1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Intermittent cross eye dominance

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rlmims, Jul 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rlmims

rlmims TS Member

Been having problems with left eye becoming dominate during shooting. Doesn't matter what I shoot (trap, skeet or sporting clays). I do not have any warning but it seems more frequent when the bird is going from right to left. I have tried the tape on left lens, but that (to me) is like shooting with one eye closed. Have to get prescription change for my glasses in a few weeks & this is my question.

When I order my new shooting glasses have the proper prescription in the right lens & plain glass (no prescription) in the left lens. That way I can keep both eyes open & left eye will not be in good focus (hopefuly not becoming dominate). What do yall think of this idea, has anyone else tried this & if so, how well did it work?

Thanks for any input.

Lynn from Bama

2. otnot

otnot Active Member

I have the same problem. I have tried a dark lens on my left eye but it gave me a head ache. I tried no contact in my left eye and one in the right eye but I still cross fired. I have found that between shots, if I close my left eye until it's time to shoot I don't cross fire. I'm interested to see if anyone has tried what your proposing.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Lynn- Look up induced myopia. Your idea is not a good idea. What is wrong with shooting with one eye? Your field of vision will be limited a little, but you want your field of vision limited to the target. Depth perception will be only slightly reduced and you have no need for relative depth perception if you are only looking at one thing. You would probably have to lower your gun hold and as strange as this sounds, that will most likely make you shoot faster.

Pat Ireland

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It's a good idea, but instead of no correction for your left eye, get a weak correction. For example if your normal perscription is +2.00 diopters get +1.00. That way your right eye will have the best image of the target and your brain will use that image when you are shooting. HMB

5. gspointer

gspointer TS Member

i'm left eye dominant and use tape just above the left eye field of vision, seems to work well for me. Wish I did't have the problem.

6. Hivoltfl

Hivoltfl Member

I asked my Doctor about this very same problem, HMO Doc, he was not helpful at all, according to him its a brain problem not an eye problem, I suspect this HMO much prefers I die than attempt to fix a problem.

Rick

7. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

put a blinder on your rib so the left eye can't see the front bead.

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Lynn.dont' do it. Your brain will be confused. I tried that.

Simple fix is to hold a lower gun. Try that first. I worked on your problem all last year and am shooting OK now.

9. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Lynn from Bama,

Get a second opinion from Dr. Lehman in Texas (Bob Brister's shooting eyeglass provider)......give him a call.....

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote>"I asked my Doctor about this very same problem, HMO Doc, he was not helpful at all, according to him its a brain problem not an eye problem...</blockquote>

Your doc is right. Of course it's a brain problem. Your brain selects the eye it wants to be dominant; your eyes have no say in the matter. The only way that most of us can deal with the situation is to block the input from the eye that we DON'T want seeing the target.

Since depth perception is not a major issue in trap shooting, blocking off the offending eye is the best solution for many of us. I tried the weak prescription thing and it made be feel like I was drunk without the satisfaction of having gotten that way...dizzy, light-headed, queasy stomach.

Using a bead blocker doesn't work for some people because it's not the bead that's the problem... I took mine off just to prove it to myself. The problem is that the wrong eye sees the target, not the bead.

MK

11. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

I suffer from the same cross dominance issues, tried all the above mentioned methods with unsatisfactory success. I finally came to the realization that shooting with both eyes open was overrated and began learning to shoot one-eyed. Hold a lower gun so the target can't rise below the barrel and learn to adapt is the best advice I can give. My scores and confidence both went up after accepting my limitations.

Robert

12. Mark Kurruk

Mark Kurruk Member

Thanks for this thread. I have been dealing with this issue for two years. I have to agree with Robert. I too have tried all of the above mentioned cures and nothing works except to close the left eye. I have not tried the eye patch, might be interesting in that I would not have to work at closing the left eye. Yes, at times I can shoot two eyed and do very well but as posted here I never know when up pops the devil and I cannot hit targets, especially left handers, but even rights, straights and quarters can be a problem.
    Mark

13. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

I believe that it would be more comfortable with an eye patch.

14. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

I have the same problem. I have no problem as a one eyed shooter with trap. Skeet is a little harder. I need my left eye to pick up the High House Station Two bird. So, as soon as I pick up the bird and start my swing, I close my left eye and finish the shot with my right eye. I loose a little time in the transition, but it works for me. I haven't figured out Sporting Clays yet. I know, stick to Trap and forget the other stuff. But I like shooting all the shotgun sports.

Billy

15. rlmims

rlmims TS Member

Thanks for all the input. I will have to set back & think all this over.

Pat, when shooting trap I have no problem just shooting one eyed, but at sporting clays it really hurts picking up targets from the left. What I try to do is look to the left with both eyes, pick up the target & then close or wink left eye. Bigest problem with this method is when I close my left eye the sight picture changes so much that I am now chasing to catch up with the target.

Again thanks for all the input, Yall come.

Lynn from Bama

16. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I struggled with all of the above and I installed a magic dot and now things are good. Mite not work for all but certainly worked wonders for my shooting.

17. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I too suffer from the intermittent but not consistent crossfire. I watched Phil Kiner's video about 5 times and his statement that "the problem is not that the left eye sees the bead but the problem is the left eye locks on the target" just blew me away. What seems to happen to me is on some left angle targets, I see the target alright I just haven't got a clue where my gun barrel is at the time. I use the Uni-Dot hooded fiber optic bead in small 2 mm size and on right angle targets I notice the bead and the target at the same time but on left angles I get those mystery misses.

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You might think you are using both eyes to see the target. But your brain is only using the image from the dominant eye when aiming at a target. HMB

19. Mapper

Mapper Member

Aha, sounds like the story of my life, recently. Nothing I have tried worked satisfactorily. I do notice that bright sunlight seems to work better for me. I also have a dark purple left lens and a translucent disc over it. I call for the bird with my left eye shut. Sometime during the process it seems to open. Usually that is successful, if I remember all the routine.

20. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

MikeTMX. I completely agree with your Phil Kiner statement. Taht is exactly what I do when I concentrate on seeing the bird leave the house. I lock on it with my left eye. (I am RH). To caunteract this problem, I have stopped concentrating on the bird leaving the house and wait to have it appear as a "target" out over the house, or out in the sky. The bbl then flows to the target for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
croos eye dominance sporting clay shooting
cross dominance sporting clays
eye closed trap clays

intermittant eye dominance

intermittent cross dominance eye
intermittent eye dominance
partialeyedominancetrapshooting