1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Interesting trend this year...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Jun 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

I'm a member of a very small club in Vermont. We shoot once a week. This year, for the first time (in the 6 years I've been a member) we've noticed absolutely NO newbies. Usually we have 1-2 new faces show up, shoot a round or two, sometimes return, sometimes we never see them again. This year we have not had ONE new person show up. Just the usual and customary shooters.

Economy?

No, I'm not looking for ideas to attract people. We've got LOTS of ideas, just limited funds and limited people to work on things.

Just wondering if other clubs are having the same trend....

capvan

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I'm sure your not the only club!!!

3. RAScott

RAScott Member

May i ask what club? I used to belong to a club in ST.Josnsbury. it was a nice club i only went there once but I belong to 2 currently and considering rejoining the VT club.

Bob S

4. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I was just at my club shooting some handicap practice and a local kid showed up and mentioned that he wanted to get into trap. He shot a 2/25 from the 16 with a gun he just bought last week. Hopefully he turns into a frequent shooter.

5. revbook

revbook Member

My club avearges 45 new members a month, every month for the past year. Just word of mouth I guess. We offer Archery, Trap (8 houses), Skeet, Pistol (indoor and 7 outside bays), all forms of rifle, room to hunt, a field for dog training and a partridge in a pear tree. Dues are $60.00 per year. We educate the young every chance we get, bb gun shoots, Boy Scout Merit badge events and hunters safety.

6. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

It's not the economy... you're INVISIBLE - no one knows you're there. The club/range is preaching only to the choir.

Put a sign on the road pointing to your range and say "Open to the Public"... that doesn't have to cost much and it'll bring in traffic...

You think the club is very small now... do nothing and in a year or two it'll be a very, very, very small club...

Respectfully,

Jay

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"My club avearges 45 new members a month"

rev--Is that a typo in your post above? Did you mean 4 to 5 per month? If not you guys are doing something right to be getting 45 new shooters/month.

8. Kingbang

Kingbang TS Member

Capvan? Ideas are great, but you have to do something. I know you don't want ideas? so I wont offer. Rich219 if that guy comes back you will be lucky!! My bet is he don't. Gentlemen we are in the entertainment business. 2/25 is not fun. Capvan if new shooters are not coming to your club? You need to ask yourselves why. The clubs that have rifle pistol archery and clay target sports are growing more than single venue clay target clubs. This clay target game has changed the last 4-5 years. Registered trap shoots are way down in most parts of the country. The ATA and PITA are searching for answers. There is not one easy answer. We offer all four shotgun venues today. Our membership is up 4 times from 4 years ago.We only offered trap back then. Our next biggest venue? Instruction! The results are incredible!

Dennis

cgesc.com

9. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I'm with Rev....our club is averaging close to 100 (yes, ONE HUNDRED) new members a month. selling FIVE OR SIX a day.

We have 4 rifle ranges, 300 yard max, and 4 25 yard pistol ranges. 5 trap fields, 4 skeet/trap combo fields, 3 five stand layouts and a sporting clay walkthrough. Open to the public, we charge $15 per day to shoot....but a membership, with full card access to the gate, is $175. Members get a $1 discount on the round of trap / skeet - $5.50.

We run fall and spring leagues...full up, no room for new teams. Leagues run 3 nights a week, from 530 to 9pm, and every field is full.

We threw 2.6 million targets last year...they say we're on pace to through over 3 million this year. We're bringing in containers of White Flyers every two weeks, sometimes sooner.

Our manager is busting his ass...on the weekends when there isn't a registered shoot, he throws 100 non-registered singles, $5 lewis included just for fun. or a side by side 5 stand shoot. or "three in the air" down at five stand. Or 50 handicap / 50 skeet / 50 five stand. On the rifle side, they shoot .22 silloette (sp?), or drag out all the steel targets and shoot steel challenge.

None of this is cheap...we have a full time manager, a full time counter gal, a staff of 15 or so trap boys, mechanic, full time rifle manager. The manager makes north of...well, I shouldn't say. But its a good wage.

There's so damn many new faces at our registered shoots I don't know 1/4 of the folks anymore. Which is good!!!

Offer it...they will come.

Jeff

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned

Jeff, what state are you in?

11. dverna

dverna Active Member

Surprisingly we have had more new faces this year than in the last few. We are a trap only club.

Our biggest problem is lack of volunteers to get things done so some jobs are getting out sourced.

Don Verna

12. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

Alaska....

There are only two other clubs within 35 miles (Grouse Ridge in Wasilla and the state run facility in south anchorage...name escapes me, I never go there, they have to shoot steel shot, so its not a serious competitor).

Anchorage (the greater metropolitan area, LOL) is about 300k folks within 35 miles or of the club.

So we have a pretty small population, but we're close to the only game in town.

13. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Prince George Trap and Skeet in Maryland is picking up new members all of the time as well. They also have a full time manager, paid trap help, and mulitple disciplines. There are a lot of other clubs in the area, but these guys are always on the ball, having youth instruction every weekend, hosting corporate functions, league involvement, etc. PG also has an advertising budget. They are always gaining new membership, especially with young shooters in their 20s. Good job, PG!

14. missed some

missed some TS Member

100 members a month, wow, in 5 years we will all be members of your club.....good job.

15. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I'm kinda divided on whether its a good thing...right now you can't get a spot on a pistol or rifle range on a Saturday or Sunday...its just PACKED down there.

We haven't seen the increase in numbers on the shotgun side that the rifle range has...but we're getting some. Most of the new shooters are shooting Glocks, A/R's or some form of 'black gun'. That's not a big deal, they do scatter reloadable brass everywhere. Friend of mine picked up near to a 5 gallon bucket of 45s a while back.

And obviously, we'll see a slowdown soon...there's no way to keep that kind of numbers going. We did have to turn away teams from the spring shotgun league...just no open fields for them. I think the final count was 52 or 55 teams, in 3 seperate divisions, plus a slug of teams shooting in a seperate two leg (50 targets per week instead of 75) league.

We had 'youth day' two weeks ago...400 kids out shooting everything. I heard they sold 20 memberships that day alone.

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Yeah, Obangya is the best rifle/handgun and ammo salesman ever!

Hap

17. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

EXPOSURE!!!

Up until three years ago, our club wasn't making any money, but going into the hole. We had about 10 league teams, with most shooting for $4.50 per round. Memebership was/is at $40. Once the leagues were done, the income ceased except for our annual fund-raiser. The fund-raiser covered the last year's costs, but we were always heading into a deficit the current shooting year.

Three years ago we had a major BOD change. Brought in a majority of conservative business owners. First line of business was cleaning up the grounds and clubhouse. Next we got a website up and running and CURRENT. We had small flyers made up and approach all of the resorts and the Chamber of Commerce to insert these flyers with every one of their brochures. Nonmember shooting is about 25% of what we take in each year.

We also began shooting registered targets a couple of times during the year. Up here in the northwoods, there are not many registered shooters so we get about 8-12 shooters each time, but those few shooters do bring us about $400 each time.

All of the help is paid..part-time. We have a good club manager and employees. A new visitor never stands around wondering, someone always greets them.

The past three years have seen very good growth. Last year was just great, and we hope we can do it again. Our club is only open from the first of May to the end of October, because of the deep snow and cold we close during the winter. We do open twice a month during the winter if the temp is at least 10 above. (highly unlikely in Jan.)

We began a youth trapshooting program last year and have built on that this year. The community is slowly embracing it and we've gotten donations just to use for the kids. By-the-way, our club picks up the cost for the kids....targets and ammo, we have 15 kids this year.

Exposure!!!

Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.