1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

interior safe lights

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RAScott, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RAScott

RAScott Member

I have 2 safes in my home. I have been thinking of installing lights in my main safe. I didnt see to many options for the interior lights. I installed a few of those battery operated push lights. They worked pretty good but not that good and you had to turn them on and off individualy, Well a week ago i was at Costco and seen a 6 pack of battery LED lights each light had 3 LED lights inside with a remote.
    I installed these in the interior of the safe and they work great. it comes with a remote that works wireless it has a high an low beam shuts off in 30 minutes if you want. It cost about 26.00 and works great. 6 Bright LED lights with 3 leds in each light. just for what its worth. What do you have to illuminate your happy place?
    Bob S

2. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Get yourself some low voltage LED lights from an RV store, these can be powered by a 300 milliamp transformer that are used for small electronic gadgets. You could wire in a micro switch to turn the lights on and off when you open and close the door. LED's are the best way to go, low heat long life and small current draw.

Sufer

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I saw a very long LED rope light at Wal-Mart that I'm thinkig about stringing all around inside my safe. Just have to get an outlet wired first.

-Gary

4. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I would reccomend 12 volt over 120.

Surfer

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Surfer:

If you have 120VAC in the safe, what's the difference? 120V LEDs in a clear hose seems pretty innocuous, right?

-Gary

6. 808state

808state Member

Checkout http://inlinefabrication.com/

7. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

Browning has a very nice set of led lights that come with a motion sensor, so when the door is opened, the lights come on. Also has an adjustable delay for how long the lights stay on if it detects no movement. You can check them out at the above link. I've tried all types of lights for my safes, and these are the best I've found. Garrett

8. Lawman214

Lawman214 TS Member

Ebay is the place. Do a search for "5050 LED Strip Lights," and you will find tons of them. Just about all of them come out of China, but what doesn't any more? Come in a 5 meter roll, and you can even get fancy color changing ones if that's your thing. Typically you can get a roll of led strip lights, power supply, and remote for less than 35 bucks, including shipping. Wire them in with a jamb switch on the safe door, and they come on when you open the door. Doesn't get much slicker than that.

9. APrice

APrice Active Member

The purpose of the lights is to help you see the interior of the safe in low light conditions. The purpose of the Golden Rod is to help control humidity.

10. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

lighttechauto.com sells a safe light kit. These are micro LEDs in a flexible strip that can be powered by 110 or battery. It is very bright. If you give me an email address, I can send you a pict. I am very pleased with the produce.
    Dave

11. morgaj1

morgaj1 Member

The kit in the above link is the best deal IMO. It is on sale for $18.99

12. Lawman214

Lawman214 TS Member

Hey Dog...The purpose of lights in a gun safe is to provide LIGHT, not heat. If you rely on a light to control humidity in your gun safe, what do you do...leave it on all the time?

13. KS5SPECIAL

KS5SPECIAL Member

I bought a rope light,runs on 110v.there is a hole in the safe already for the power cord. Rope light was about 25 foot long. i just strung it back and forth and up and down along the interior.
    works great, a little bit of work to mount it but worth the time. Inside is lit up great.

14. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Like Aprice said. Golden Rod for humidity control, and plug the rope lights in for lighting. They make button switches that can be installed on the door opening, to control the lights.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.