1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

International Clays and Cheddites

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by thomaslea1, Mar 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

Bought some International Clays intending to have one powder for 1oz, 1 1/8oz 12 gauge and 7/8oz 20 gauge. Loaded up some 1oz 12's and was disappointed in the unburned powder left behind. Loaded once fired Federal Top Gun hulls, Claybuster CB6100-12 wad, 7 1/2 shot, Cheddite primers and two different powder charges. One at 20.3gr and one at 21.3gr Both loads left the barrel dirty with unburned powder.
    Are the Cheddite primers the culprits or something else?????

2. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Sounds like your using to much powder.

3. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I doubt that it is the primers I use cheddites with int clays in both 1oz and 1 1/8 loads both burn pretty clean some wads designed for tapered cases don't work well in federal cases I would try a different wad I use the dr 12so clone and it has always worked well for 1 oz.loads.Jerry

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Don't know but I had a similar experience (in chilly temps) with regular Clays (not INT) & Noble Sport primers. No problems with Rems. or Cheddites. Tried both 700X or Promo with any 1 of those 3 primers and no problems. Go figure????? If you do figure it out please share your findings. Ross Puls

5. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

What JD said, also you are not generating enough pressure to burn clean for 1oz. loads with only 20.3 grains of international powder. Suggest you download the loading data from Hodgdon for gold medal cases, same recipes work for game load cases.

Robert

6. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

As Jerry said, I think you are using the wrong wad to develop enough pressure for a complete burn. The Cheddite primer should provide plenty of spark to burn your powder.

7. Tom Ruble

Tom Ruble TS Member

You might examine your crimp depth. Is your crimp too shallow? It is my belief that most powders need a certain amount of "setback" to operate efficiently, especially progressive burning powders like International. A deeper crimp provides a certain amount of "setback" allowing some time for the powder to burn more completely. A deeper crimp increases the chamber pressure. Break 'em all! Tom Ruble

8. bigben

bigben Active Member

Try using the Federal 12so for 1 oz wads and the federal 12s3 for your 1 1/8 oz loads, your problems will probably be gone. incinerate em!

9. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

I use International Clays with Win primers, and CB wads in 1 1/8 and 1 oz loads and didn't have that problem. But my 7/8 oz I did.

10. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

The problem is the 1 oz. load. Not ideal for Int'l Clays. The ideal payload for Int'l Clays is 1 1/8 oz. Everything else is fine. Int'l Clays is similar in burn rate to Green Dot.

11. Orange49

Orange49 TS Member

I think it's the amount of powder you are using. I've loaded a few thousand 1oz rounds using cheddites and intl clay with no problems. I'm loading 17.5gr of intl clays, cheddites, downrange XL1 in AA shells about 1180 fps no problems at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

international clays