1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

International Clays; Load Velocity?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Newfoundlander, Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newfoundlander

Newfoundlander Member

Would anyone have Cronographed Velocity for the following loads using International Clays Powder???

1'st load :

Rem. STS / Nitro Hull ;
    W209 Primer ;
    19.1 Grains of Int'l Clays ;
    Fig. 8 Wad ( Remington product ) ;
    1-1/8 ounce shot

2'nd Load :

Win. AA compression formed Hull ;
    W 209 Primer ;
    18.5 Grains of Int'l Clays ;
    AA12 white Wad ( Winchester product ) ;
    1-1/8 onuce shot

These are the loads which I favor , but doesn't have a Crono to check the actual Vel....

I greatly appreciate any input..

Robert Appleby

( Newfoundlander )

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I've never chrono'd those exact loads, but I have chono'd a lot of shells using Hodgdon powders and tapered hulls.

The two loads you listed are going to be in the 1180fps area. The Remington hull load may even push 1200fps. I've always found that Hodgdon's speed data to be a little conservative when measure by a chonograph that is readily available to the public.

If you're happy with the performance of these two shells, the speed is a mute point. The difference in time to impact of these to shells is negligible.

ss

3. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

The only reason that the data would be a little conservative is because all the powder manufacturers do their testing out of a 28 inch barrel, where as most trapshooters do their testing through 30, 32, or even 34 inch barrels.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Robert, your want to get the "actual velocity" may be a problem for you. The length of your test barrel, the choke you use to test loads, ambient temperature when testing and so on all contribute to the reading you get with shot shells with a typical, homeowner chronograph. I used Int'l Clays quite a bit at one time and
    I have chronographed similar, not exact, loads to yours and had readings in the 1190/1230 area but without comparing the results with factory loads, I can't be sure how "actual" the velocity is/was. If you really want to know the "actual velocity" I suggest you send samples to someone with a professional test barrel and chronograph; I understand that DownRange wads will test your loads for you.......Bob Dodd

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Sky screen hoe consumer Chronographs use light sensing and measure the leading pellets' speed, whereas industry models use an inductive coil system to measure the center mass of the charge.

For the most part it is proper to subtract 20-30 FPS from home chronograph readings.

HM

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

The industry tests (not skeet loads)) through 30-inch, full-choke barrels. HMB's estimate is likely to be about right if you use a full choke for testing. The difference will be less if you use a cylinder choke as you should, because variability will be less too.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

international clays in remtington hulls

sts rementon trap reloads international clays