1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Internal Dial Caliper for measuring bores?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeet_man, Nov 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

How well would this work for measuring barrel IDs and choke IDs? Seems like it'd work just as well as the stan baker or CSP bore gauges for alot less money (advertised accuracy is the same as the CSP gauge). Leg length is 3.25", which would be long enough for 99% of what I'd need it for, and it would work .410 through 12ga (and larger if I needed it). To get a shotgun bore gauge w/ the same range would be over $400, I can get this one for $70 I first saw it in brownells, but you can buy it direct from the maker (importer?) for less $

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

NOt a good choice. Leg length of 3&1/4 barely gets you past the choke. Or the forcing cone if you're on the other end.

I use a telescoping hole guage, which is shorter, but I rigged an extension holder for it.

cheaper too.

HM

3. TC

TC TS Member

I have dealt with Enco since back in the early 70's. We would use them for disposable tool kits.

Enco tools are the Dollar Store line. Quality and accuracy are somewhat lacking, but they are better than nothing, if that will work for you. Tony

4. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I use a cheap snap gauge kit & measure that with a mike. You just have to be careful getting it past the choke. A thousanth or 2 is not really that critcal.
    Tom Lobonc

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

That was the first guage I purchased...about 25 yrs ago. I din't like it. I had to make sure that the bore was absolutely perpenticular to the floor, otherwise the legs like to sag to one side of the bore and if inconsitant reading. I replace it with a CSP 4-ga set.

I think I may have used that original dial indicator twice in the last 20 yrs.

HM,

How do you pull the tele guage from the bore through the choke? Or do you take the bore measurement from the chamber? What if the bore has a taper? I've seen quite a few back-bored bbls with up to .005-.007" of taper.

Doug

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Doug, my extension rod was a piece of 1/8 inch pipe size threaded hollow lamp fitting. Just happens the inside grips the knurled adjusting collar perfectly.

I found that I could get an accurate measurement by inserting and removing the guage part of the mishmash by tilting it on insertion and removal. I know it sounds dumb, but you can feel if the gauge has been compromised by the choke.

A gun with tubes is easy, just remove the tube.

I got bore readings of .726 on my 682 Beretta, and .729 on my Citori. I verified these later with a real bore guage, correct to the thousandth.

The most use I get from the hole guage is measuring chokes, then I scribe the actual size on the side.

Cost: Zilch since I already had the stuff, just put it to a different usage.

Home brew does work once in a while, provided you know where you are trying to go.

HM

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

You can get a decent set of Telescoping Bore gauges and use a Micrometer or Dial caliper for a lot less than the price of this tool. A good bore and choke gauge would cost less than twice as much and you'd not have to deal with the limitations of this one. I think it would be a waste of money and time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.