1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

International Clays and Tubes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeezix, Feb 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeezix

skeezix Member

Jan 29, 2006
    I've asked this over on shotgunworld - but I'd like to ask here as well. The premis of my question is that International Clays is said to be hard on tubes - both Briley and Kolar. My question is is there any data on this, or is it just anecdotal evidence?

I use Universal for my 20 gauge loads, but I know several folks who use International Clays - some of them have recently experienced tube cracking issues. But I know folks who have cracked tubes with Universal as well - loads right out of the book, not hot loads.

John H
  2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Because of the thinness of the tubes in the chamber area, most of the manufactures have had problems with their 20ga tubes. Combine this with high PSI loads and you're asking for trouble. Look at the PSI ratings of a 20ga shell reloaded with International Clays. It doesn't take much deviation to get a load that is above SAMMI recomendations. I use Universal for 20 ga loads and everything is just fine.

3. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

Jan 29, 1998
    A few years ago, info was going around about 20 gauge tubes cracking much too frequently using Green Dot powder reloads (again, they were safe normal loads from reloading manuals). They were loads that were fine in actual 20 gauge guns, but were causing problems with tube sets. I don't remember if there was any official word from Briley or Kolar, but the general concensus seemed to be that it would be better to use Unique instead of Green Dot because of the difference in the pressure curve ---- since the problems weren't showing up with Unique.

I haven't heard the same thing regarding International Clays, but since its burning rate is very similar to Green Dot, perhaps there is some truth to it.

I load Unique in the 20, so I would use Universal Clays if I wasn't using Alliant powders.
  4. tj303

tj303 Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Ithaca, NY
    I agree with ec90t.
  5. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Here is a question to ask at SGW. "How many shooters get cracked tubes with factory ammo? How many get cracked tubes with Univerisale, Unique, and 20/28?" I'd guess you'll find they all had cracked tubes.

Those I know that use International in 20 gauge just shoot 12 and 20 gauges, and are looking for a single powder for both. Since few of those use tubes for the 20, I'd guess there is no problem.

But most folks using tubes in the 20 gauge, are also using tubes in 28. You have to get a powder for 28 anyway, so why not just get one powder that will work in both 20 and 28, e.g. Universal, 20/28, Unique?
  6. jwwise

jwwise TS Member

Feb 17, 2009
    skeezix, I use universal clays and have since Hodgdon started making it without any problems. I have two guns with tube sets in them and have been shooting them for 25 yrs or more without a cracked tube.
    I have seen people crack tubes using International, Green Dot, Pb and several other powders, including Universal. The ones that were cracked using Universal in all cases sounded like a heavy load instead of the correct load meaning the report was louder than normal. I have talked to Briley and Kolar about the problem and they both say to not use any powder with pressures over 11,000 psi in tubesets. Hope this helps. jww
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.