1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Intermittent failure to eject - BT99

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Aug 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

My wife’s BT 99 is acting strangely. After firing, the hull often fails to eject upon opening. She removes the hull by hand and inserts the next round. When the gun is next fired, you can hear the click of the firing pin when the trigger is pulled, but there’s no boom. Opening the gun does not eject the shell. It must be removed manually.

At first we thought the firing pin was broken. That doesn’t seem to be the case because the gun still fires once in awhile - and I can see the firing pin protruded as always.

I’m cleaning the gun this morning and I’ve had the same intermittent failure to eject with a snap cap. I can pull the trigger normally and hear the firing pin. Upon opening the gun, the shell often doesn’t eject.

Is there something that needs cleaning or adjusting that I’m not getting?

Larry

2. hfrogdogc

hfrogdogc Member

I had the same thing, PHILLIPS fixed it. the rod was rubbing making the shell eject only part time. Henry

3. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like an ejector rod problem. It may be bent to the point where the mainspring sleeve is stopping the full forward force of the hammer, then when you open the breech the rod is still stuck back in the hole for the rod and is not sticking out far enough to set the ejectors. Is the rod on the left side of the receiver front, where the forend iron moves against the receiver, sticking out when you disassemble the barrel from the receiver, with the trigger and hammer spring tension released? Best thing to do is take off the stock, assemble the gun and put a snap cap in the chamber, pull the trigger, and open the breech. That way you can check the operation of the rod inside the receiver and diagnose the problem. Sometimes the little guide disk that is welded on the rod breaks off and causes problems. It may be possible that it is the mainspring. That may not be pushing the mainspring sleeve forward enough to push the rod into the forend, which sets the ejectors.

4. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

Thanks for the input. I'll make sure to get it to a gunsmith.

Larry

5. kene

kene TS Member

I have been having a similar problem -- took the gun apart and looked at the ejector rod several times -- polished it to take some surface "corrosion" off, lubed it with STOS or gun oil [not at the same time] and even tried it with no lube on the rod. same problem would recur with new and reloaded shells. always ejects with snap cap, always ejects a previously fired empty hull but SOMETIMES ejects a shell that has just been fired [can close the gun and pull the trigger - then it works 95% of the time]. making me nuts ...

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Easy fix. The usual problem is that the ejector rod, after a while tends to get bent a teeny bit more, making its effective length shorter. this prevents it from tripping the ejector reliably.

I have fixed about 10 of these. Remove the stock, remove the ejector rod, and squeeze it in a vise to straighten it a teence. It should stick out noticeably in the fired mode.

It's quite springy and I had to hit a couple of them 2-3 times. I don't squeeze it very hard.

HM

7. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

What halfmile said. I had the same problem with my BT-99 & I straightened the rod so that is protrudes about .050" from the receiver face & it has worked great since. John

8. kene

kene TS Member

just to be very clear on this -- I should take the ejector rod out and straighten the part of the rod that goes from the "disk" out thru the front of the receiver by putting it in a vice and squeezing ...???

thanks

kene

9. kene

kene TS Member

I have had the problem and searching the web using google it appears to me that it is a relatively common one but is a bit tricky to correct ... after reading this post and others I went back into the gun and pulled the ejector rod one more time [getting good at doing that] and sure enough it had a slight bend to it and it was only protruding about .043-,045 from the front of the action -- put it on a heavy duty flat surface and solidly hit it several times with a brass hammer -- that took most of the bend out -- put it back into the gun and measured the protrusion -- it went up to about .053. gun seems to be working OK with snap caps etc so at least I din't hurt it too much. will be at the club on Thurs to see if the ejector works properly and consistently with live shells

kene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bt 99 fails to eject