Dot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mike G, Mar 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike G

Mike G Member

Really like the Clays line of powders but have always used Green Dot for my handicap reloads. Just wondering if these two powders perform similarly or if anyone has any opinions about International clays for handicap loads. Mike.

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Both are decent powders and are somewhat similar in performance. I'll use either, depending on what I have on hand and what's available. There is lots of data for both. Buy or borrow a pound of International Clays and try it out. No big loss if you don't like it.

3. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Claydustr,

Look up reloading data for Hodgdon's Titegroup powder while you are at it. Don't be concerned with the pressures listed on the heavier loads as it is a very soft shooting powder. It is very versitile in a 1oz and 1 1/8oz loads. The other benefit to this powder is that it is very economical. 18 grains will push a 1 1/8oz load @ 1235fps from a 30" barrel. It is also a nice clean burning powder to boot. Just some food for thought.

ec90t

4. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I used Green Dot for years, switched over to International 10 years ago and have been very pleased. Almost the same performance, Int. is cleaner if it matters. I have just come to like the Clays group of powders... shoot Clays for 1 ounce loads and Int. for 1 1/8 shot loads. Fred

5. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

I have used both and find that international is cleaner burning. While Green Dot offers more versatility for 1 1/8 loads, International can't be beat for 1 ounce loads. I'm going to try Winchester Super Handicap next. Looking at the loading tables it looks to be the best of both worlds. Has anyone tried the Super Handicap powder?

Robert

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

For a long time Int Clays was my favorite powder. Hodgdon's ballisticians put it (incorrectly IMO) at the same burn rates as Green Dot. I subsequently switched to PB. When PB became too fine grained to use in my loader I tried a lot of alternates. Green Dot was low on the list because of all the hoopla about being dirty, doesn't meter well, old fogey powder, and the like. As it turns out, it is none of those. After trying almost everything else on the planet, I now use Green Dot for ALL my 1 1/8oz loads. It is the most consistent of the bunch in the STS hulls I now use.

I think Int Clays is THE cat's meow for fast 7/8oz loads and all 1oz loads in Reifenhauser hulls. For compression formed hulls and 1 1/8oz loads, I like Green Dot much better. And it feels softer at the same fps.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

I like the versatility of Green Dot and I use quite a lot of it. The fact that it is made in the USA also sways me a bit.

Pat Ireland

8. thewolf

thewolf TS Member

I use international for my 20ga. It burns real clean, way cleaner than green dot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

clays vs green dot

clays vs greendot
green dot vs clays

green dot vs international clays

hodgdon international verses green dot
international clays vs green dot
international vs green dot
internationalclays vs green dot