1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

International Clays - MEC Bushing Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 101voodoo, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

Looking for info on which MEC bushing you use for this load:

Internat'l 1 1/8 Win. 209 Hor. Versalite 19.5 9,100 LUP 1200

I do have scales and will weigh the drops, just hoping someone can steer me to the right bushing and save some trail and error.

Been using 20.4 gns of Green Dot, thinking Int Clays may be a bit cleaner.

Thx,

Jim

2. Buckeye

Buckeye Member

I have a #31 bushing that I have filed a tad that gives me 20.0 grains of Int. Clays every time. I think my #30 gives me around 19.2. I have been using this powder for many years and it works great for me.

My favorite handicap load is 20.0 grains with a Fiocchi primer in a STS or Gun Club and a Downrange Windjammer wad with # 7 1/2 shot. This load is right out of the Hodgdon book.

The bushing chart in the Hodgdon data seems to come very close to what I get on my scale.

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Jim, This is off Mec's bushing chart. for inter. Clays powder as follows #29 will throw 19.3 grs. #30 will throw 20 grs. and #31 will throw 20.8 grs. This should give you a good starting point to start with. Please do use a good scale to fine turn your powder drops. If need be I like to go up one bushing and paint on some finger nail polish or model paint to bring it down. You can always remove the paint at a later date if you change powders or whatever. Once you grind down a bushing forever it is. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

4. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Better weigh/measure. My 32 mec bushing drops 19.8-20.3 within that range for international clays.

5. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Depends upon whether your loader is progressive or single stage. If progressive, use 31 or 32. If single stage step down one number. International Clays is VERY clean!

good luck,

milt

6. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

Thanks everybody,

I load on a 9000G w/automate, will try the #31 for starters.

Hope it works out, that's the same bushing I use for E3, could simplify load changes a bit.

Jim

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

101voodoo not a flame just a point of curiosity you are using a load that apparently is working for you. I say working for you because you have not complained about it.

"Been using 20.4 gns of Green Dot, thinking Int Clays may be a bit cleaner."

You evidently are looking for a bit cleaner. I would like to know "a bit cleaner" will gain you what? Assuming that you clean your gun on a regular basis. Will this mean that you will be able to clean less often? If you are shooting an autoloader or a pump gun I fully understand the desire for cleaner. If not it seem like a lot of effort for just "a bit cleaner". Just my opinion.

Bob Lawless

8. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

Hi Bob,

The 'bit cleaner' I'm after is mainly for the hulls, not so much the gun.

Green Dot seems to leave a lot of soot and residue on the hulls, and then on my hands, and then pretty much on everything else.

It does leave a quite a bit of powder on the over barrel (its ported, I know a lot of people hate porting, but since its already ported...) compared to the under barrel which gets a load of E3 for doubles.

It seems that International is more or less the Hodgdon equivalent of Green Dot, and if I can get similar performance with a cleaner load, I think its worth a try.

Jim

9. slickhead

slickhead Active Member

Whatever the mec chart says generally the bushing will drop 1 bushing size smaller. Weighing is most important.

10. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

Looks like #31 is the ticket. After settling in the drops range from 19.5 to 19.8, with most 19.7 on the dot. Drops seem very consistent.

Thanks again,

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.