1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

International Clays for Handicap???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gasman03, Mar 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gasman03

gasman03 Member

I am trying to work up a handicap load for my son. I am looking at International clays in a Nitro/STS hull with a TGT12 wad Fio 616 primer looking for about 1235 with about 9000 pressure. Does this sound good?

Corey

2. doubles100

doubles100 TS Member

what is his yardage?

3. gasman03

gasman03 Member

23 to 25 max I would guess

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

You may need to sub a Fig 8 wad for the TGT 12 to get everything in. I load 20.7 for 1235 with a CCI primer and with the fig 8 it is a good fit. HOWEVER this load and most others using International Clays will be running 10,100+ psi for any load over 1200 fps. When I tried to use the TGT12 I usually ended up with a slight bulge in the crimp.

--- Chip King ---

5. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

i would recommend international clays over any other handicap powder out there. I have loaded it for several years and I have a ton of various loads that work really well from any where. my favorite is 21.5 grains in a gold medal, windjammer wad, 1 1/8, and a fio 616 primer. I shoot alot of protection programs and I have found that this load works well as a call or backup shell from the 27 yard line. hope I could help aj

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Beretta Young Gun - Yes, International Clays is a good handicap load powder. It is almost as good as Green Dot.

Pat Ireland

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Another good handicap powder to consider is Hodgdon Titegroup

8. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

gasman03 – I have shot quite a bit of International for handicap loads and it works fine --- I used Clays for 1 ounce 16 yard loads and first shot at doubles and International for 27 yard loads and second shot at doubles……Then I discovered what a lot of people already knew – Green Dot. I have found that Green Dot is a little easier on the shoulder and very hard on targets. My 1 1/8 ounce #7 ½ loads run about 1180 pfs and work very well….Personally – I prefer Green Dot over International

9. front242

front242 Member

Dr. Trap,

Would you post your load recipe? Sounds interesting. Looks like green dot makes substantially less pressure than Int'l clays according to the loading info.

Thanks in advance
    Tim
    F242

10. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

Tim F242 - I used Win AA hulls (new type) - Win 209 primers - my #32 MEC bushing will drop between 18.7 and 18.9 grains of Green Dot. Generally use Winchester Orange wads - 1 1/8 mag #7 1/2 shot --- Some people consider this a light load - but it gets the job done and is a pleasure to shoot -

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.