1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

international clays are the same?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by motordoctor, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

here is the question. I always thought that the international clays were heavier, harder and thicker then standard clays. I picked up two at cardinal this weekend. Pictures show AA white flyer (3.5 oz) and Blackbird International (3.8 oz"). Yes the international is .3 oz heavier but really does not seem to be any different then the regular targets. I did not get any other samples. Any of you know what the difference might be. I remember that the international were a lot thicker and almost dropped on the ground and did not break. Is this a fluke Help. Motordoc

<a href="http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d14/onholdguy/?action=view¤t=dscn0001.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

2. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

The international are thrown out of the trap at much greater velocities, therefor have to be able to take more punishment and that's the reason for the difference as far as I know. That's also why clubs charge more because the clays are more expensive.

3. Texas Crew'd

Texas Crew'd Member

MotorDoc

I don't have my rule book handy but I believe the international target specs are 110 mm vs. 108 mm for ATA. They a alot less fragile as well. I don't recall the weights or heights off hand. I do know at World Cups etc that targets are measured and weighed to ensure they are in spec. They do this with ammo as well and take a shell from all finals shooters to be weighed and measured. Firearms are inspected as well as appearal prior to the start of the event.

A little more info than just targets but I thought you might find it interesting.

Garry

4. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

They are heavier and are 110mm instead of 108mm and if memory serves me correctly are slightly shorter in stature in overall height.

International targets are thrown at a much faster speed and for farther distances and to achieve that they are what they are. Its not really that they are different but it is more like American skeet and trap targets are made to break easier than the rest of the worlds targets because we dont want to shoot the difficult sports.

5. motordoctor

the international one is just slightly larger but when you place them on the table the AA target is actually a little higher or taller. I know they throw them harder and faster, and farther but this is one that I can't figure out. This is not a scientific test but just a sample of two targets picked up. motordoc

6. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

International targets are 2mm larger in diameter (110mm vs 108mm) than the American targets. International targets are also lower in profile (shorter in height) than the American targets. International targets are also heavier than American targets. An International vs American target is this way because it is thrown 83 yards, which is 33 yards farther than American targets and at a much faster speed.

Sportshot ... yes WhiteFlyer does make an international target and they are higher priced than the regular targets but by less than $1 a case.

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I had a gentleman in from Ireland the other day and we got to talking about our trap disciplines and when I asked about "International Trap", he had to correct me - as he shoots DTL (Down the Line) which must be very similar to American Trap and is not to be confused with their "Trench" trap or International Trap as we call it. Their Wobble Trap is "Dropping Ball"?!

He went 25 straight on the first squad. In DTL they are allowed a 2nd shot, but it is worth less than hitting the bird with the first. He thought our
    2-hole was much easier than theirs (similar to 3-hole).

Any thoughts on whether targets for DTL are different than IT?!

Jay

8. motordoctor

the international one is just slightly larger but when you place them on the table the AA target is actually a little higher or taller. I know they throw them harder and faster, and farther but this is one that I can't figure out. This is not a scientific test but just a sample of two targets picked up. motordoc

9. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

International targets are 2mm larger in diameter (110mm vs 108mm) than the American targets. International targets are also lower in profile (shorter in height) than the American targets. International targets are also heavier than American targets. An International vs American target is this way because it is thrown 83 yards, which is 33 yards farther than American targets and at a much faster speed.

Sportshot ... yes WhiteFlyer does make an international target and they are higher priced than the regular targets but by less than $1 a case.

10. spitter

I had a gentleman in from Ireland the other day and we got to talking about our trap disciplines and when I asked about "International Trap", he had to correct me - as he shoots DTL (Down the Line) which must be very similar to American Trap and is not to be confused with their "Trench" trap or International Trap as we call it. Their Wobble Trap is "Dropping Ball"?!

He went 25 straight on the first squad. In DTL they are allowed a 2nd shot, but it is worth less than hitting the bird with the first. He thought our
    2-hole was much easier than theirs (similar to 3-hole).

Any thoughts on whether targets for DTL are different than IT?!

Jay

11. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: 2MM difference would not be a problem in our target carosel

Not all machines without modification can hold the international sized target.

Check the manual...

Also, if you have the old Winchester machines I believe you had to use the international arm. At least the skeet machines required this.

As for target cost. They do cost more than regular targets and most clubs charge accordingly.

12. spitter

Sportshot:

Thanks for that clarification!

Jay

13. TrapTech

TrapTech TS Member

International Targets are generally just called "Standard" here in the UK and Europe as we don't use any other. If we have to refer to an ATA target we just call it "American".

The main differences are that the diameter is 110mm +/- 1mm, height 25-26mm and weight must be 105g +/- 5g.

Depending on which traps you have adjustment from ATA to International can vary from easy to expensive! It's mainly the carousels which are the problem, some manufacturers will take both without adjustment, some require a complete new carousel.

I'd just like to add with my tongue in cheek...yes the International targets are harder to break than an ATA so why do you guys need 1 1/8oz when we use 7/8 for bunker...lol

Andy Herrett
    Laporte Trap Technician UK

14. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

To make up for the difference in volocity silly......I personally don't shoot 1 1/8 loads.

15. motordoctor

interesting Andy. The international target on a regular digital scale weighs 3.8 oz but when switched to grams weighs 106 grams which is international and stamped international. the American target weighs 96 grams and 3.4 ounces. guess it is international after all. It is slightly larger but I thought that the international target was actually heavier and really thicker. I learn something everyday. motordoc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.